Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

chapelhillduck
Senior
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by chapelhillduck »

squintsdd
Senior
Posts: 2065
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:39 am

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by squintsdd »

droop10 wrote:In the ESPN article about the firing, something stood out to me. FSU offered Taggart the option to meet with the team after being terminated, and he declined. I understand being fired is difficult and it's probably the last thing anyone would want to do, but if you're selling these kids on being a father figure, etc., I feel like you have to suck it up and at least address the team. I think it's just further evidence that he only thinks about himself, and isn't really invested in the kids. Perhaps I'm biased, but I get the vibe that Cristobal is completely sincere in caring about the kids on his team, and I think it's a big part about why he's so successful in recruiting, and why the team buys into his vision.
A $17 million buyout. I think it's very evident that he was only thinking about himself and the money. I find it funny that some people stick up for him, saying he inherited a mess of a football program. In reality his numbers were pretty on par with his numbers at Oregon. Cristobal getting Oregon turned around proves it isn't about the attitudes on the team, but rather the coach correcting those attitudes. Taggart's teams are a direct reflection of him.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by mrpd21 »

squintsdd wrote:
droop10 wrote:In the ESPN article about the firing, something stood out to me. FSU offered Taggart the option to meet with the team after being terminated, and he declined. I understand being fired is difficult and it's probably the last thing anyone would want to do, but if you're selling these kids on being a father figure, etc., I feel like you have to suck it up and at least address the team. I think it's just further evidence that he only thinks about himself, and isn't really invested in the kids. Perhaps I'm biased, but I get the vibe that Cristobal is completely sincere in caring about the kids on his team, and I think it's a big part about why he's so successful in recruiting, and why the team buys into his vision.
A $17 million buyout. I think it's very evident that he was only thinking about himself and the money. I find it funny that some people stick up for him, saying he inherited a mess of a football program. In reality his numbers were pretty on par with his numbers at Oregon. Cristobal getting Oregon turned around proves it isn't about the attitudes on the team, but rather the coach correcting those attitudes. Taggart's teams are a direct reflection of him.
He got paid way more than he deserved but that's FSU's damn fault. Unfortunately it's also why I can't laugh as hard at him for being fired from his dream job as I want to, dude got PAID. Sure he inherited a bit of a mess but 2 things will always resonate with me:

1. The way players came out and said he flat out lied to their face as well instantly recruited against Oregon the day after he left, throwing UofO completely under the bus. You could just say FSU was always your dream job. We would have still been salty for a season because it was so abrupt but most people understand you take the opportunity if your dream job comes up.
2. The major disciplinary problems with his teams. Oregon became unhinged with penalties under his watch. MC comes in and cleans it up, WT takes the culture with him to FSU. That school is already prone to enough trouble but that man cannot keep his house in order, the players just didn't care anymore this year.

Not to mention his recycled word for word tweets while coaching his last 3 programs, not coaching the last 3 bowl games his teams were qualified for, and just being a talker and not a doer in general. He's proven that he doesn't care about the players like he has claimed, and not meeting with your team after being let go while holding a massive bag of cash speaks volumes. Say Something was a more appropriate slogan. Good riddance.
jerryblank
Two Star Recruit
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by jerryblank »

I, for one, will miss rooting against WT. The UW implosion will fill that void nicely.
User avatar
nogerO
Senior
Posts: 4516
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:48 pm
Location: Wyoming

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by nogerO »

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by greenyellow »

It won't be PJ Fleck at FSU:
Image
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40569
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Fleck is having a really good year. That Penn State game could be a program shifter for them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by Merganzer »

woundedknees
All-American
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Taggart FIRED @ FSU

Post by woundedknees »

Merganzer wrote:
What's the over/under on the departure of Leavitt, should that come to pass?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Image
Post Reply