That would be my thinking on it. Why have the agent there if it's not to push the idea of "get better or trade me"?Duck07 wrote:I just can't come up with a rationale reason why Goodwin is there beyond to insinuate what potential exit-trades for Dame are available IF Joe doesn't make other moves for Dame. We'll start finding out what FA deals are agreed to in the coming hours though and if there is any type of direction.Phalanx wrote: Great post, thank you. I was wondering if the agent also might be mentioning trades that he knew could have been made, or might still be made. His presence in a meeting like that seems so insidious, especially for a relatively inexperienced GM.
I think they have to sign Grant if only because losing him means you don't free up cap space and now you've lost a moveable asset.
Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
squintsdd
- Senior
- Posts: 2066
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:39 am
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
- Phalanx
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5019
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Blazers waive Trendon Watford. I don't understand this move, since he was under contract for two more seasons at close to $2 million per. I'm pretty sure that money still counts against the cap. They had five such players they were paying to not play last year for around $8 million, and now there are four already lined up for next year. For a team constantly up against the tax and not wanting to go over it to be always adding this kind of dead weight makes no sense. I guess we'll see what amazing things they do with that roster spot. Maybe it means the French kid will be on the team next year.
I understand the logic that if you don't sign Grant, you can't replace him this season because they are still over the cap. That logic is exactly how the Blazers got in this mess of bad contracts though. Eventually, it would create cap space if they started getting smarter with contracts and roster management. But the Blazers are always in a deficit cap-wise, and forced to do further stupidity in order to 'build around Dame'. It will take years to unwind all of this garbage.
I understand the logic that if you don't sign Grant, you can't replace him this season because they are still over the cap. That logic is exactly how the Blazers got in this mess of bad contracts though. Eventually, it would create cap space if they started getting smarter with contracts and roster management. But the Blazers are always in a deficit cap-wise, and forced to do further stupidity in order to 'build around Dame'. It will take years to unwind all of this garbage.
-
bellsduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am
- GM: Utah Jazz
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Each story I've seen says his salary won't count against the cap.
- Phalanx
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5019
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
It looks like you're right. Final two years non-guaranteed, according to articles when he signed it. Well, that is something. Seemed like a good contract though, still not sure why they dumped him.bellsduck wrote:Each story I've seen says his salary won't count against the cap.
- pezsez1
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6296
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: RIP CITY
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
I'm just really excited to see which 6'5 shooting guard we'll sign to play the 3.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.

- pezsez1
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6296
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: RIP CITY
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
That seems like a significantly bigger contract than what Grant was valued at.Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
If it was in line with Kuzma and Draymond, I'd say it was a fair market deal. That'd put it around 5/125-130 but its about an extra 7M/year roughly and that feels like FOMO.pezsez1 wrote:That seems like a significantly bigger contract than what Grant was valued at.Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.
If another team was going to offer him 4/128, we'd all say it was too much for him. I've seen it posted that he's likely to be getting 27.2M this season so that's also roughly the return of contracts needed to send him out.

- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39224
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Most media members covering the Blazers had him getting around $30-35M this off-season so it's about right on target.pezsez1 wrote:That seems like a significantly bigger contract than what Grant was valued at.Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.

- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Fred Van Vleet fleecing the Rockets like that should help out the chances for a Simons for OG trade with Toronto.

-
squintsdd
- Senior
- Posts: 2066
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:39 am
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
I doubt Toronto makes that trade. They've been notoriously difficult to work with, and they just signed Trent. They might be the only team in the NBA that overvalues their players more than PortlandDuck07 wrote:Fred Van Vleet fleecing the Rockets like that should help out the chances for a Simons for OG trade with Toronto.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39224
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
I'm not getting these teams handing out $40M+ a year contracts to players like FVV, Tyrese Haliburton, and Desmond Bane. They're making Simons look like he's getting paid peanuts with his production.

-
alxtw
- Freshman
- Posts: 1265
- Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Hope other teams are noticing how good of a contract Simons is currently on. He has the upside of being just as good as those three, if he get enough pt and shots. Its a shame the entire world knows the Blazers are desperate to trade Simons, so teams are tactically negotiating cents on the dollar.greenyellow wrote:I'm not getting these teams handing out $40M+ a year contracts to players like FVV, Tyrese Haliburton, and Desmond Bane. They're making Simons look like he's getting paid peanuts with his production.
Not a big fan of the length of Grant's new contract. Will he be a better player in five years than players that got smaller and shorter contracts? (Draymond, Middleton)
- Phalanx
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5019
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Awful contract. Was Cronin drunk? Blazer management continues to act like rubes in regards to originating deals. This is the reason they have no depth, and why they will continue to be a terrible team. The search for a shrewd GM continues.