17%

Total votes: 70
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Who’s the better coach?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

4 BCS bowls in a row is the better coach, always.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’d bet Mario would be the better NFL coach.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:I’d bet Mario would be the better NFL coach.
I doubt it. Mario's strengths are being a great recruiter and really connecting well to kids. I think he would be a very average, if not below average NFL coach.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:I’m not putting down Chip fwiw. I just think his roster was stacked from Day 1. While people undervalue just how bad our roster was when MC got the job. I know Mario does things that are maddening, and you want to throw your remote through the TV sometimes. But Chip also had those games. Auburn he completely changed what he did inside the 20, and it cost us the Natty. There was no reason we didn’t score 38 in that game. And LSU, another game he just blew.
This is a really important point, even outside of this discussion. We tend to view the past with rose colored glasses.

What makes the comparison intriguing is they’re such different coaches. And one of the most obvious differences is how their teams perform in big games. Some of those seasons under Chip were my least favorite ever; the regular season would have almost no intrigue because every game was such a blowout, then in the one game that mattered all season we’d fall flat on our face. Mario’s teams are almost the exact opposite. As of now, I prefer dealing with some frustrating regular season games but consistently winning the big OOC and championship/bowl games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Dana Altman!

For football...I'll take Chip, but I like and enjoy Mario. He needs to be less rigid though on gameday and his clock management is brutal at times.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I'm not sure how this is even a discussion right now. I am excited about having Mario fan, but it is not even close right now. I believe he will get there some day, but right now, it's Chip by a mile.

He only lost 3 conference games the entire time he was the head coach. There is a reasonable chance that we lose that many conference games just this year alone.
He absolutely squashed teams that were not on the same level. He outcoached them and out schemed them on a consistent basis.
There were not clock management issues under Chip.
He always played to win.
Chip utilized talent on the roster and played to their strengths.
Got us to the NC game and gave us a chance to win it.
He lost a total of 7 games in 4 years. Every single opponent that Oregon lost to was on par or equal to Oregon from a talent perspective.
Here are the losses:
No.1 Auburn
No. 4 LSU
No. 8 tOSU
No. 13 Stanford
No. 14 Boise
No. 18 USC
Stanford (2009)

What I don't see are losses to teams like Oregon State, Cal, ASU, or 0.500 Stanford teams. And Chip did all this with recruiting classes that were never ranked in the Top 10.

I have faith that Mario will eventually get us there, but right now....Its Chip.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

northbeachsf wrote:I'm not sure how this is even a discussion right now. I am excited about having Mario fan, but it is not even close right now. I believe he will get there some day, but right now, it's Chip by a mile.

He only lost 3 conference games the entire time he was the head coach. There is a reasonable chance that we lose that many conference games just this year alone.
He absolutely squashed teams that were not on the same level. He outcoached them and out schemed them on a consistent basis.
He always played to win.
He lost a total of 7 games in 4 years. Every single opponent that Oregon lost to was on par or equal to Oregon from a talent perspective.
Here are the losses:
No.1 Auburn
No. 4 LSU
No. 8 tOSU
No. 13 Stanford
No. 14 Boise
No. 18 USC
Stanford (2009)

What I don't see are losses to teams like Oregon State, Cal, ASU, or 0.500 Stanford teams. And Chip did all this with recruiting classes that were never ranked in the Top 10.

I have faith that Mario will eventually get us there, but right now....Its Chip.
2004 was ranked anywhere from 9-11. So chips first team did have some of those guys on it. Also 2007 was anywhere from 12-14 ranked class. 2010 also finished 12. The assertion Chip had no talent is false.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

buckmarkduck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:I'm not sure how this is even a discussion right now. I am excited about having Mario fan, but it is not even close right now. I believe he will get there some day, but right now, it's Chip by a mile.

He always played to win.
Here are the losses:
No.1 Auburn
No. 4 LSU
No. 8 tOSU
No. 13 Stanford
No. 14 Boise
No. 18 USC
Stanford (2009)

2004 was ranked anywhere from 9-11. So chips first team did have some of those guys on it. Also 2007 was anywhere from 12-14 ranked class. 2010 also finished 12. The assertion Chip had no talent is false.
I was not saying that Chip didn't have talent, only that Mario has more and has accomplished less.

I like to debate like anyone, but this one I just don't get. How could you look at Chip's teams making 4 BCS games in 4 years, getting to a NC, never losing to sub-par teams, and doing it all with less overall talent on the roster than Mario and then click the box for Mario?? Maybe someday, but not now.

Chip got us to the National Championship game despite not having a Top-10 composite recruiting class the previous 4 years. If you look back at the statistics, I believe he is the only coach to do that in the last 20 years.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I like to debate like anyone, but this one I just don't get. How could you look at Chip's teams making 4 BCS games in 4 years, getting to a NC, never losing to sub-par teams, and doing it all with less overall talent on the roster than Mario and then click the box for Mario?? Maybe someday, but not now.
You're right... this isn't really a serious debate. Chip is Oregon's greatest coach ever and it's not even close right now. As I said above, I think Bellotti has a legitimate claim to the #2 spot, as he took us to a #2 ranking, won Pac-12 titles, and sustained a great (and innovative) on-field product for most of 15 years. He also maintained an excellent staff and was responsible for finding Chip.

I love Cristobal's recruiting, but recruiting alone does not a GOAT make.

Also, I strongly disagree with the narrative that Cristobal was light years better with recruiting. Is he better? Yes, of course he is. But we're talking the difference between 5th-ish ranked classes and 11th-12th-ish ranked classes. It's not like Chip's classes were outside the top 20. And what good are high recruiting rankings if you're an inferior judge of talent? So far, I'd say Chip got more bang for the buck from his star recruits than Cristobal has gotten from his -- but it's early.

I'm happy with Cristobal, even though his Bellotti-ish conservative game calls seem misguided in this era of college football. He SHOULD become our undisputed #2 coach and, if he sticks around, could very well unseat Chip as the GOAT.

He ain't there yet.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Chalk me up in the 'not a debate' column. Aside from the aforementioned successes, Chip's teams were fun to watch and we are still reaping the benefit of a generation of kids watching and wanting to become ducks, which Mario himself admits is one of the reasons he is able to recruit all over the country. Mario's brand of offense is, quite frankly, not very fun to watch, and I find myself watching less and less of the games lately. If I, as a diehard duck fan since youth, feel this way, I can imagine how the rest of the country feels.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Too bad we couldn’t have had the last few years, Chip as our head coach and Cristobal as O-line coach and recruiting like he can. We might have won a NC or two. To summarize-best coach? Chip and it’s not even close.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I don’t feel comfortable choosing one over the other because of the disparity of the situations they inherited.

Chip received a ready made staff full of veteran assistants, at one of the most stable programs in college football, where he got to build a cache as the OC for two years, where as OC he got to reap the benefits of Bellotti’s coaching. I don’t mean to take away from his genius, but it was also the right guy at the right time at the right place.

Cristobal took over a program that was desperate for continuity and relevance as the third head coach in under 400 days. With a staff where the DC was bitter and the OC wasn’t hired to be the play caller. With a roster that wasn’t exactly stocked with blue chips. He’s built the program back up to desirability.

In game coach: Chip.
Program builder: Mario.

We were lucky to get Chip when we did and he was lucky to land there. We were lucky to get Mario when we did and he was lucky to get the opportunity. Both have worked out for us given our needs at the time. Let’s be grateful for that.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I don’t feel comfortable choosing one over the other because of the disparity of the situations they inherited.

Chip received a ready made staff full of veteran assistants, at one of the most stable programs in college football, where he got to build a cache as the OC for two years, where as OC he got to reap the benefits of Bellotti’s coaching. I don’t mean to take away from his genius, but it was also the right guy at the right time at the right place.

Cristobal took over a program that was desperate for continuity and relevance as the third head coach in under 400 days. With a staff where the DC was bitter and the OC wasn’t hired to be the play caller. With a roster that wasn’t exactly stocked with blue chips. He’s built the program back up to desirability.

In game coach: Chip.
Program builder: Mario.

We were lucky to get Chip when we did and he was lucky to land there. We were lucky to get Mario when we did and he was lucky to get the opportunity. Both have worked out for us given our needs at the time. Let’s be grateful for that.
We lost to a bad Stanford team and almost lost to a terrible Cal team at home. Cristobal should be grateful… The fan base? Let’s see how they finish the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I'm leaning towards Cristobal but that is based on the fact that I think this year will be a successful season and that Ty Thompson will have success with Cristobal. Chip took Oregon to a BCS bowl every year he coached but Cristobal has been in BCS bowls 2 out of 3 years. Also, the Redbox bowl year was a solid first season where they beat Washington the year after they made the playoffs. Chip was more consistent than Cristobal but Chip struggled in the huge games. TV time outs and the fact they review everything in a big game threw off Chip sometimes.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:I'm leaning towards Cristobal but that is based on the fact that I think this year will be a successful season and that Ty Thompson will have success with Cristobal. Chip took Oregon to a BCS bowl every year he coached but Cristobal has been in BCS bowls 2 out of 3 years. Also, the Redbox bowl year was a solid first season where they beat Washington the year after they made the playoffs. Chip was more consistent than Cristobal but Chip struggled in the huge games. TV time outs and the fact they review everything in a big game threw off Chip sometimes.
We got our butts whooped by Iowa State last year. Let's quit acting like Mario wins every big game he plays in when making the claim that Chip couldn't win any big games.