What I want to see from Cristobal this season

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

What I want to see from Cristobal this season

Post by Alan »

The biggest thing I need to see from Cristabol as a maturing HC this season is giving the heir apparent back up QB(‘s) plenty of game experience during games that a well in hand., including pass plays, read options, etc.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: What I want to see from Cristabol this season

Post by UOducksTK1 »

And a Pac-12 best running game. We were the best for nearly a decade, no reason we shouldn't be again.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Re: What I want to see from Cristobal this season

Post by UofDuck »

I want to see some creativity out of our offensive backfield. A start would be to add a few wrinkles to give our RBs a a better chance. Running the read option exclusively is no longer effective enough to get it done. Defenses have learned over time how to counter the scheme. Some quick pitches to get our backs to the edges more quickly would be a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I want to see signs that this team can play at or above its skill level, which is the mark of a really good coach. Best chance to do that would be a win against Ohio State, but even playing at our skill level would mean running the table the rest of the way.

I'd also like to simply see no boneheaded coaching mistakes. No dumb time outs. No pass plays when you just need to run the clock out. Just no beating yourself.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I want to see a more crisp and creative offense.

Yes, I know a lot of that falls on the OC, but MC is head coach and he's ultimately responsible. He attempted a correction by replacing Arroyo with Morehead, and now we'll finally get to see the revamped offense unfold with a full offseason and (hopefully) a better QB under center.

I love MC so far, but I'll be a little worried if we go through another season looking lost for long stretches on offense.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Sounds like most everyone wants to see more out of the OC than the HC.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Time management improvement. Significant reason we lost to Stanford 3 years ago and ASU 2 years ago.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:Time management improvement. Significant reason we lost to Stanford 3 years ago and ASU 2 years ago.

ASU L was because of a crap Offensive plan.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Would it be fair to add "quarterback development" to the list?

Again, I know this specific responsibility is entrusted to someone else, but I was really disappointed by the QB output last season and I'll be worried if that situation repeats itself. I'm not asking for all-world QB play, but the coaches need to put the QB in a position to win given his experience and abilities.

COVID was certainly a big factor last year so I'm looking for overall better play at the QB position no matter who wins the job.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

It is interesting.

Butterfield very much seems like an Aroyo-type QB. Thompson seems like a guy you could put in the shotgun and throw 40 times a game. The Ducks have brought in a young (and pretty elite) down field WR corps (and continue to bring in those type guys). There appears to be both a current (and future) group of a strong pass blocking OLs. The young RB corps appears to be more a "pass to run" group, rather than a "run to set up the pass" situation.

That is among the most offensive side "blue chips" brought in by the Ducks in the recent era of college football. A lot of highly ranked dudes. Yet, you wonder if MC and JM don't really wanna run between the tackles, run the QB, and off that run a bunch of 5-6 yard RPOs, and take (only) a handful of intermediate to down field shots a game. Like or hate AB, one thing he his isn't afraid to do is take shots (really an "anti-Shough" situation).

If Oregon shows up and wants to spend most of the game playing "smashmouth" between the tackles against tOSU, I'd expect some frustration. The wildcard it appears is Morehead (and exactly what MC will or won't let him do), and it definitely will be telling to see what he dials up. It is really a great opportunity. If it doesn't work, and Oregon loses going away, will it not be exactly what most of college football is expecting anyway? If Oregon tries and fails 42-21, does that rock the college football world or end up being exactly what most people outside Oregon basically expect?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Consistency. I know last year was weird, but it was frustrating seeing great possessions with lots of potential on both sides of the ball followed by inept possessions. I just want to see the team play consistent.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

As far as things Cristobal is responsible for, starting and finishing games is a big one for me. This falls on the head coach:

* Stop coming out flat. We’ve seen it too often from his teams: 2018 Wazzu and Arizona, 2019 Arizona State, 2020 Iowa State
* Finish games. 2018 Stanford, 2019 Auburn, 2020 Oregon State and Cal

Others:
* 2019 turnover margin please, not 2020.
* He wants the strongest, most physical team? Stop getting one yard gains on 3rd and 2.
* Better time management.
* Sub as needed. Shough is costing you the Oregon State game? Don’t put him back in. Camden Lewis has proven he can’t kick in games? Don’t kick with Lewis.
* Play with minimal effort like 2020 Fat Mac? Enjoy the bench. Travis Dye fumbles? Get him gloves or a bench seat.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

1. Being aggressive
2. Finishing games
3. Getting that swagger back(see chip teams)
4. Getting really really good/great running backs again
5. Destroying osewe and udumb on a regular basis
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I'm not expecting CMC to outfox every opposing coach but I hope he at least doesn't leave us with a ton of head scratching moments this year. A good start would be taking Wright off of kick/punt return duties.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:I'm not expecting CMC to outfox every opposing coach but I hope he at least doesn't leave us with a ton of head scratching moments this year. A good start would be taking Wright off of kick/punt return duties.
All that depth in the offensive skill positions, you ought to be able to find a kick returner who isn't the hardest to replace guy on the defense.