Very Disturbing allegations regarding female track athletes

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Very Disturbing allegations regarding female track athle

Post by karlhungis »

Very disturbing that the women claim they felt "devalued" by a data driven process focused on weight and BMI? I find the faux outrage more disturbing than the allegations.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:Very disturbing that the women claim they felt "devalued" by a data driven process focused on weight and BMI? I find the faux outrage more disturbing than the allegations.
The fact you find the faux outrage more disturbing says a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It's not disturbing though even if some of what is alleged is wrong like telling an athlete they "aren't good enough." How was it said and what led up to it?

This isn't years of sexual abuse like Larry Nassar - it's elite level athletes trying to find a competitive edge and the need to also remember to treat student athletes in a positive, uplifting manner. To that end it is good that former athletes have spoken up. Coaches need feedback too and often we forget that.

It isn't a story to be proud of nor do I think it's a story that I'm shocked and outraged by either. The AD and coaches need to take it seriously but I'm not calling for heads after reading that like with Nassar...
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Context matters. You don't treat youth athletes the same way you treat Olympians, and I think the one clear failing by the Oregon staff is forgetting that these women are somewhere in the between. There have been rumblings of poor coaching/treatment by the Oregon staff for a while, which has translated in the women's distance group dropping from elite to fringe top 25, which is crazy for Oregon.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

lmduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Very disturbing that the women claim they felt "devalued" by a data driven process focused on weight and BMI? I find the faux outrage more disturbing than the allegations.

The fact you are outraged that D1 level athletes are encouraged to maintain an optimal BMI says a lot as well.
OregonFan4life -
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:
lmduck wrote:

The fact you are outraged that D1 level athletes are encouraged to maintain an optimal BMI says a lot as well.
Apparently reading comprehension is not in your wheelhouse.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Context matters. You don't treat youth athletes the same way you treat Olympians, and I think the one clear failing by the Oregon staff is forgetting that these women are somewhere in the between. There have been rumblings of poor coaching/treatment by the Oregon staff for a while, which has translated in the women's distance group dropping from elite to fringe top 25, which is crazy for Oregon.
Exactly my point STU and clearly that context is lost on some here. There have been ‘whispers’ about this for a long time and it’s much more than the expectation that these athletes maintain a specified body weight or other specific measurements.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

lmduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Apparently reading comprehension is not in your wheelhouse.

From the tweet you were so disturbed by
"University of Oregon women track athletes alleging they felt victimized by the program's data-driven approach to weight and body fat percentage."

Yeah, I must be struggling to comprehend the actual meaning of these words.
OregonFan4life -