It's weird to be excited about our defense.....

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

It's weird to be excited about our defense.....

Post by karlhungis »

Especially when we currently rank 123rd in total defense.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
justducky0
Senior

Re: It's weird to be excited about our defense.....

Post by justducky0 »

The defense actually seems pretty good - this is why you can't always rely on stats for everything , excited to watch them play more too!
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

We just played maybe the most talented offense in the country and held them to 28 points with offensive players and walk-ons playing significant minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I thought the defense was going to collapse in the 4th quarter. You don't beat tOSU with a walk on in the heart of your defense. Incredible. We were also short a ton of players on the edge (DE/OLB) too, and Olave got the better of Wright most of the time
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

We will see if they can play better against worse offenses and play a little tighter in coverage.

It might not be hyperbole to say we've seen the 2 best QB's we'll see all regular season already.

Stanford's new QB looks good, but that's it.

Also, KT should come back by Arizona and Flowe hopefully later in the season.

You CAN see the speed and talent in the front 7 absolutely jump off the page though...and McKinley played at an insane level this weekend.
By the end of the year, we could be pretty scary on D.
duckz
Two Star Recruit

Post by duckz »

Was a little surprised Jamal Hill didn't play. At least I did not see him. Was he on the official depth chart vs OSU?

Hill is a difference maker if he can handle his stuff off the field.

B. Williams played a solid game at safety. At least when it came to open field tackling. Hill appears to be able to help the run and be a ball hawk. The D will be better vs the pass if they can stay healthy and keep the focus on football and school.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducks5ever wrote:I thought the defense was going to collapse in the 4th quarter. You don't beat tOSU with a walk on in the heart of your defense. Incredible. We were also short a ton of players on the edge (DE/OLB) too, and Olave got the better of Wright most of the time

Supposedly that walk on was really good at Div 2, but the school dropped football and he came to UO. So not really a regular walk on. Similar to what happened to Lofa Tatupu years ago, but SC gave him a scholarship as long as he didn’t visit UO. Not saying he’s Lofa
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duckz wrote:Was a little surprised Jamal Hill didn't play. At least I did not see him. Was he on the official depth chart vs OSU?

Hill is a difference maker if he can handle his stuff off the field.

B. Williams played a solid game at safety. At least when it came to open field tackling. Hill appears to be able to help the run and be a ball hawk. The D will be better vs the pass if they can stay healthy and keep the focus on football and school.

Hill made a couple plays on special teams, and was seen doing a back flip after the game.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m excited with how they stepped up with their best player being out and another top player in Flowe. If KT plays neither game is close halfway through the 4th.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I want to say we've got 6 Forced Fumbles on Defense with another 1 on Special Teams. All of them that I can recall were also just part of the tackle, not trying to let-go of a tackle to seek out a turnover but just doing the Charles Tillman punch-out.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I do have to say it since nobody is going to...

It's a little hilarious that after YEARS of people hating 'bend but don't break' defense, people are loving DeRuyter's bend but don't break defense after it took down Ohio State!
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

StevensTechU wrote:I do have to say it since nobody is going to...

It's a little hilarious that after YEARS of people hating 'bend but don't break' defense, people are loving DeRuyter's bend but don't break defense after it took down Ohio State!
Because it was always "bend and then break." I feel like this is the first time we've experienced the "don't break" part.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

StevensTechU wrote:I do have to say it since nobody is going to...

People also criticized Alliotti....and then experienced Pellum and Hoke immediately after. I think Alliotti is seen in a really positive fashion now in hindsight but was under appreciated while he was here.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I agree. Hoke was a panic hire when yancy didnt chose usc over oregon. Helf was a TERRIBLE hirer of talent. Terrible. He had no plan. None. People in Michigan laughed when we hired hoke. He doesn’t wear a headset and carries a binder full of old plays. (And that is exactly who he was)

I blame that all in helf.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:I thought the defense was going to collapse in the 4th quarter. You don't beat tOSU with a walk on in the heart of your defense. Incredible. We were also short a ton of players on the edge (DE/OLB) too, and Olave got the better of Wright most of the time

Supposedly that walk on was really good at Div 2, but the school dropped football and he came to UO. So not really a regular walk on. Similar to what happened to Lofa Tatupu years ago, but SC gave him a scholarship as long as he didn’t visit UO. Not saying he’s Lofa
Different walk-ons. I think Nate H was the walk-on at LB that stepped in when Brown got hurt. He's a Jesuit kid (6th year senior I believe, after going JUCO before walking on at Oregon). I think the D2 guy is Micah Roth.