Ohio State - Takeaways and Impressions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Ohio State - Takeaways and Impressions

Post by StevensTechU »

Before we fully move on to the mighty Stony Brook, I wanted to drop some of my thoughts on on the performance in Columbus based on a review of the game tape that I could find.

- We won. Holy crap. That was awesome.
- On the offensive side of the ball, why we won is a tie between the offensive line giving up only 1 TFL and 0 sacks, and Anthony Brown's decision-making
-> On the line, Forsyth, Sala, Bass, and Walk had really plus games, while the remaining rotation players (Moore, Jaramillo, Jones) were solid
-> Brown has thrown 1 INT-worthy pass, based on memory, so far this season. That's it. When you have a guy who doesn't throw the most accurate short passes and can be a bit late/off-target on deep throws, that's a nice attribute to offset those shortcomings.
- Sewell is getting very good, but we're going to feel Mathis/Flowe's absence. Heaukalani was fitting some wrong gaps and couldn't get off blocks late in the game, so I'd like to see other guys get a lot of run against Stony Brook - Keith Brown, Micah Roth, and potentially guys playing out of position (I'd personally like to see Adrian Jackson get a shot).
- The corners. Collectively, they did a good job of keeping the ball in front of them, which was instrumental to keeping tOSU to 28 and ultimately winning the game. Mykael Wright did not play like a 1st rounder - not only did he give Ohio State a free 7 when he was looking at his wristband, but he gave up a number of other intermediate catches. DJ James didn't play perfectly, but probably would have graded the best. Dontae Manning is still thinking a lot, and Bridges should probably play exclusively in the redzone - his length is a huge asset in that area and it mitigates his limitations on speed.
- Verone had a really good game. So did Bennett Williams. I don't see Hill beating Williams for that starting spot, and so I wonder if they experiment with Hill at other positions. Steve Stephens wasn't bad, but I wonder if Hill or Addison could get time or potentially push to start over him by the end of the season.
- Joe Moorhead earned his paycheck. He's one of the best in the business, and we need to appreciate it while we have it. Tim DeRuyter is absolutely no slouch himself.
rockthief
Senior

Re: Ohio State - Takeaways and Impressions

Post by rockthief »

Good thoughts.

I want to praise the walk-ons an freshmen who played their butts off.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

One of the narratives I’ve seen quite a bit is that Oregon isn’t that good and tOSU is just really bad and will lose at least a few more games this season and their DC is awful and should be fired immediately. Meanwhile Oregon won’t go undefeated and will lose at least twice cause they aren’t very good. Is there any accuracy or do people just now know how to react when Ohio St loses a home game? It did seem like their DC made no adjustments.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:One of the narratives I’ve seen quite a bit is that Oregon isn’t that good and tOSU is just really bad and will lose at least a few more games this season and their DC is awful and should be fired immediately. Meanwhile Oregon won’t go undefeated and will lose at least twice cause they aren’t very good. Is there any accuracy or do people just now know how to react when Ohio St loses a home game? It did seem like their DC made no adjustments.
I'm not sure anyone can say either way at this point. I think there is some truth behind the statement that Ohio State has a bad DC. There have been valid complaints about his performance since he took the job.

I think that the truth is that Ohio State wasn't as good as they were hyped up to be but they are still a very good team. I also think that it will be very difficult for Oregon to run the table the rest of the way.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Ohio State played a very vanilla game on defense. They played man almost exclusively, which Moorhead just picked apart with RPO and isolating reads on almost every play. They also just played hat on hat on the D-line and didn't try and confuse our O-line which Fresno did to great success.

I think if anything, I've seen that a lot of media/pundits see us as the class of the PAC and a loss would be surprising. We SHOULD win the rest of our games, but we need to be prepared for every teams best shot and frankly (weird to say it) I think a lot of other teams will have a much better gameplay to beat us than Ohio St did.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We went into Ohio State and left them all shook and full of questions about the state of their program.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Wright was looking at his wrist because the call came in late. Not only did the announcers catch this, if you freeze the frame before the snap, every player in the secondary was looking down at there wrist. They had the same problem in game one. Sorry but that TD was on the coaches. As for the rest of your assessment I agree with.
If anyone rewatches the game watch 9 on tOSU D, he was made to look a fool on so many plays.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:We went into Ohio State and left them all shook and full of questions about the state of their program.
The quotes from Day’s Monday presser had me cracking up. Their vanilla game plan and reaction to the loss just shows how little respect they had for the Ducks.

As for my takeaways, one thing that was really encouraging was the way guys were able to step in and at least be serviceable, if not play great. Points to a coaching staff that is firing on all cylinders in both scheme and individual player development, as well identifying players in recruitment who fit what we’re doing. Swinson filling in the way he did is a great example of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Here's a stat for you (well a few):
Ohio State had 5 receivers with 35 yards or more.
Oregon had 0 receivers with 35 yards or more.
Ohio State had 3 receivers with 115 yards or more.

Yet we won. I wonder how many times that's happened in history!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Here's a stat for you (well a few):

Well almost on that track this weekend:
Michigan: 44 yards Passing 5 leading receivers yardage: 33,11,1,0,-1
Washington: 293 yards Passing

Score: UM 31 > UW 10
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Here's a stat for you (well a few):

Well almost on that track this weekend:
Michigan: 44 yards Passing 5 leading receivers yardage: 33,11,1,0,-1
Washington: 293 yards Passing

Score: UM 31 > UW 10
I should have said, as an underdog! But that's also crazy...

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Agree with all of that.

Going forward:
Hope AB can hit some more deep balls. Mostly he's leaving them short and inside. Devon Williams could have had 100+ yards receiving with better throws.

Agree about finding the answer at Mathis/Flowe's spot. Completely agree that Adrian should get some run there. He's not as good as KT or Swinson on the outside, but better than Nate on the inside.

Was also really impressed with Popo, Dorlus, and Swinson. KHW and Williams have some good and bad reps still. Jayson Jones should be pretty damn good in time.

All of us calling for Bennett Williams over Avalos' boy Happle last year...yeah, we were right on that one!

Also really cool to see DJ Johnson just completely buy into Oregon and play wherever the team needs him. He loves that wham block lol.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

"Bennett Williams explains why Oregon was successful vs Ohio State's passing attack"

Saw this article headline on 247. IDK if they watched the same game as me. Ohio State minus maybe a quarter, shredded us in the air.

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ We made stops when we needed to though at least.

We purposely kept a 2 high safety look throughout and didn't let them beat us on throws of 15+ yards. It was a ton of curls and outs and a few quick slants to Smith-Njigba as well. Ohio State wanted to keep throwing out wide, but really, they should have been exploiting the fact we were playing a walk on MLB and force him to make decisions int he RPO game etc.

I still think it's weird to say it, but Ohio St just came out with a really poor gameplan on both sides of the ball and allowed us to cover up our weaknesses really well.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Having hung around Autzen since the first game (Wish I could say I've been there for every one, but that wouldn't be the truth!), I remember a buddy of mine commenting about the injury bug:

"Lose ONE stud, and the teams a DUD!"

Under Mario Cristobal, it's more like, "If a man goes down, don't stand around... Next MAN up!"

Not only has CMC raised the recruiting level, but the ability to identify and prepare the right guy to step into the breech is becoming outstanding.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!