Chargers Cleaning House

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Chargers Cleaning House

Post by SuperDuck »

Just a thought. Odell Beckham Jr is still available in free agency. The Chargers are almost certainly looking around at players they could get at a bargain price on a 1 year deal.

I think this is a "stay tuned" scenario.
John 3:36
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

SuperDuck wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:51 am Just a thought. Odell Beckham Jr is still available in free agency. The Chargers are almost certainly looking around at players they could get at a bargain price on a 1 year deal.

I haven't heard much from him lately, so maybe he's cleaned up his attitude, but he has the potential to be a cancer if he doesn't get the ball.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Meh. Cancer is right. Move along, nothing to see here...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

squintsdd wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:32 am
SuperDuck wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:51 am Just a thought. Odell Beckham Jr is still available in free agency. The Chargers are almost certainly looking around at players they could get at a bargain price on a 1 year deal.

I haven't heard much from him lately, so maybe he's cleaned up his attitude, but he has the potential to be a cancer if he doesn't get the ball.
Well, considering the fact that he'd be the only experienced receiver they'd have, I'd think he'd have plenty of balls thrown his way.

I just heard that he was visiting Miami today, though.
John 3:36
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Big NO!!! on Becham. Best years long ago!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The rumor by Antonio Brown that the Chargers are working on a trade for Justin to Minnesota is now apparently being reflected in some betting odds. Not sure how serious to take it, but it would make me wonder why Harbaugh took the Chargers job to begin with. Most assumed it was to coach Justin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ma ... r-AA1nw3l2

Also, there are apparently massive salary cap issues that would prevent a trade like that.

Anyway, chalk it up to slow news day.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Wouldn't surprise me much. NOT a Hargbaugh fan...something greasy about him.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:18 am The rumor by Antonio Brown that the Chargers are working on a trade for Justin to Minnesota is now apparently being reflected in some betting odds. Not sure how serious to take it, but it would make me wonder why Harbaugh took the Chargers job to begin with. Most assumed it was to coach Justin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ma ... r-AA1nw3l2

Also, there are apparently massive salary cap issues that would prevent a trade like that.

Anyway, chalk it up to slow news day.
Apparently the writers at CTE-SPNN all have limited cognitive function.

In order to trade Justin, LA has to pay him something like 70 Million. As this pretends that it will happen before/during the draft, this means the Chargers have to clear up something like 45 Million by cutting/restructuring contracts in less than 24 hours or the League Office will outright decline the trade on the basis on not meeting the financial side.

This obviously isn't going to happen so let's move on to the only possible way Justin gets traded, after June 1st. LA doesn't need to clear that Cap Space because his Dead Cap number would actually save them about 10 Million (after having paid him 70) on the Cap.

Could you for all intents and purposes engage in a NBA style trade that isn't completed for 5 weeks? Possibly, I think its largely without precedent though and the kicker is, the Chargers would have to spend 5 weeks explaining that they're going to build around McCarthy and admit that they're trading Herbert and that was the plan going in while the Spanos have to give Justin 70 Million to go away.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Why is anyone paying attention to Antonio Brown and his whack jobs?
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

greenyellow wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 pm Why is anyone paying attention to Antonio Brown and his whack jobs?
Kind of what I was thinking. Dude will say literally anything to stay relevant.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Antonio Brown should get 0 attention but somehow he does, I still don’t know how he isn’t in prison for sexual assault. Dude is really creepy.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 am Antonio Brown should get 0 attention but somehow he does, I still don’t know how he isn’t in prison for sexual assault. Dude is really creepy.
Same way Rothesburger never got into trouble for it. Famous and lots of money for great lawyers
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So the first pick of the new era is Joe Alt to presumably play RT. Not a sexy WR pick at #5 or a trade-down with a slew of extra picks but a chance to give Herbert book-end Tackles (along with hopefully a Center at some point) to help give him time and create an actual running game.

It was clear that the few trades that did happen were pretty sparse with compensation so its not a wonder they couldn't trade down. All of the OTs and QBs drafted means there are still a good number of potential WR1's to go after as well as JPJ being on the board.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am So the first pick of the new era is Joe Alt to presumably play RT. Not a sexy WR pick at #5 or a trade-down with a slew of extra picks but a chance to give Herbert book-end Tackles (along with hopefully a Center at some point) to help give him time and create an actual running game.

It was clear that the few trades that did happen were pretty sparse with compensation so its not a wonder they couldn't trade down. All of the OTs and QBs drafted means there are still a good number of potential WR1's to go after as well as JPJ being on the board.
Such a great point. Chargers pick 5th in round 2. I wonder if they would pick JPJ if he falls that far.