Next Blazer coach? And Danny Ainge

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Next Blazer coach? And Danny Ainge

Post by squintsdd »

Phalanx wrote:
squintsdd wrote: Well it's not like nurkic has been playing center a whole lot the past 2 seasons, and when he does he doesn't look nearly the same as before he broke his leg
This is a funny comment from someone who thinks that trading Nurkic will bring 'plenty back in return'.

As for McCollum:
But, unfortunately for Portland, a trade package for McCollum will likely be underwhelming.

McCollum enters year-one of a three-year, $100 million contract extension next season, which appears to be an overpay.

The Athletic's John Hollinger reports "most of the league sees him as a slightly negative value at that money" even if he's a "plus starter." Hollinger's BORD$ valuation has McCollum giving $26.6 million of value next season based on his 2020-21 season.
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/tra ... around-nba

Salary matters. I'd love to trade McCollum and get some player making the same money who would actually contribute like a max player, but it is not likely that other teams are going to do that deal. If Olshey can swing a trade like that, I will take it all back.
Nurkic's upside and skill set on the court are seen more by most people than his history of injuries, so yeah, Portland probably could get a decent deal for him. For me, my perspective, nurkic struggles against the better centers in the league. He does have a history of injuries recently, and in a series where he was desperately needed he couldn't stay out of foul trouble for a large portion of it. Portland either needs a coach that's willing to work with him, or they should trade him and probably get a decent deal in return.

As for McCollum, yeah, his contract is tough to overlook. I think on another team though he's an allstar, and I think olshey can sell that point.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Nurks going to be in a contract year and it’s another year removed from his leg injury. I can see him having a big year next year. Unless he demands a trade I don’t see them moving him.

They need to try and move on from Melo, DJJ, and possibly Collins.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Collins is a RFA, which means the Blazers purposely did not extend his contract, and it will be interesting to see what he commands on the open market. As for DJJ, I think you better get used to him being in the rotation. He's signed for another year, and unless there is some series of free agency miracles, there won't be much choice but to play him. Two guys that Olshey completely struck out on.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Phalanx wrote:Collins is a RFA, which means the Blazers purposely did not extend his contract, and it will be interesting to see what he commands on the open market. As for DJJ, I think you better get used to him being in the rotation. He's signed for another year, and unless there is some series of free agency miracles, there won't be much choice but to play him. Two guys that Olshey completely struck out on.
I don't mind DJJ so long as they don't try to run plays for him. Defensively he's more aggressive than anyone else on the team, and he's a high energy player who might have good value if they sign a coach like D'Antoni. As for Collins, unless he's 100% ready to go and they were just making sure he's ready for next season, they just need to let him walk.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think Collins might just sign for the QO
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Please god, no, not D'Antoni.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:Please god, no, not D'Antoni.
I’m not a fan, but if they can’t trade CJ then I think he makes a lot of sense.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Lots of smoke surrounding Spo coming home to Portland. Rumor is possible HC and GM duties.

https://twitter.com/brandonsprague/stat ... 47745?s=21
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Portland fires the head coach because "they can't play defense." D'Antoni make perfect sense because if he is known for anything, it is solid defense.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

karlhungis wrote:
Portland fires the head coach because "they can't play defense." D'Antoni make perfect sense because if he is known for anything, it is solid defense.
His teams have actually been at least average defensive teams, which is more than could be said about Portland's defense this past year.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

karlhungis wrote:
If they aren't able to address their weaknesses then they might as well improve even more on their strengths.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

squintsdd wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
If they aren't able to address their weaknesses then they might as well improve even more on their strengths.
And be in the exact same spot they've been in.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The only way the Blazers become better defensively is a change of culture, not a gentle nudge. So D'Antoni would be more of the exact same, except maybe Lillard will go the Harden route and routinely hit strip clubs the night before a game.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

karlhungis wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
And be in the exact same spot they've been in.
Not saying it's the right way to go, just saying that that's the thought process
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Per Woj and Shams, looks like it's gonna be Billups.