Sabrina Ionescu sets 3-point contest record

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Sabrina Ionescu sets 3-point contest record

Post by gogreen55 »

"The New York Liberty's Sabrina Ionescu broke WNBA and NBA records for most points in a 3-point shooting contest by hitting all but two of her treys in the final round of Friday's competition, which kicked off 2023 WNBA All-Star weekend.

Ionescu's 37 out of a possible 40 points surpass the single-round record of 31 in the NBA (done by Stephen Curry in 2021 and Tyrese Haliburton in 2023) and 30 in the WNBA (Allie Quigley in 2022)."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38 ... nt-contest
Duck07
All-American

Re: Sabrina Ionescu sets 3-point contest record

Post by Duck07 »

On a more important note for her, she's absolutely lighting it up as an outside shooter this year and finding her role more as a SG than a PG playing with other greats.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

"broke WNBA and NBA"

NBA line is a couple of feet farther out ... I know I'm being a spoilsport, but she'll break Curry's record when she shoots it from 23 feet.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:"The New York Liberty's Sabrina Ionescu broke WNBA and NBA records for most points in a 3-point shooting contest by hitting all but two of her treys in the final round of Friday's competition, which kicked off 2023 WNBA All-Star weekend.

Ionescu's 37 out of a possible 40 points surpass the single-round record of 31 in the NBA (done by Stephen Curry in 2021 and Tyrese Haliburton in 2023) and 30 in the WNBA (Allie Quigley in 2022)."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38 ... nt-contest

It's just so awesome. I've watched it several times now and it's still exciting!

Way to go, Sabrina!!! :-)
John 3:36
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

73duck wrote:"broke WNBA and NBA"

NBA line is a couple of feet farther out ... I know I'm being a spoilsport, but she'll break Curry's record when she shoots it from 23 feet.
I mean, I don't think anyone actually thinks she is a better shooter. Women play with a smaller basketball also, which makes things much easier for them. Spoiler alert....there is no comparison between women and men when it comes to sports. The more athleticism and strength a sport requires, the more glaringly wide the gap becomes.

All that being said, what Sabrina did was extremely impressive. She neared perfection, leaving little room for any woman or man to do any better, even if given the exact same circumstances.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

What an incredible talent! Oh what could have been that last postseason that got canceled by covid.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk