Meanwhile in Cornvalley...

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Meanwhile in Cornvalley...

Post by gogreen55 »

Oregon State football player caught on video saying racial slurs, dismissed from team...

lmduck

Re: Meanwhile in Cornvalley...

Post by lmduck »

this is a very unfortunate situation for all involved. I am sure Smith took no delight in removing the kid from the team but he had no choice. I applaud him.

I hope DUCK fans will not jump all over this. It's not appropriate at this time or any time that it is about something of this nature. Suffice it to say there were racism issues at UO in the Helfrich days, they were just not made public.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I actually knew Rocco when he was a kid, he had a tough childhood. Never thought he would do something like this, very unfortunate. Hopefully he changes his ways and people will stop the hatred towards him.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

So I listened and it’s not pretty...but he’s clearly doing an impression of a stereotypically southern male. I have no idea how much of those things he believes himself. At minimum, it was a very un-funny joke. Not sure if it’s fair to say he absolutely totally embodies all of the things he said though. I
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lukeyrid13 wrote:So I listened and it’s not pretty...but he’s clearly doing an impression of a stereotypically southern male. I have no idea how much of those things he believes himself. At minimum, it was a very un-funny joke. Not sure if it’s fair to say he absolutely totally embodies all of the things he said though. I
I think the biggest issue was his apology just said it was a joke. Racial slurs are never a joke, and if you think they are, you need a change of heart. I don't want to hate on a kid I've seen grow up, but no doubt he needs to change and acknowledge that rather than just claim it was a joke. That's an invalid excuse. But, we've all said dumb things in high school, glad my stupidity wasn't recorded.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

He was a freshman in college, he said this three years ago. That certainly does not make it right at all! What was he 15? Would the punishment been the same if George Floyd wasn’t such a hot topic? Don’t derail my comment a cop kneeling on any Handcuffed mans neck Long enough to kill him is murder, period, I am just thinking his punishment may have been different if this country wasn’t so worked up by another cop killing........ he was 15 when this was said..... doesn’t make it right but it is an excuse.
Anatinae
One Star Recruit

Post by Anatinae »

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Well I take back my even slight hesitation of benefit of the doubt that it was a 1x horrible horrible joke then.