It's weird to be excited about our defense.....

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: It's weird to be excited about our defense.....

Post by karlhungis »

We are #3 in turnover margin now
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

What I find odd is that most people here are saying that the scheme so far is a bend don't break style defense. I'm not disagreeing or anything as that's what it looked like against tOSU. However, looking at what hythloday put together when the hire was initially made, DeRuyter has a history of finding creative ways to get to the QB and disguising blitzes. This aggressive play style isn't what I'd call bend dont break. I'm not saying hytholday knows everything but here's a direct quote from his write up:
"DeRuyter is far more eager to bring extra rushers and trust six, five, or even four in coverage to hold up long enough for the blitz to get home."

https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2021/2/ ... nd-blitzes
https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2021/2/ ... -turnovers

Maybe he's saving these things for a more urgent situation down the stretch. Perhaps he doesn't believe the personnel can get to the QB right now anyways so it's not worth it (no KT, majority of DE's/Edge players are out, no Flowe).
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

The D is opportunistic and by games end that is a determinant.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The D was missing 5 starters yesterday, and still only gave up 7 points. Not many years UO could lose those type of guys, and still be solid.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

ducks5ever wrote:What I find odd is that most people here are saying that the scheme so far is a bend don't break style defense. I'm not disagreeing or anything as that's what it looked like against tOSU. However, looking at what hythloday put together when the hire was initially made, DeRuyter has a history of finding creative ways to get to the QB and disguising blitzes. This aggressive play style isn't what I'd call bend dont break. I'm not saying hytholday knows everything but here's a direct quote from his write up:
"DeRuyter is far more eager to bring extra rushers and trust six, five, or even four in coverage to hold up long enough for the blitz to get home."

https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2021/2/ ... nd-blitzes
https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2021/2/ ... -turnovers

Maybe he's saving these things for a more urgent situation down the stretch. Perhaps he doesn't believe the personnel can get to the QB right now anyways so it's not worth it (no KT, majority of DE's/Edge players are out, no Flowe).
I think he is just dealing with the players that he has available and that is leading to the softer defense. Once we get some of the bodies back, I think the defense will be very solid.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Our pass defense is a work in progress. Haener and OSU’s quarterback both exposed us and it’s out there for all to see. Our corners are excellent at bump and follow…any team with a decent quarterback will give us fits-right now.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine