Will there be a football season?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Will there be a football season?

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:People need to realign their perception to all data and not from a micro view, but from a broader perspective.
People need to align their perception to the reality of the situation and that there are hospitals near peak capacity should anything get any worse. Further, the virus is also leaving normally healthy people with severely damaged lungs after surviving it. The data from China is all BS but we're still not acting at the same level of the South Koreans because of the general lack of concern from most people.

Acting as if everything is normal or that people are just overreacting to this doesn't do anyone any good. China and South Korea have been on lock-down for 2 months in order to control it and we're all "oh hey its nice out, let's go to the beach and get some halibut and chips."
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Biggus Duckus wrote:It doesn't affect me so I'm all for letting the vulnerable people quarantine themselves. I know people being out and about makes it exponentially harder for them, but that's their problem.
You can still be a carrier for it and plenty of young, healthy people now have damaged lungs for the rest of their life.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I value life. I do have some real concerns about the outcome of shutting everything down. In Washington they have shut down schools, restaurants, bars, churches, sporting events, musical events, etc etc etc. There are many many people who work at those places and all of them will be have drastic reductions in their ability to pay their bills. Uncle Sam is not going to be paying their mortgage, their car payments, their care for the children etc etc. I already know of workers who have lost their job due to all the drastic cuts. Who will pay their bills. Like it or not need money to pay bills and if take that away from people what do you have left. People will lose their jobs, their houses, their cars. Where does one draw the line. I am all for protecting life. I think the government on all levels have failed the people though. They shut down everything but have 0 answers to those they are directly influencing. I don't have the easy answer but my heart goes out to those who will now lose their jobs and possibly more because of the governments rash reactions to everything which also causes over reactions by people hoarding things and not thinking bout the community or the state they live in.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

There's no conclusive evidence of exactly how the virus is spread yet. There've been several cases now where people have been infected with no known cause, so it's still much too unpredictable for people to just continue to "go about there business."

Also, isolating high risk individuals will do no good if they're still in contact with ANYone! Younger people, as well as non-high risk individuals can be carriers, not know it, and display zero symptoms.

Everyone has to hunker down and avoid public gatherings until this is brought under control. It's a drag, I know, but it's the only sure way to at least slow the spread so facilities have more time to prepare for the inevitable wave of cases that are going to completely overwhelm our hospital system.

If anyone decides to ignore the problem and live their life as if nothing is happening, they're not only selfish and ignorant, but they're also putting themselves in a position to become infected and potentially spread the virus themselves. They become part of the problem, not the solution.

Don't be dumb!!!
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UofDuck wrote:I’m not sure the UK isn’t taking the right approach. Quarantine the high risk and everyone else mingle and get it over with. Time will tell.
This is my mindset for now. I’m very much so hoping I’m right but I’m personally just still not seeing numbers or projections that dictate the level of panic that is setting in.

Here’s the thing, some of you strongly disagree with me, and that’s ok. In the end, we all have our own opinions and thankfully I’m not in charge of large public sectors so my opinion is moot.

I think it’s paradoxical, almost everyone under 50 shows little to no symptoms at all, which shows that’s it’s not harmful...but because they don’t even look or feel sick it’s harmful. I think both can be true and frankly making both overall mindsets correct.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
UofDuck wrote:I’m not sure the UK isn’t taking the right approach. Quarantine the high risk and everyone else mingle and get it over with. Time will tell.
This is my mindset for now. I’m very much so hoping I’m right but I’m personally just still not seeing numbers or projections that dictate the level of panic that is setting in.

Here’s the thing, some of you strongly disagree with me, and that’s ok. In the end, we all have our own opinions and thankfully I’m not in charge of large public sectors so my opinion is moot.

I think it’s paradoxical, almost everyone under 50 shows little to no symptoms at all, which shows that’s it’s not harmful...but because they don’t even look or feel sick it’s harmful. I think both can be true and frankly making both overall mindsets correct.
This was my first mindset as well, a month ago, because I believed the virus was going to go through the population anyway so we might as well get it over with but I changed my mind because of two "what ifs".

What if you take the Boris Johnson gamble and let it run wild and one of the following happens?

1) It spreads like the flu exponentially and rapidly and the death rate percentage soars with hundreds of thousands dying of this and other conditions who would have lived with ICU care that wasn't available because it hit all at once.

2) You let the virus ramp up now, accept the deaths that occur this spring, but then the virus slows down in summer and the vaccine being tested now becomes reading available before the fall, such that most of the deaths from letting it run wild in the spring were preventable.

3) Both of the above.

These are viable possibilities even if not probabilities. The H1N1 vaccine went on line in 6 months instead of the current 12 - 18 month expectation for Covid-19. If thousands of young people, 10s of thousands of middle age people and 100s of thousands of elder people die unnecessarily because you chose the Johnson plan as opposed to what the vast majority of experts in the field think is right, that's a hell of a "my bad".
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm seeing that current projections of deaths range from 200k - 1.5 million in the U.S without a vaccine. If control means the low end versus the high end, you save 1.3 million people. As Grandpa alluded to, there is also the number of people who come in with other problems -- heart attacks, car accidents, etc etc -- that don't receive the quality of care that they otherwise would and who also wind up dying. That's the danger of flooding the hospital system instead of allowing it to string along.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My youngest Granddaughter, who lives in Tennessee, has been down for 2 weeks, with multiple symptoms, including vomiting, respiratory issues, and fever.

She finally got tested, yesterday. Now the entire household is under quarantine , at least until the results come back in 3-4 days.

What's dumb about this is she was already experiencing theses symptoms when my ex-daughter-in-law decided it was a great idea to take the kids to visit their maternal grandparents (That's right, HER parents) in Illinois for a few days.

That means crossing at least 2 sets of state lines, possibly 3, depending on the route taken.

Her Dad is pushing 70, with a bad heart. Dead center in the high risk category.

These are the type of decisions that will kill a lot of people.

Be smart people. If not for yourself, do it for those you love!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

woundedknees wrote:My youngest Granddaughter, who lives in Tennessee, has been down for 2 weeks, with multiple symptoms, including vomiting, respiratory issues, and fever.

She finally got tested, yesterday. Now the entire household is under quarantine , at least until the results come back in 3-4 days.

What's dumb about this is she was already experiencing theses symptoms when my ex-daughter-in-law decided it was a great idea to take the kids to visit their maternal grandparents (That's right, HER parents) in Illinois for a few days.

That means crossing at least 2 sets of state lines, possibly 3, depending on the route taken.

Her Dad is pushing 70, with a bad heart. Dead center in the high risk category.

These are the type of decisions that will kill a lot of people.

Be smart people. If not for yourself, do it for those you love!

Yikes, hope everyone will be OK. Sorry wounded!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I'm not trying to argue or anything, I legitimately want to have a discussion about it since I seem to be in the minority with my personal perceptions...

Do you have link showing potentially 1.5 million deaths?

Infection and death rates in: China, South Korea and Japan are all slowing. The total number of present cases pales in comparison to that of flu/influenza. The mortality rate is higher, I won't dispute that but the prevalence, at least for now is nowhere close.

The flu this year: (USA only)
- 29 million infected
- 280k hospitalized
- 16k died

Maybe the lesson is we should take the flu more seriously but the snowball effect of shutting down the world just doesn't compute for me personally yet.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think we'll have a football season because we won't have a vaccine ready by then.

This will likely continue (to some degree) until the vaccine is ready, and that's still at least a year away. If just one player on the football team got this then pretty much half the team would need to be quarantined.

A potential X factor might be the ease of testing -- by then, perhaps people could be quarantined more efficiently based on immediate test results. Also, by then, perhaps we'll have an effective treatment that prevents people from becoming severely or critically ill. (I know this is all still months away, but nobody has any reason to be confident in our ability to distribute tests.)

I've seen no evidence this will just go away with warmer weather. Will it decline somewhat? Maybe, but it's too widespread, too contagious, and can infect too many people who don't ever show symptoms.

I completely support flattening the curve. It's not realistic to only isolate people who are at heightened risks because they're too intertwined in society with people who are healthy. (Old people work, kids living with grandparents, babies, toddlers, pregnant women, people who've needed medications that damaged their immune systems, people of many ages with moderate or severe asthma, etc., all are at-risk.)

But, no, I don't think we'll have Duck football this year. I hope I'm wrong, but our elected leaders are clearly rolling this out slowly to keep people from freaking out even more.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I'm not trying to argue or anything, I legitimately want to have a discussion about it since I seem to be in the minority with my personal perceptions...

Infection and death rates in: China, South Korea and Japan are all slowing. The total number of present cases pales in comparison to that of flu/influenza. The mortality rate is higher, I won't dispute that but the prevalence, at least for now is nowhere close.

- 29 million infected
- 280k hospitalized
- 16k died

Maybe the lesson is we should take the flu more seriously but the snowball effect of shutting down the world just doesn't compute for me personally yet.
Maybe the lesson is that we should be enacting more draconian measures like those countries did. (and nobody believes the numbers from China)
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I'm not trying to argue or anything, I legitimately want to have a discussion about it since I seem to be in the minority with my personal perceptions...

- 29 million infected
- 280k hospitalized
- 16k died

I think there is a possibility that it is far less contagious than the flu and that even the death-rate is actually lower than first feared, unfortunately we likely wont know where it lands on the worse/best case spectrum until after the time when curve flattening measures would have been effective.

One problem with comparing this to the Flu is that because of the evolutionary characteristics of the Flu virus we are doing about as much as is feasible to do about it. Should Corona virus begin to perpetually mutate we will have to treat it like the Flu, create semi-effective seasonal vaccines and accept a much lower average life expectancy as the new norm.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

- 29 million infected
- 280k hospitalized
- 16k died

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ve-us-toll

South Korea is really the one 'success story' of a country that had numbers increasing and found a way to stop the ground swell. They were able to roll out widespread testing of all ages, not just the old and very sick, making possible to quarantine those individuals showing little to no symptoms before they give it to others. Additionally, and I'm going to cut and paste directly from a friend here:

"I just arrived to Seoul yesterday. I thought this was cool: we receive emergency alerts every time someone new is diagnosed with a list of their previous locations so we know where to avoid"

Seeing as how we have one of the most robust hospital systems (more ICU beds per capita of any large country), are a wealthy nation, etc., it seems like we were playing with a full deck, yet the number of new deaths is doubling about every 3-4 days.