2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: Sabally, Parrish, Watson leaving WBB program

Post by duck023 »

greenyellow wrote:
duck023 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Add Pinto to the Transfer Portal. With the other transfers it seemed like she had an opportunity for significant minutes, but obviously playing time is not the only factor in these transfers as so many of them were already starters. 3 Oregon State starters, 3 Oregon starters or main rotational players just here in this state.
It's not looking good Oregon's lost all their great recruits in one season. Whether you like Keenan Lowe or not I'm starting to think you are right about the stars mattering in basketball. Oregon losing all their great talent and having to rebuild from a rebuild isn't good. I think Graves has lost control of this team.
They've got the #2 recruiting class in the country coming in so things aren't as bad you and some other Duck fans are making it.
Yeah but weren't all the transfers from a really good recruiting class. What's to stop this next class from all transferring? Other than Pao Pao Oregon lost their whole great recruiting class and I don't see why this new one is going to be any different. Is Van Slooten any better than Parrish? Or any more loyal? I haven't seen any proof.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: 2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Post by duck023 »

greenyellow wrote:
I like her optimism and I hope she is the leader Oregon needs. Right now it seems like Oregon gained one 4 star and lost a bunch of 5 stars so hopefully that will even out.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Oregon is still top 2 or 3 talent wise in the PAC even after these transfers. Counting the #2 ranked incoming class coming but not counting likely transfers KG will bring in. Beats the heck out of OSU who at the end of the season was top 2 or 3 in returning talent but today lost their 4th starter in Taya Corosdale. They are now in the bottom half even with a Top 5 class coming in. They need transfers in badly.

Oregon still has 2 All-Pac level players and a third with all the tools to be one. They'll have 3 6'7" or taller players plus 2 penetrating guards but a hole in a 40% 3 point shooter. Hopefully that will be KG's next incoming transfer. If not Isai can do a bit of everything though I don't know her 3 pointer percentage. Gray was shooting 3s really well in the McDonalds game. (Plus in 2 years Amari Whiting is a PP3 clone and will be a fan favorite.)

Stanford has overwhelming talent but after that, Oregon will have the next most raw talent and they'll be a veteran dominated team for the first time since Sabrina and crew left. Hope they establish chemistry and a mid-range and inside game to weather their likely undependable 3 point shooting.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Oregon is still top 2 or 3 talent wise in the PAC even after these transfers. Counting the #2 ranked incoming class coming but not counting likely transfers KG will bring in. Beats the heck out of OSU who at the end of the season was top 2 or 3 in returning talent but today lost their 4th starter in Taya Corosdale. They are now in the bottom half even with a Top 5 class coming in. They need transfers in badly.

Oregon still has 2 All-Pac level players and a third with all the tools to be one. They'll have 3 players 6'7" or taller players plus 2 penetrating guards but a hole in a 40% 3 point shooter. Hopefully that will be KG's next incoming transfer. If not Isai can do a bit of everything though I don't know her 3 pointer percentage. Gray was shooting 3s really well in the McDonalds game. (Plus in 2 years Amari Whiting is a PP3 clone and will be a fan favorite.)

Stanford has overwhelming talent but after that, Oregon will have the next most raw talent and they'll be a veteran dominated team for the first time since Sabrina and crew left. Hope they establish chemistry and a mid-range and inside game to weather their likely undependable 3 point shooting.
The good news is I got Kyei confused with Pinto so it's not as bad as what I first thought. If Oregon loses Kyei there are some problems. The bad news I went down the roster and Oregon has like 5 players right now. Although I compared Sedona Prince to Breanna Stewart because they both skilled for their size and sort of have a chip on their shoulder at times. However, Sedona Prince only came with Breanna's edge when that weight room thing happened. I do like Pao Pao but I'm worried she'll be asked to carry the whole team and even Sabrina wasn't asked to do that.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Too Early Projected Starting lineup
Main Starters:
Paoao, Rogers, Prince

If going big: Kyei, VanSlooten or Hosendove.

5th starter or 4th and 5th if playing small:
Hurst, Hanson, Gray, Isai

More Transfers in will undoubtedly change this 10 player rotation. Bold are freshmen.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck023 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Oregon is still top 2 or 3 talent wise in the PAC even after these transfers. Counting the #2 ranked incoming class coming but not counting likely transfers KG will bring in. Beats the heck out of OSU who at the end of the season was top 2 or 3 in returning talent but today lost their 4th starter in Taya Corosdale. They are now in the bottom half even with a Top 5 class coming in. They need transfers in badly.

Oregon still has 2 All-Pac level players and a third with all the tools to be one. They'll have 3 players 6'7" or taller players plus 2 penetrating guards but a hole in a 40% 3 point shooter. Hopefully that will be KG's next incoming transfer. If not Isai can do a bit of everything though I don't know her 3 pointer percentage. Gray was shooting 3s really well in the McDonalds game. (Plus in 2 years Amari Whiting is a PP3 clone and will be a fan favorite.)

The good news is I got Kyei confused with Pinto so it's not as bad as what I first thought. If Oregon loses Kyei there are some problems. The bad news I went down the roster and Oregon has like 5 players right now. Although I compared Sedona Prince to Breanna Stewart because they both skilled for their size and sort of have a chip on their shoulder at times. However, Sedona Prince only came with Breanna's edge when that weight room thing happened. I do like Pao Pao but I'm worried she'll be asked to carry the whole team and even Sabrina wasn't asked to do that.
Based on the current additions/subtractions, they've got 11 players on the roster. It remains to be seen if Graves uses all 15 of his scholarships as he's typically kept a more MBB-esque 12-13 player roster most years at Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Parrish headed to IU now.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

greenyellow wrote:Parrish headed to IU now.
Not one of my predictions that I'm happy about. I really liked her skills and she seemed like the type that would get better as a junior and senior. However, I knew if Graves kept playing transfer players over her that she would go back to Indiana especially since they made the sweet 16.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck023 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Parrish headed to IU now.
Not one of my predictions that I'm happy about. I really liked her skills and she seemed like the type that would get better as a junior and senior. However, I knew if Graves kept playing transfer players over her that she would go back to Indiana especially since they made the sweet 16.
What are you talking about? Parrish played the 5th most minutes on the team and was on the floor at end of most of their games this season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Watson headed to Notre Dame.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Pinto headed to Penn State.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Scherr is headed to Kentucky.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So Parrish and Scherr both went home. Wish them the best.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Graves is saying that he and his staff are likely done and will stick with the 11 players they've got on roster. He thinks that adding more transfers on top of all the recruits just leads to more transferring as there isn't enough playing time to go around.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Graves is saying that he and his staff are likely done and will stick with the 11 players they've got on roster. He thinks that adding more transfers on top of all the recruits just leads to more transferring as there isn't enough playing time to go around.
I was pleased when I saw this interview earlier. I think Graves is right, the last 2 years the squads have had too many players of similar talent, thus difficult to keep players happy with not enough minutes to go around.

This will be a veteran led team this year, the first since Sabrina's last year. The team has a real hole in experience at the 4 spot but no other glaring weakness.