Ahhh, comfort food!

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Ahhh, comfort food!

Post by woundedknees »

I spent the weekend in Klamath Falls, helping a cousin afflicted with lymphoma get her house and yard in order. While there, I decided to grab some take out from a nearby diner suggested by one of her neighbors (The cousin is in chemotherapy, and can't go out in public).

The place is called "Back 40 Café" , and located on S. 6th Street.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, price and service at this small venue.

The special I ordered for myself was the chili burger ($8). The meat was locally raised, grass fed organic beef from Prather Ranch. The patty was close to 1/2 pound of beef, on a large sesame seed roll. Since I was planning to take it back to the house, I had them serve the chili on the side.

It was fresh made chili (a full 16 oz. cup).

I also ordered fries... which were cut and cooked on the spot, from those huge Klamath baker size potatoes. They came in a separate take-out box, since the burger left no room for additional food.

This was easily enough for 2 meals for me, and I tend to eat well... As Dan Ackroyd would say, "Consume mass quantities!"

I also ordered for the rest of our group... 2 chicken fried steaks, with baked potatoes and country gravy (Large chunks of sausage in the gravy), as well as a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes, gravy, and steamed, fresh veggies.

While we were waiting for our order to be prepared, I shared a chocolate shake ($3.50) with my daughter. The waitress offered separate cups. What was served turned out to be 2 full 20 oz. containers of rich, creamy shake.

The order also included 2 small green salads, as well as 16 oz. of the soup of the day, which was a very good creamy chicken chipotle.

Not bad for a total of less than $40.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Ahhh, comfort food!

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Meanwhile, my wife and I go to PF Changs and order soup, an Appetizer, and share an entree, yet our bill exceeds $40.

Next time I'm in Klammath Falls, visiting my grandma-in-law, I'll have to check this place out. Thanks for sharing wounded.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

You sound like you really enjoyed your meal which is great! But, unfortunately, other than the green salads and maybe the beef in the burger, there seems to be very little nutritional value in it. Having lived overseas for 20+ years I have come to appreciate smaller portions that include salads, vegetables, whole grains and often delicious chicken or fish, none of which is fried. I don't mean to come down on you, but on a whole to become healthier, the diet in America needs to vastly improve! My favorite restaurant in Lyon recently served a delicious monkfish appetizer, grilled halibut on risotto and salad, a dessert plate with one small scoop of ice cream, a bite-sized cake and custard, half a bottle of wine per person and espresso for about $20.00 tip included.

Notice the plane that we flew on?
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Wow, such a different culture. Only a small scoop of ice cream and a bite-sized cake, while chugging half a bottle of wine? That is bizarre.

That's nice that the French are healthy when it comes to their desserts, but it is negated by the amount of wine-drinking they do.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Wow, such a different culture. Only a small scoop of ice cream and a bite-sized cake, while chugging half a bottle of wine? That is bizarre.

That's nice that the French are healthy when it comes to their desserts, but it is negated by the amount of wine-drinking they do.
That is if you drink all of the wine and it really only fills two glasses. And there is so much more than the dessert, which is arguably the least healthy part of the meal. All of the portions are in moderation and the meal, served in separate courses, lasts longer (2 hours is not uncommon) and is not full of "filler food" like the typical US meals. Believe me, I remember the 30 minute lunches and what they served the kids when I taught middle school in Oregon. My son here has 1.5 hours to get his lunch, eat it calmly and go outside and play. Every lunch he has the choice of salads, home-cooked entrees consisting of a protein, often fish or chicken, and vegetables, cheese or yogurt and dessert where there is always a fresh fruit as an option. Food is a real science here and it is taken very seriously. It starts at birth, even baby food is much more exotic than it is in the US. This is undoubtedly one of my favorite things about living in Lyon, the gastronomic capitol of France.

Notice the plane that we flew on?