MBB: #25 UConn v Oregon (Nov. 24, Thu 5 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: MBB: #25 UConn v Oregon (Nov. 24, Thu 5 PM ESPN2)

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucks7 wrote:
droop10 wrote:
GoDucks7 wrote:Altman's teams are getting worse and worse despite getting more talented players. Yeah we have the injury bug early this year but the guys who are playing look terrible. Offense is stale and defense is slow and soft. I'm getting tired of Altman. Relying on your teams to make late runs just to get into the tournament as a 10+ seed is unsustainable and frustrating. I think it's time to start considering a new coach for the program. This team is as bad as I can remember and just an absolute embarrassment to watch.
A lot of your complaints are a result of the injuries. When you’re forced to play big lineups, shooting, driving and perimeter defense will naturally suffer. There are very sub-optimal lineups to be playing. You have a guy in Williams starting and he may have been redshirted if it weren’t for injuries. They had to play way more zone today than usual, because of the lack of perimeter D and trying to keep guys out of foul trouble with only 7 healthy scholarship players. The team as is can’t be judged at all. This is different than previous Altman teams that took a few months to develop. This team won’t be good until January due to key guys being out and lack of playing time together. Unfortunately, they’re going to need to win the conference tourney this year, because a tough non-conference schedule means they’ll have dug a pretty big hole by the time guys start to come back.
Maybe we need a different strength and conditioning coach or something because this has become an annual occurrence. Either way, I just can't fathom how 3-4 injured guys results in this bad of a blowout. UCONN is good but it's not like we are playing Gonzaga or Kansas. The team shows little to no effort, can't hit open shots and misses countless baskets within 5 feet. That doesn't have much to do with injuries. The guys who are healthy stink. I'm not sure this team would beat University of Portland if we end up playing them. And no we will not be in the tournament this year because we will likely be a bottom 8 seed in the PAC 12 tourney requiring 4 wins just to get in, 1 of which will need to be U of A or UCLA.
They just hired a new S&C this off-season so it's not like he's responsible for past seasons. I'm not sure why you can't see that missing 3-4 rotation guys on the perimeter is affecting their ability to perform. There's been no time on the floor for chemistry to develop and they're having to play more zone defense because they don't have the manpower to play aggressive man-to-man defense and/or take fouls with the guards.
GoDucks7
One Star Recruit

Post by GoDucks7 »

greenyellow wrote:I don't think you quite get how much not being able to go live throughout practices for nearly a month affects timing, chemistry, and awareness. Going 3v3 or against just air isn't the same as 5v5 basketball.
I understand that having guys available for practice is important. I guess you aren't understanding my point that the guys who are practicing and are healthy still can't hit free throws, make open shots, or in Will Richardson's case, can't operate the same offense as a 4th year player. I don't think Will needs 5 on 5 every day after 4 years to be able to make something happen in this offense. And if he does, maybe it's too complicated and maybe needs to be adjusted. You don't need 5 on 5 to practice free throws, dribbling and passing and shooting uncontested three pointers. If the guys playing were average at doing any of those things this team would be exponentially better. But we can see where they are at in January/February when we are getting blown out by the PAC 12, while making the same mistakes and poor play, despite having a healthy and complete roster.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I’m going to try to hold off on any hot takes until we see some guys come back from injury but man, this is ugly. We recruit at a genuinely elite level now but somehow we’re still stuck in the thrown-together-Altman-roster phase. I don’t get it. If you can manage to get three 5* posts on the same roster you should be able to get a couple quality guards too, not relying on leftovers from the transfer scrap pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucks7
One Star Recruit

Post by GoDucks7 »

greenyellow wrote:
GoDucks7 wrote:
droop10 wrote:
GoDucks7 wrote:Altman's teams are getting worse and worse despite getting more talented players. Yeah we have the injury bug early this year but the guys who are playing look terrible. Offense is stale and defense is slow and soft. I'm getting tired of Altman. Relying on your teams to make late runs just to get into the tournament as a 10+ seed is unsustainable and frustrating. I think it's time to start considering a new coach for the program. This team is as bad as I can remember and just an absolute embarrassment to watch.
A lot of your complaints are a result of the injuries. When you’re forced to play big lineups, shooting, driving and perimeter defense will naturally suffer. There are very sub-optimal lineups to be playing. You have a guy in Williams starting and he may have been redshirted if it weren’t for injuries. They had to play way more zone today than usual, because of the lack of perimeter D and trying to keep guys out of foul trouble with only 7 healthy scholarship players. The team as is can’t be judged at all. This is different than previous Altman teams that took a few months to develop. This team won’t be good until January due to key guys being out and lack of playing time together. Unfortunately, they’re going to need to win the conference tourney this year, because a tough non-conference schedule means they’ll have dug a pretty big hole by the time guys start to come back.
Maybe we need a different strength and conditioning coach or something because this has become an annual occurrence. Either way, I just can't fathom how 3-4 injured guys results in this bad of a blowout. UCONN is good but it's not like we are playing Gonzaga or Kansas. The team shows little to no effort, can't hit open shots and misses countless baskets within 5 feet. That doesn't have much to do with injuries. The guys who are healthy stink. I'm not sure this team would beat University of Portland if we end up playing them. And no we will not be in the tournament this year because we will likely be a bottom 8 seed in the PAC 12 tourney requiring 4 wins just to get in, 1 of which will need to be U of A or UCLA.
They just hired a new S&C this off-season so it's not like he's responsible for past seasons. I'm not sure why you can't see that missing 3-4 rotation guys on the perimeter is affecting their ability to perform. There's been no time on the floor for chemistry to develop and they're having to play more zone defense because they don't have the manpower to play aggressive man-to-man defense and/or take fouls with the guards.
Lol we will revisit this in 2 months when the roster is healthy. Unfortunately I don't think things will change. We just don't have the shooters this year, which is unfortunate, considering we have two of the most talented bigs we have ever had in Dante and Ware. Unless Rigsby and Cousinard come in and shoot high 30s/low 40s from 3, we will be the same team we saw tonight and against UC Irvine. This defense won't likely become much better either. Teams like Virginia and Houston get new players in each year and they have a good defensively philosophy and players who take pride in playing defense. This isn't the case with Altman's teams. You hear him mention lack of effort, especially on defensive rebounding every game of every year. It doesn't change.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some good news with Rigsby:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yikes I DVR’d the game but I saw the score and probably won’t watch now.

Any redeeming results from the game for us?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucks7
One Star Recruit

Post by GoDucks7 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yikes I DVR’d the game but I saw the score and probably won’t watch now.

The first 3 minutes were the best play from Oregon in the game. The walk ons got the most game time I’ve ever seen in a regular season game, which is great for them, but not good for Duck fans. Everyone but Ware played terribly. I would delete from your DVR and pretend like this game never happened.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

GoDucks7 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Yikes I DVR’d the game but I saw the score and probably won’t watch now.

The first 3 minutes were the best play from Oregon in the game. The walk ons got the most game time I’ve ever seen in a regular season game, which is great for them, but not good for Duck fans. Everyone but Ware played terribly. I would delete from your DVR and pretend like this game never happened.
I'd second that
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GDuck wrote:Just a bad team for a variety of reasons. Injuries factor in, but it is way more than that. Richardson is just not playing well and isn’t a leader. Next year we will see if things turn around - if they don’t, coaching has to be looked at closely. Just not seeing much ingenuity in the play calling anymore too.
This, 100%. Yeah injuries hurt but it’s too much of an excuse, the current guards are way underperforming and don’t look like D1 level talent. As a previous poster said, Richardson has regressed each year he’s been here. I am sticking with my prediction I made two seasons ago that Altman is retiring after next season.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Our defense was... bad. Just wow.

The IQ just isn't there on the defensive end, and that's a big problem.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

To be honest, this is the first time I've legitimately thought that maybe the time is up for Altman, but I know that he is the best coach we've ever had so we'd probably just go back to what we were before so....idk?

There just hasn't been the type of player development the past 2-3 season that we have seen in the past from Altman teams.

Additionally, there has been a lot of dysfunction on the defensive end and lack of general cohesiveness for our recent teams, which is a stark contrast to teams of the past that seem to have great cohesiveness by the time that the Pac-12 tourney is over.

So... not sure what the deal. I mean, you can blame the pandemic, player turnover, injuries etc... but we've had all of those in the past.

We got problems.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Given Dante’s decent offensive output, and their great shooting, I still can’t comprehend his one rebound in 30 minutes of action.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Our defense was... bad. Just wow.

The IQ just isn't there on the defensive end, and that's a big problem.
We need to recruit kids who play defense first and are adequate, good shooters on offense. Seems most kids these days just want stats and not steals, assists and rebounds.

Altman has lost some really good assistant coaches in the last few years, maybe why the coaching seems lacking? Don't know, just asking.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Just watch the Ware highlights on YouTube. He showed some college 3-pt range at the end which was excellent to see.