Should seniors get another year? Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Give seniors an extra year on scholarship?

Yes, they earned it and it’s the right thing to do.....unfinished business
74%
No, that how the cookie crumbles, they’ll live.
26%

Total votes: 27
Alan
Senior

Should seniors get another year? Poll

Post by Alan »

A very good high school friend was the American representative in the 1980 Olympics and Jimmy Carter snatched away that dream, it hurt him deeply and altered his life. I am not comparing the virus and the boycott of the 80 Olympics. But to an elite athlete there are similarities. Should any senior athletic who was to participate in post season competition/tournament be allowed to return, under scholarship for an additional year? Without a loss of scholarship to the school. A bonus scholarship from the NCAA if you will. The tough part is what about sports in mid season, baseball and softball? I doubt much can be done for them, too many athletes and not a clear line on who gets one.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Should seniors get another year? Poll

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Absolutely they should, but there's a 0% chance the corrupt NCAA would allow that.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I haven't heard a good argument why they shouldn't. Will they, I don't know, but it doesn't really hurt the NCAA to give them another year so I don't know why they'd be particularly opposed to it.

Another good question is who would come back. Sabrina already passed up being the #1 pick once, would she do it again? Does Pritchard want another bite at the apple? Ruthy? Hard to predict.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Good sign
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tray Dub wrote: Good sign
Yes it is! Surprising but great sign, we’ll see?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

I'd love for the seniors to get another chance to finish their business. But, would Sabrina & Ruthy want to put off the WNBA for another year? Would the fire be the same? Satou decided to skip her senior year already. What about the five 5 *'s who are eagerly waiting to start their time as Lady Ducks? A 17 player roster?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't buy into the NCAA being as heartless and illogical as most. To me it seems like a "duh" that they'll try to figure something out.

My question is a fiscal one. If you grant all the seniors an extra year of eligibility, you're going to pay for ~25% more scholarships next year (probably closer to 15%). Some schools can afford this, but most can't (there are more Vermonts out there than there are Texases). Because the NCAA just effectively slashed their income by $1B due to cancellation of March Madness, it doesn't appear they're in a position to help. So where does the funding come from?

I think that's going to be a key issue to figure out before rolling out a plan. On top of that, does every student-athlete of all classes get granted an extra year? That's going to make recruitment of the 2020-2021 high school classes really light, as suddenly everyone will have a 'young' roster, so fringe college-level athletes in those classes get pretty screwed.

All interesting. Just some things to consider and work through. Lots and lots of stakeholders.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Merganzer wrote:I'd love for the seniors to get another chance to finish their business. But, would Sabrina & Ruthy want to put off the WNBA for another year? Would the fire be the same? Satou decided to skip her senior year already. What about the five 5 *'s who are eagerly waiting to start their time as Lady Ducks? A 17 player roster?
That's the real question, is would the ladies wanna stay another year...

And yeah they may give one year grace on roster size just because you can't say no to incoming freshmen either..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The tweet quoted refers to eligibility for spring sports. The last I knew basketball is considered a winter sport and wouldn't be affected.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

maxduck wrote:The tweet quoted refers to eligibility for spring sports. The last I knew basketball is considered a winter sport and wouldn't be affected.
The tweet says they're working on winter sports too. Nothing's guaranteed but it's hopeful.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The Associated Press is reporting that all spring athletes will get an extra year. Not much detail.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Where's the option for Duh!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

My question is how would scholarships work if they granted another year to seniors? Same questions for spring sports? Incoming freshman? Spring sports is a four year effect on scholarships, this year’s junior is next year’s junior. More scholarships? Like one poster asked, 17 person roster?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I think they'd just temporarily expand rosters to accommodate everyone. It's really the only way you could do this.