It’s confidence, this has been the theme of his entire career. If he had the mental toughness of Pritchard he’d be Pac-12 POY.droop10 wrote:Well, he’s allowed to shoot because he’s one of the best shooters in the conference. However, something has been off with him the last 3 weeks. I don’t know if it’s confidence or injury related, but he can’t buy a basket lately.rockthief wrote:Why RIchardson was allowed to shoot is beyond me. Jeez, anybody but him tonight. He went 0-8. Ducks died by the three.
MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15219
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39229
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Rewatching the final USC shot, it was a clear mistake on Oregon's part as Williams and Guerrier were switching but they weren't aggressive/fast about doing it, allowing Peterson to get an uncontested three.

- dd10snoop28
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 am
- GM: New Jersey Nets GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
yupOregonFan4Life wrote:It’s confidence, this has been the theme of his entire career. If he had the mental toughness or Pritchard he’d be Pac-12 POY.droop10 wrote:Well, he’s allowed to shoot because he’s one of the best shooters in the conference. However, something has been off with him the last 3 weeks. I don’t know if it’s confidence or injury related, but he can’t buy a basket lately.rockthief wrote:Why RIchardson was allowed to shoot is beyond me. Jeez, anybody but him tonight. He went 0-8. Ducks died by the three.

- dd10snoop28
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 am
- GM: New Jersey Nets GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
it's been the same thing since his freshman year. his skills are one of the best in the conference so but his confidence/mental fortitude is so bad.

- dd10snoop28
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 am
- GM: New Jersey Nets GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Just went through some of my prior posts on Richardson and, yup, this has been an ongoing theme:
11/27/18
Oddly enough, I think the best natural play-maker on this team is Will Richardson. However, he is being extremely reserved/conservative on the offensive end so we are not getting a true picture of what he can do. This may putting undue pressure on a player, but I think he is a key factor for us this yr.
1/7/19
Richardson: similar to Pritchard [playing tentatively] except his is even a BETTER finisher at the rim (and in my opinion, he is the best on the team).... but he is even more tentative than Pritchard....I see no improvement in his aggressive the whole season. Why not?
11/9/19
I always focus a lot on Richardson b/c I think he has a lot of potential that goes untapped. I am hoping for much more aggression in attacking the basket this year. Didn't see much improvement last night but it's early. I don't see anybody on our team that is great at attacking the basket off the dribble except PP so we need WR to set up.
3/12/21
Our team with a confident Richardson is top 5 in NCAAB in my opinion.
11/27/18
Oddly enough, I think the best natural play-maker on this team is Will Richardson. However, he is being extremely reserved/conservative on the offensive end so we are not getting a true picture of what he can do. This may putting undue pressure on a player, but I think he is a key factor for us this yr.
1/7/19
Richardson: similar to Pritchard [playing tentatively] except his is even a BETTER finisher at the rim (and in my opinion, he is the best on the team).... but he is even more tentative than Pritchard....I see no improvement in his aggressive the whole season. Why not?
11/9/19
I always focus a lot on Richardson b/c I think he has a lot of potential that goes untapped. I am hoping for much more aggression in attacking the basket this year. Didn't see much improvement last night but it's early. I don't see anybody on our team that is great at attacking the basket off the dribble except PP so we need WR to set up.
3/12/21
Our team with a confident Richardson is top 5 in NCAAB in my opinion.

- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15219
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Dang for all I knew you copied my posts over the years! I have always felt the same way with Richardson, he’s basically the same player now. He hasn’t grown confidence and he also hasn’t grown in strength (which is why he doesn’t handle contact when finishing at the rim). It’s tough to watch as a fan, cause you feel for him. I think he needs sports therapy. I remember his Fr year suggesting he start at PG and Pritchard start at SG to help him build confidence and plus I feel like Pritchard plays more like a SG anyways. I wonder what would’ve happened if he played PG his Fr year, probably nothing. But if Richardson finds his confidence he could still salvage an NBA career. But as he stands now, he has no chance. NBA caliber players don’t finish a big game with 2 points coming only from free throws.dd10snoop28 wrote:Just went through some of my prior posts on Richardson and, yup, this has been an ongoing theme:
11/27/18
Oddly enough, I think the best natural play-maker on this team is Will Richardson. However, he is being extremely reserved/conservative on the offensive end so we are not getting a true picture of what he can do. This may putting undue pressure on a player, but I think he is a key factor for us this yr.
1/7/19
Richardson: similar to Pritchard [playing tentatively] except his is even a BETTER finisher at the rim (and in my opinion, he is the best on the team).... but he is even more tentative than Pritchard....I see no improvement in his aggressive the whole season. Why not?
11/9/19
I always focus a lot on Richardson b/c I think he has a lot of potential that goes untapped. I am hoping for much more aggression in attacking the basket this year. Didn't see much improvement last night but it's early. I don't see anybody on our team that is great at attacking the basket off the dribble except PP so we need WR to set up.
3/12/21
Our team with a confident Richardson is top 5 in NCAAB in my opinion.

- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39229
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
During that early Pac-12 season run, he was attacking the rim and shooting it well. Now, he's barely driving the ball and his shots are always tentative looking. There's definitely something else going on with him besides just confidence issues.

-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8675
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
This team has no clear leader on the court, just a group of great players, and it becomes glaringly obvious in moments like last night. In almost every big moment this season they devolve into chaotic rat ball. Brutal.

- nogerO
- Senior
- Posts: 4516
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:48 pm
- Location: Wyoming
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Altman brought in a whole team of rat ball types. Did he not do his homework? Or did he think he could coach it out of them? Disappointing doesn’t cover it all!dthomas=ddixon wrote:This team has no clear leader on the court, just a group of great players, and it becomes glaringly obvious in moments like last night. In almost every big moment this season they devolve into chaotic rat ball. Brutal.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
-
GrantDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Rarely critique Altman, but thought it was a major mistake to not have N'Faly in for defense down the stretch.
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15219
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
Altman has never really been one to utilize a traditional big like Dante. He’s always seemed to like the slightly undersized athletic bigs who block shots (Wooten and Bell) or the lanky bigs that can stretch the floor (Boucher and Bol). Dante should be getting 20 and 10 a night especially in the Pac-12. Not sure why Dante isn’t being fully utilized.GrantDuck wrote:Rarely critique Altman, but thought it was a major mistake to not have N'Faly in for defense down the stretch.

-
northbeachsf
- Freshman
- Posts: 1494
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Re: MBB: #16 USC @ Oregon (Feb. 26, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)
OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman has never really been one to utilize a traditional big like Dante. He’s always seemed to like the slightly undersized athletic bigs who block shots (Wooten and Bell) or the lanky bigs that can stretch the floor (Boucher and Bol). Dante should be getting 20 and 10 a night especially in the Pac-12. Not sure why Dante isn’t being fully utilized.GrantDuck wrote:Rarely critique Altman, but thought it was a major mistake to not have N'Faly in for defense down the stretch.
Yeah...its a little bit head scratching that Bittle has not seen the floor more, as he fits Altman's offense very well.
I think Dante is victim to our guards over dribbling, not sharing the ball enough, and taking a lot of bad shots. 8-34 from our three top guards against USC. The thing that makes me the most nuts about this team, is the 1 on 1 basketball that results in a contested jumper when they are in the bonus......see down the stretch against USC. Get the ball inside and pound it and get to the line.
Crazy.