Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Post by pezsez1 »

The position of the article actually supported social distancing and other precautionary measures. The main point is that the mainstream media has portrayed stats in a misleading way causing an unnecessary mass hysteria. Covid-19 is something to take seriously, but not something worth creating a widespread panic for.
Is it fair to say there's widespread panic? Most of my friends are social distancing responsibly and simply staying home. They're posting pics of cooking, gardening, working on puzzles, etc.

Then there's the few who are saying "**** all y'all I'm going to the beach!"

I think the second group is the bigger problem here.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:
The position of the article actually supported social distancing and other precautionary measures. The main point is that the mainstream media has portrayed stats in a misleading way causing an unnecessary mass hysteria. Covid-19 is something to take seriously, but not something worth creating a widespread panic for.
Is it fair to say there's widespread panic? Most of my friends are social distancing responsibly and simply staying home. They're posting pics of cooking, gardening, working on puzzles, etc.

Then there's the few who are saying "**** all y'all I'm going to the beach!"

I think the second group is the bigger problem here.
I’m glad most of your friends are taking safe precautions. A lot of people on my side are panicked and just overall freakin out and that to me is very unhealthy. Plus there’s been so many layoffs at this point.

This morning my wife saw an article about how there’s now 300,000 cases worldwide, that’s out of 7,000,000,000 people on this planet. Most of the world actually has handled this fine, it really comes down to parts of two countries that have been hit really hard and causing the rest of the world to panic. I’ve heard Rome has been fine.

In addition, just applying some logic, it’s easy to see why China and Italy were hit hard. Condensed populations, China has the worst air quality, and smoking is very popular in Italy. I bet in most parts of America we will be fine, that includes Lane County where public transit isn’t popular and we don’t live in a condensed area and have very clean air.

I believe the article said about 90% of tests have come back negative worldwide. Though the article has been removed which is concerning and make me wonder just how much the media is trying to control us.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I was in Safeway yesterday, no I do not live in a bubble but keep my crowd actives to a minimum, there was a young 20 something couple behind me in line and they were talking with an older lady in line. The twenty something were killing time by planning on visiting their friends who just had a baby, the baby was just four days old and she stated that they would be putting in a lot of “baby time”. I couldn’t help myself and turned to her and said I hope you realize you may be putting that babies life at risk? See gave me a look and turned back to the older lady and continued to talk but was interrupted by the lady who said “he’s right, you guys have no business around a newborn right now”..... not everyone gets it yet but I think most do.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:I was in Safeway yesterday, no I do not live in a bubble but keep my crowd actives to a minimum, there was a young 20 something couple behind me in line and they were talking with an older lady in line. The twenty something were killing time by planning on visiting their friends who just had a baby, the baby was just four days old and she stated that they would be putting in a lot of “baby time”. I couldn’t help myself and turned to her and said I hope you realize you may be putting that babies life at risk? See gave me a look and turned back to the older lady and continued to talk but was interrupted by the lady who said “he’s right, you guys have no business around a newborn right now”..... not everyone gets it yet but I think most do.
Good for you for speaking up. I hope people realize I do understand the seriousness of this, I just believe there’s been fear mongering from the mainstream media and knee jerk policies from the government. The number of unemployment claims from government policies is higher than the number of confirmed cases in the US. Another example, I’ve seen two headlines lately, one saying number of infected surge to over 26,000 in the US and 300,000 worldwide. If those were worded to say number of confirmed cases reach .008% of the American population and .0043% of the worldwide population, it certainly looks different.

I didn’t agree with everything in the article I posted, just some aspects of it and thought I’d show a different perspective. I’m confident we will get through this as a country soon.

Again, good on you for speaking up on behalf of that baby.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

In the least surprising bit of news, several spring breakers have come down with coronavirus. Florida and Texas should have been quicker to shut down spring break and enforce public gathering bans and restaurant/bar closings.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:In the least surprising bit of news, several spring breakers have come down with coronavirus. Florida and Texas should have been quicker to shut down spring break and enforce public gathering bans and restaurant/bar closings.
Idiots. Their stupidity is a major problem and a big reason so many people are unemployed right now unfortunately. My solution was to blockade them all on the beach. Give them beer and condoms cause we don’t want them to reproduce, and keep them all together on the beach for about 4 weeks from the rest of humanity.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:In the least surprising bit of news, several spring breakers have come down with coronavirus. Florida and Texas should have been quicker to shut down spring break and enforce public gathering bans and restaurant/bar closings.
Idiots. Their stupidity is a major problem and a big reason so many people are unemployed right now unfortunately. My solution was to blockade them all on the beach. Give them beer and condoms cause we don’t want them to reproduce, and keep them all together on the beach for about 4 weeks from the rest of humanity.
The pollution levels would skyrocket, seagulls would become carriers, and the major cause of death would be cholera, or some other hygiene related epidemic similar to what wipe out the wagon train my grandfather was the only survivor of...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

That's what Trump was touting last week... There is supposed to limited testing going on in New York City.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Comprehensive list of closures for the "Sta at Home" order Governor Brown announced.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 145324246/

Not Allowed:
Social gatherings (parties, celebrations) with people from outside of your household
Dine-in restaurants and bars
Nightclubs and concerts
Shopping at outdoor or indoor malls and retail complexes
Fitness: Gyms, sports and fitness centers, health clubs, and exercise studios, dance and yoga studios
Grooming: Hair salons, barbershops, nail salons, massage parlors, non-medical wellness spas, cosmetic stores, tattoo parlors
Entertainment: Theaters, amusement parks, arcades, bowling alleys, music concerts, sporting events, museums, skating rinks
Outdoors: State parks, playgrounds, campgrounds, pools, skate parks, festivals

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

woundedknees wrote:Comprehensive list of closures for the "Sta at Home" order Governor Brown announced.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 145324246/

Not Allowed:
Social gatherings (parties, celebrations) with people from outside of your household
Dine-in restaurants and bars
Nightclubs and concerts
Shopping at outdoor or indoor malls and retail complexes
Fitness: Gyms, sports and fitness centers, health clubs, and exercise studios, dance and yoga studios
Grooming: Hair salons, barbershops, nail salons, massage parlors, non-medical wellness spas, cosmetic stores, tattoo parlors
Entertainment: Theaters, amusement parks, arcades, bowling alleys, music concerts, sporting events, museums, skating rinks
Outdoors: State parks, playgrounds, campgrounds, pools, skate parks, festivals
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The Pac-12 Network is really dropping the ball here. Why aren't we getting a steady stream of Oregon football replays/highlights from the past many years?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:The Pac-12 Network is really dropping the ball here. Why aren't we getting a steady stream of Oregon football replays/highlights from the past many years?
The network sucks and it has from its inception.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Duck07 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:The Pac-12 Network is really dropping the ball here. Why aren't we getting a steady stream of Oregon football replays/highlights from the past many years?
this is so accurate , its been a failure.

I do like Mike Yam & Yogi Roth I think both those guys are big time talents to be honest.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
Truth