Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-QB1?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Does a 12-team Playoff help Ty Thompson's chances at being QB1?

Yes
No votes
No
76%
Why does this make me feel differently about him when phrased like this?
24%

Total votes: 34
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:I would've killed for Devin Brown out of high school, but he has really not shown up in college. He's huge and looks like a linebacker, and maybe that's effecting him? If I'm taking a player off of tOSU, I'm taking Kienholz 100%. It's been leaked from players that he looks like the best guy in practice, but is just a true freshman.

I think the list is: Michael Pratt (Tulane), Jaxson Dart (Ole Miss), Max Brosmer (New Hampshire), Cameron Ward maybe, Riley Leonard (Duke), Dante Moore (UCLA). What's interesting is if Riley Leonard ends up at Alabama, would Jalen Milroe be worth going to get? I'll throw in Conner Weigman if he wants out of aTm, I suppose, but I frankly need to see more of him play.
I wouldn't have said no at the beginning of the season, but I'd take him 100% now. Not really a fan of Conner Weigman, but the the rest of the list looks good.

I'm still a bit hesitant about Dante Moore because of his lack of experience. We're going to have a very good team again next year if we have the right guy at QB. I'd prefer an established QB over Moore. He might not even beat out Ty T. since Ty has so much experience in this type of system. Just my two bits.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote: I'm still a bit hesitant about Dante Moore because of his lack of experience. We're going to have a very good team again next year if we have the right guy at QB. I'd prefer an established QB over Moore. He might not even beat out Ty T. since Ty has so much experience in this type of system. Just my two bits.
Which is why going with Ty and using our limited scholarships and NIL to address other areas of need on the roster might be the most prudent move.

We're already questioning our current HS commit list for scholarships and wondering who leaves in order to fit them in.
JPJ is going to need some NIL to help make the decision to come back, same for Cornelius to make sure we essentially return our entire OL.
A lot of young talented DL on the interior but getting another experienced DT wouldn't hurt, same at CB and Safety.
Who replaces Troy's production at WR?

Right now I'm just not real enamored with most of the names showing up and I think our schedule is such that we're better off letting Ty get those 4 winnable games in before a Bye and starting B1G play because it isn't just about next year that will have a great looking team but the year after too.

Of course Dan will go after someone if he thinks they represent a clear upgrade but I also think that Ty looking far more aggressive than he ever had this year is a major sign of progress for him and that with the collective team around him, we don't have to go undefeated in a 12-team playoff to make it. Putting the Michigan and OSU games in the middle of the year also gives us the chance to end the year on a win streak in order to get back any rankings drop that might show up.

It will be interesting now that we're at the end of the year what kind of "insider" reports on Ty emerge. If we do get someone at QB in the Portal, I'd hope Ty still realizes that he's one play away from being QB1.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote: I'm still a bit hesitant about Dante Moore because of his lack of experience. We're going to have a very good team again next year if we have the right guy at QB. I'd prefer an established QB over Moore. He might not even beat out Ty T. since Ty has so much experience in this type of system. Just my two bits.
Which is why going with Ty and using our limited scholarships and NIL to address other areas of need on the roster might be the most prudent move.

We're already questioning our current HS commit list for scholarships and wondering who leaves in order to fit them in.
JPJ is going to need some NIL to help make the decision to come back, same for Cornelius to make sure we essentially return our entire OL.
A lot of young talented DL on the interior but getting another experienced DT wouldn't hurt, same at CB and Safety.

Right now I'm just not real enamored with most of the names showing up and I think our schedule is such that we're better off letting Ty get those 4 winnable games in before a Bye and starting B1G play because it isn't just about next year that will have a great looking team but the year after too.

Of course Dan will go after someone if he thinks they represent a clear upgrade but I also think that Ty looking far more aggressive than he ever had this year is a major sign of progress for him and that with the collective team around him, we don't have to go undefeated in a 12-team playoff to make it. Putting the Michigan and OSU games in the middle of the year also gives us the chance to end the year on a win streak in order to get back any rankings drop that might show up.

It will be interesting now that we're at the end of the year what kind of "insider" reports on Ty emerge. If we do get someone at QB in the Portal, I'd hope Ty still realizes that he's one play away from being QB1.

Good points.

Thompson is still just a sophomore. He played in 6 games this year, so he can't redshirt, but it sure would be nice if we could at least bring in a solid starter for one more year and then allow him to redshirt next season, if he'd be willing to. If needed, he could still play in up to 4 games.

Bobby Bowden used to swear by having a redshirt junior on hand to take over whenever a starter graduates.

This will be an interesting "wait and see" scenario after the season.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

SuperDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Good points.

Thompson is still just a sophomore. He played in 6 games this year, so he can't redshirt, but it sure would be nice if we could at least bring in a solid starter for one more year and then allow him to redshirt next season, if he'd be willing to. If needed, he could still play in up to 4 games.

Bobby Bowden used to swear by having a redshirt junior on hand to take over whenever a starter graduates.

He has already redshirted. This is his 3rd year in the program. He’ll be a redshirt Junior next year.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Does anyone know what kind of NIL deal Ty has, would it be reasonable to up his deal as a reward for loyalty and more incentive to come back IF Dan brings in another transfer. I’ve been fairly impressed with his improvement this year and would like to see what another offseason can do.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

I think Aiden Chiles is going to be an option. He's not going to MSU and is from California, I don't see him leaving the west coast.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Chiles would be a nice addition, but if Oregon takes another QB, it'll be a transfer they think can play right away in case Thompson can get it done.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Here's a new list of QBs who've announced that they're hitting the transfer portal.

Will Howard of Kansas State might be a hot name.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 05746.html
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

droop10 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Good points.

He has already redshirted. This is his 3rd year in the program. He’ll be a redshirt Junior next year.
Interesting. GoDucks.com has him listed as a sophomore this year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:

Bama resume is beat Auburn by less than New Mexico st. The 12 team playoff will be great, just wish it was 16 with no byes. While UGA won’t lose to whoever is 16, I wouldn’t bet against Arizona beating Michigan or Florida St.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Bama resume is beat Auburn by less than New Mexico st. The 12 team playoff will be great, just wish it was 16 with no byes. While UGA won’t lose to whoever is 16, I wouldn’t bet against Arizona beating Michigan or Florida St.
In that hypothetical, the 1st round host sites would be Austin, Colombus, Eugene and Tuscaloosa. The Networks couldn't be more pleased with a similar host site set-up if they got that next season.
jedi_ducks2177
One Star Recruit

Post by jedi_ducks2177 »

IF Ty is our QB next year, I think we are in serious trouble lol... we have Washington, USC, Michigan, Ohio State all to play.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

jedi_ducks2177 wrote:IF Ty is our QB next year, I think we are in serious trouble lol... we have Washington, USC, Michigan, Ohio State all to play.
We'll see what the transfer portal brings, but USC and washington are almost locks to take a step backwards, while Michigan will probably join them.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> We'll see what the transfer portal brings, but USC and washington are almost locks to take a step backwards, while Michigan will probably join them.

My sense is that teams that don't sign portal QBs take a step back. QBs that Oregon would consider signing are likely also targeted by UW or USC. QBs that Oregon signs don't go to USC or UW.

Oregon probably has its pick. Think of Lanning closing the deal with the parents; do you want your kid to deal out of a clean pocket at Oregon, or running for his life at UW or USC?