Your favorite Oregon football moment of all time?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Your favorite Oregon football moment of all time?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Thought a new discussion might be necessary, what is your favorite or top few moments in Oregon football history? I will start the same thread for basketball on that forum.

For me, I have two moments:

1) Being at the 2012 Rose Bowl and hearing the official announce that the game was over and Oregon finally won! At that time Oregon really had the reputation of losing big non-conference games, BSU, Ohio State, Auburn, and at times this game it felt like it was going to happen yet again. But thanks to a Kiko pick which gave the Oregon squad renewed energy, they overcame adversity and won their first Rose Bowl in almost a century! I was at the game, surrounded by duck fans, and happen to buy tickets from the secondary market that led to me sitting in the front row with all of the family and friends of the players. (I still have never met anyone as loud and energetic as Tony Washington's mom, she never once sat down or stoped yelling and was encouraging fans around her to be noisy). The celebration after the game, watching the players come up to greet their families, and witnessing that victory live definitely was an unforgettable moment!

2) Being at the 2010 Civil War when the ducks went 12-0. Those Beaver fans were so oddly confident, they for some reason, despite that team having a losing record, thought somehow they were going to win this game. They were talking trash, calling my friends and I bandwagon fans, just being their normal bitter selves. When LMJ scored that last touchdown to really seal things up, it was so great to watch the Beaver fans, even older ladies, flip me off and cuss me out, because I was chanting "BCS". It was also great storming the field, watch the gameday crew up close, and celebrate with other fans. I also happened to be standing next to supwitchugirl, they are some funny dudes. This was a great moment with some of my closest friends, another unforgettable moment!
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Your favorite Oregon football moment of all time?

Post by Merganzer »

Okay, full disclosure, this isn't my all time favorite Oregon football moment of all time. But, I'm pretty sure that my favorite moment would be that of many of us, so I'll dig a little deeper...this is still a great moment.
Two weeks before, The Pick, the Ducks are in the Coliseum, about to play the Trojans, with Tony Graziani at Quarterback! But no problem. The Ducks rolled the Trojans, 22-7.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I was there for "The Pick", but I was also there in 1982, when Gerry Faust chose a field goal attempt by the Domers, settling for a tie, rather than risk losing to the lowly Ducks. Final score, 13-13.

The other game stuck in my mind was a win... Oregon beat UCLA by blocking a last second field goal attempt in, IIRC, 1970, 42-41.

Defensive player came running off the field waving a broken fingernail in the air, as evidence.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

1995, Oregon @ UCLA, Ducks lead the Bruins, 38-31, when Cade McNown gets the Bruins inside the 5 with :26 to go.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

It’s too hard to pick one.

* Blowing out Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl, and finishing ranked #2.

* Pat Johnson catch against UW.

* Oklahoma getting Pac-10 reffed.

* Giving Michigan the Dixon.

* Masoli to Dickson and making those Arizona students go back in the stands.

* Masoli running over that poor soul in the Civil War for the roses.

Anything from the peak Darron Thomas or Marcus Mariota eras.

Worst is much easier: Joey throwing all those picks to Jake Cookus. I was still a kid that was looking to that game like Christmas morning.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

I was 11 and we ventured north to Seattle in 1980. I was already fully in tune with what the rivalry meant but my dad had never taken me to a road game before other than Corvallis. Don James in his prime. Husky dickheads were giving me s*** because I was wearing an Oregon shirt. We were in the shitty end zone seats...but the Ducks battled hard like they always did in the Brooks era. He always had them ready for the rival games and in the second half the Ducks pulled ahead. Steve Brown ran back a pick 6 and the Ducks blew them out.....

For several years after my dad would say things like “who cares at least I got to see us beat those dawgs in Seattle”

The longest journey always begins with the first step and for me that day will always be my first step. Knowing how special that was and how big a mountain Oregon football had to climb in those days....it seemed unimaginable that Oregon would be owning Washington, SC, and winning several Rose Bowls. Go Ducks
pairadux
One Star Recruit

Post by pairadux »

Among a few (I'll try to avoid the obvious)

My first game as a UO freshman against vs Long Beach St. (what? why?). Walking up to the stadium is looks so small, then coming over the top and seeing how it actually holds 40k because of how it's dug into the ground. Blew me away.

That BYU game with Marcus Woods belly bumping Detmer for a safety. Got a black eye celebrating with my friends on the club baseball team.

The pick. Stole my future wife's student sticker that year as I'd already graduated, but still wanted to go to games.

65-38 - even though we've beaten OSU with more at stake for us (Masoli trucking a dude the following year for a 1st down and the Rose Bowl) - watching the Beaver students all Rosed up as we dumped big play after big play was amazing.

Oh, it goes on. Lots of great memories and met some cool people in section 36, row 27 from '95 to '11 when I finally moved out of the state.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I had the perfect seat to view the Jameis Winston forced fumble and the Tony Washington scoop and score at the Rose Bowl, and that was such a deliriously happy moment, it's gotta be my #1. The rout was really on after that.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Probably the Ducks demolishing the Michigan Wolverines with Dennis Dixon at the helm.
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

Just the first of many............
September 12th 1970, Civic Stadium, Portland Oregon. First game of the season versus California.
Rookie quarterback by the name of Dan Fouts comes into the game for a gimpy Tom Blanchard.
Fouts first pass attempt travels 60 yards. It was incomplete but the fans gasped in amazement.

Oregon wins the game 31-24 on a 32 yard pass from Fouts to Thurman Anderson with 1:44 left in the game.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

ICamel wrote:Just the first of many............
September 12th 1970, Civic Stadium, Portland Oregon. First game of the season versus California.
Rookie quarterback by the name of Dan Fouts comes into the game for a gimpy Tom Blanchard.
Fouts first pass attempt travels 60 yards. It was incomplete but the fans gasped in amazement.

Oregon wins the game 31-24 on a 32 yard pass from Fouts to Thurman Anderson with 1:44 left in the game.
If I remember Oregon was deep in it's own end of the field. Everybody expected a running play. What else would a coach do on the first play from a rookie QB? Inches away from an 80 yard home run. I wonder how the "70's would have been if the boosters had allowed Jerry Frei to continue.
DCfeatherbutt
One Star Recruit

Post by DCfeatherbutt »

pairadux wrote:Among a few (I'll try to avoid the obvious)

My first game as a UO freshman against vs Long Beach St. (what? why?). Walking up to the stadium is looks so small, then coming over the top and seeing how it actually holds 40k because of how it's dug into the ground. Blew me away.

That BYU game with Marcus Woods belly bumping Detmer for a safety. Got a black eye celebrating with my friends on the club baseball team.

The pick. Stole my future wife's student sticker that year as I'd already graduated, but still wanted to go to games.

65-38 - even though we've beaten OSU with more at stake for us (Masoli trucking a dude the following year for a 1st down and the Rose Bowl) - watching the Beaver students all Rosed up as we dumped big play after big play was amazing.

Oh, it goes on. Lots of great memories and met some cool people in section 36, row 27 from '95 to '11 when I finally moved out of the state.
Exactly the 3 I would pick. I have always thought that the BYU game made Autzen what it is today. That was a fun game.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

DCfeatherbutt wrote:
pairadux wrote:Among a few (I'll try to avoid the obvious)

I watched the game live on television. I was starting to get a sinking feeling in my stomach, as I was sure UW was going to score, though I hoped there would be enough time left for the Ducks to score again. Then The Pick happened! It was like watching the whole thing in slow motion. I still remember the play like it happened yesterday. What a moment in UO sports!

Exactly the 3 I would pick. I have always thought that the BYU game made Autzen what it is today. That was a fun game.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Another unforgettable moment for me in Ducks football was the Oregon/Colorado bowl game the year the Ducks should have played Miami for the National Championship. The Ducks were dominating Colorado all game long, and on a Colorado pass play the defensive line opened up a crater-sized hole in the line as a blitzing linebacker (don't remember his name) shot through the middle and completely flattened the Colorado QB. That play was so symbolic of the whole game to me.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Home Game: Oklahoma, the whole week
Away Game: Michigan, the whole week