Huskies vs Michigan

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: Huskies vs Michigan

Post by alxtw »

They probably won't have another elite receiving corp any time soon. The person who recruited and built up that unit is on our coaching staff now. :lol:

I can sleep well tonight and not be flooded with annoying messages from UW friends.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I went to a sports bar here in Denver in an Oregon hoodie, let me tell you, it is a ton of fun to watch a championship as a pure hater. Huck the fuskies, hail to the victors baby!
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

F the Doogs. If Putin was leading a team into the championship game with his collection of All-Star Comrades, I would root for them over the purple pansies from the north. That was roughly the equivalent of the rooting options for this game.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

DOG GONE dELIGHTFUL dEFEAT!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Even more delightful looking at their schedule for next year, and seeing they will be lucky to win 7 games.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Indeed. Great, almost inexpressible relief from this Duck fan living in the Seattle area. Yes, I certainly hope this was more or less a "lightning in a bottle" year for UW and that we won't have to worry about this kind of a situation for a very very long time.

BTW, it was actually 12 straight wins by the Ducks (2004-2015) in the series with UW and, despite losing the last three, the Ducks are still 15-5 vs. UW since 2004.

And -- just saying --- UW remains without an undisputed national championship in football.
Last edited by Greenblood on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I take my hat off to Michigan. They played a good game.

That said, I don't think they're 3 TDs better than Washington.

UW shot themselves in the foot several times last night and cummulatively, that effected the outcome of the game.

Penix' timing was off much of the night. His communication with his receivers was off, as well. He repeatedly missed some wide open guys.

Oh, and the penalties were just brutal, They constantly put themselves in 3rd and VERY long. It's hard to maintain drives when a team does that.

I'll give some credit to the Michigan defense, but much of what happened was squarely on UW.

I don't like the big gap in the score because it doesn't make the Ducks look very good. Now I have another reason not to like UW. :-)
John 3:36
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Greenblood wrote:Indeed. Great, almost inexpressible relief from this Duck fan living in the Seattle area. Yes, I certainly hope this was more or less a "lightning in a bottle" year for UW and that we won't have to worry about this kind of a situation for a very very long time.

BTW, it was actually 12 straight wins by the Ducks (2004-2015) in the series with UW and, despite losing the last three, the Ducks are still 15-7 vs. UW since 2004.

And -- just saying --- UW remains without an undisputed national championship in football.
I have to wonder if DeBoer might see what the future holds at UW, realize that it's going to be very hard to maintain this level at UW with all the talent they've lost, and take an opportunity elsewhere while he's a hot commodity.

Just sayin".
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Everything really broke UW's way this season. It isn't just the talent... if anything, I'd say they benefited more from luck than talent. Pure luck gifted them at least three of their wins -- the first Oregon game, either the Arizona/ASU games with blown late-game calls, and the Apple Cup when they inexplicably weren't called for holding on fourth down late on their side of the field -- and I struggle to see that happening again in the B1G. Lots of filler teams in our new conference, but clearly some very good programs as well that won't allow the margins to be so thin.

Last night, those lucky breaks finally caught up to them a bit, and that definitely helped to put things right, but Michigan was clearly winning that game. It's a matchup thing. The Huskies matched up well against Oregon because of our thin secondary, but Michigan had UW's number because of its killer pass rush -- and Penix is bad under pressure. Has been all year. It's why Burch getting hurt in the P12 title game was such a huge deal. I honestly don't remember the last major college QB who deteriorated so quickly with any kind of pressure. I'm shocked this hasn't been talked about more often.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:I honestly don't remember the last major college QB who deteriorated so quickly with any kind of pressure. I'm shocked this hasn't been talked about more often.
Rob Staton of seahawksdraftblog.com is an English bloke who fell in love with football and started writing about it. He's a darn good analyst with film review and while he's adopted the poodles/seattle as his team/region, the poodle fans HATE that he's only given Penix a 3rd round grade at QB, primarily because of all of the scripted reads he has and how he has to show he can actually read a defense while under pressure.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

pezsez1 wrote: . . .

but Michigan had UW's number because of its killer pass rush -- and Penix is bad under pressure. Has been all year. It's why Burch getting hurt in the P12 title game was such a huge deal. I honestly don't remember the last major college QB who deteriorated so quickly with any kind of pressure. I'm shocked this hasn't been talked about more often.
I think that's an interesting point given that one of the foci of the pregame show was Penix's ability to evade the pass rush in the Texas game and then make big plays.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Two things.

First, after reading for the last decade that "Oregon's window to win a national championship is closing," I feel quite confident that uw's closed after just 1 season. They're going to lose a ton to the NFL draft- Trice, Penix, Odunze, Finau, Polk, Muhammad, Olufoshio, and more. This team didn't get this far on the back of DeBoer and Grubb's brain; they had a ton of (experienced) talent. The recruiting is better than the ratings aggregators suggest, but not elite enough to be better than the best B1G and best Southeastern Conference team in any year.

Second, I would take Oregon on a neutral field in 2024 against either of these teams. Consistent coaching staff, talent retention and talent infusion are all in Oregon's favor. Oregon's biggest missing puzzle piece is a defensive tackle who can show up in games like this, so if they can manage to fill that role, I like our chances in next year's playoffs.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

For me, the missing puzzle piece is corners until somebody proves otherwise.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:For me, the missing puzzle piece is corners until somebody proves otherwise.
You misspelled safety. We lost both times because of the safety play. Our starters missed the title game, but really most of the yards came against our safety’s and plus losing Burch allowed them to run the ball.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »