Where’s a statement from Mario?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Where’s a statement from Mario?

Post by StevensTechU »

wlduck wrote:He might have been pissed about the question, but that was not a denial. It was coach speak for "my agent always listens to everything".
100%
DCfeatherbutt
One Star Recruit

Post by DCfeatherbutt »

^^^^^^ Agree

I do not see why folks who want MC to stay are feeling good about that statement.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
wlduck wrote:He might have been pissed about the question, but that was not a denial. It was coach speak for "my agent always listens to everything".
100%

I don’t think so, I think it was a loud F U for misleading him to come on the show. I don’t think Mario is going anywhere, young family, great job in Eugene, Ducks ranked in the top 5, Nike behind him……. Not moving to L.A. for the s*** show that is and has been USC for several years and the thought of dealing with the Hollywood wannabes.

I will add USC rumors are why he pays an agent. The only ones who have a right to know his thoughts on leaving are his family, his team and Mullens. He is not going anywhere.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

It could also have been a case of MC just being annoyed and not wanting to give DG what he wanted: a headline making statement that Gottlieb could break as big news.

SC isn’t that great of a job, and it doesn’t make much sense to jump in conference and have to face the program you just built into a borderline powerhouse. If he wouldn’t leave for his alma mater I can’t fathom why he would jump to SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

I think it was a loud F U for misleading him to come on the show.

100000% agree. You can tell when Mario is pissed and he was pissed. He went on the show under the premise of talking about the osu game. I am not saying the question is not a valid one, BUT that is the type of thing you ask at the very end. It's called professional courtesy and being prepared. Gottleib wanted the 'quick hit'.

We can parse whether he denied any interest by saying 'go ducks' but again I think what set MC off was the way the interview was handled.

Frankly I don't think MC has any interest in that mess in So Cal.

Also there are some pretty strong indicators that Donte Williams played a major part in Helton getting the boot now. Not saying Helton was gonna survive beyond this season but people are pretty certain in their assessment that Donte might have sped up the process. I personally don't know for sure but people with direct ties into SC seem to know and it's more than a few people who are saying this so it MIGHT have some credence.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

dthomas=ddixon wrote: SC isn’t that great of a job, and it doesn’t make much sense to jump in conference and have to face the program you just built into a borderline powerhouse. If he wouldn’t leave for his alma mater I can’t fathom why he would jump to SC.
Very logical. These days however, isn't $$ the only thing that matters? Well technically the tradeoff between job pressure/security and compensation. Good thing is that the fans don't put much pressure on CMC and most of the fan base loves him.

As far as USC goes, I'm pretty sure it's frowned upon to switch HC jobs to your conference rival. CMC isn't that type of a guy to do something like that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

That's coach speak for "I'm not giving this guy a chance to break a story when that's not what he invited me on for."

Gottlieb is like the attorney who asks if you've stopped beating your wife.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Does anyone honestly believe that Mario is going to bail on the team that he has built into a NC championship contender for a school that has:
1) An unbalanced roster that needs a complete rebuild.
2) Documented in locker room fighting and major culture issues
3) Leadership that has fired their last three head coaches mid-season
4) Lost 4 of the last 5 to the school he currently coaches
5) Won ONE conference title in the last TWELVE years (Oregon has won it 6 times)
6) roughly 1/2 of the TV viewership numbers of Oregon over the past few years

If this was about money, Mario would be coaching Auburn right now. Its not. USC backing up the Brinks truck is not going to do anything except maybe get Mario another raise and/or a contract extension at Oregon. Mario wants a NC and he has the roster, support, and brand to do just that at Oregon RIGHT NOW. In the changing landscape of NIL, Oregon is in a unique position to become the dominate college football team on the west coast with Nike backing and a fresh brand. USC with their "tradition" including no names on the back of their jerseys just screams yesterday.

Mario is going to use whatever leverage he has to get what he deserves from Oregon and he should. But there is no possible way he leaves for USC. Its not happening!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

wlduck wrote:
He might have been pissed about the question, but that was not a denial. It was coach speak for "my agent always listens to everything".
This is correct.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:Mario's tweet this morning:

https://twitter.com/coach_cristobal/sta ... 26690?s=20
OMG he didn't deny it!!!!!!!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Right now, he's not publicly saying he wouldn't go to USC because then his agent has a tougher time using it as leverage to get him a better contract. He did the exact same thing this last offseason.

Would he leave? I don't know. I doubt it. But Cristobal leaving and Cristobal leaving the door open so he gets a better contract are not the same thing.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

It's time to say it out loud.

The Oregon job is better than the USC job.

This isn't 1995. This isn't 2005. This isn't 2010 after Pete Carroll left a juggernaut.

USC has won the conference one time in the past 12 years, while Oregon has played for two national championships and holds the conferences ONLY CFP victory.

I know tradition holds a ton of weight in college football, but over the past 10+ years, Oregon has been the conference's dominant school. It's time for others in the media to take notice.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Mario may not himself be looking for more money but he may use this as leverage to get more money for his assistants.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lmduck wrote:Mario may not himself be looking for more money but he may use this as leverage to get more money for his assistants.
At this point, probably not. He, himself, may not be highly paid compared to his peers, but his assistants are generally compensated better than every other school living on the same TV deal. The assistant pool has roughly doubled in the last few years.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.