PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15149
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Yeah defense is a major issue for sure, Hampton ain’t cutting it, but offense to me is even worse. Offense is a disjointed mess.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
SuperDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 4651
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:29 am
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
I don't like the toss plays to the running backs. It leaves room for error when it's not necessary. Just hand the ball off and eliminate that risk.
I'm also concerned about both sides in the trenches. We have adequate talent to be good on the O-Line. There's no reason for us to be pushed around like that.
One team that Okie State's defense did remind me of yesterday...Indiana. They brought pressure up the middle, they brought it around both ends and they seriously slowed the run. We may see that more this year.
The defense is one of the most talented in the country, at least, on paper. How can that monster D-Line continue to get manhandled like this? I don't blame it all on Hampton. Again, I think it may have something to do with how Indiana had success against us.
I think not having Johnson available at TE had a major impact on the Ducks. They missed his pass catching, of course, but they missed his blocking more.
All they can do now is move forward and take things one game at a time.
A 10-2 or even a 9-3 Oregon team could still make the playoffs. Let's say the Ducks lost a second game somewhere along the way, as well as Ohio State, but beat Ohio State in the Big-12 championship game. Running the table the rest of the way and losing the Big-12 championship game would still probably get us on.
The good news is that we still control our own destiny. At least, for now.
I'm also concerned about both sides in the trenches. We have adequate talent to be good on the O-Line. There's no reason for us to be pushed around like that.
One team that Okie State's defense did remind me of yesterday...Indiana. They brought pressure up the middle, they brought it around both ends and they seriously slowed the run. We may see that more this year.
The defense is one of the most talented in the country, at least, on paper. How can that monster D-Line continue to get manhandled like this? I don't blame it all on Hampton. Again, I think it may have something to do with how Indiana had success against us.
I think not having Johnson available at TE had a major impact on the Ducks. They missed his pass catching, of course, but they missed his blocking more.
All they can do now is move forward and take things one game at a time.
A 10-2 or even a 9-3 Oregon team could still make the playoffs. Let's say the Ducks lost a second game somewhere along the way, as well as Ohio State, but beat Ohio State in the Big-12 championship game. Running the table the rest of the way and losing the Big-12 championship game would still probably get us on.
The good news is that we still control our own destiny. At least, for now.
John 3:36
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11006
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
I was willing to give Dan the benefit of the doubt. But Drew sucks He takes a half to figure out that we need to score to win games. Should have hired a 30 other guys instead of Drew. I’m hoping there is a way we can make a change or add a coach as a “consultant”, who can tell him what players to run. Ohio state made a change at DC mid year after we beat them. I’m thinking we will need to do the same. And if the D doesn’t figure its stuff out asap, it will be time for Lanning to hire a DC and let him run the D the way he wants.
-
hjpop
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 pm
- Location: Salem, OR
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
I'm reading all these fan sites and still can't really watch anything until after my surgery but I really hope that they don't lay an egg against Portland State. I don't want a win by 50, I want a win first and to fix issues that the coaches found in this week's practice. I am hoping it is just Lanning not opening the play book during OOC games and once B1G play starts, we pick up the tempo. If we can go into the heart of the schedule from October through end of November and improve, I will be happy.
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Also I remember hearing it's been a LONG time since a team won a championship with new coordinators. So even if Hampton and Mehringer are gonna be good coordinators, it was lofty expectations to think we would win a natty in both of their first year's at Oregon.
Not trying to make excuses, but we also want to be realistic. With that being said, the OK State game was one of the worst games in the last couple decades.
Not trying to make excuses, but we also want to be realistic. With that being said, the OK State game was one of the worst games in the last couple decades.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11006
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Drew was great yesterday. It’s Hampton who I’m down on. He needs to be better than Tosh.
And also for those crying about the season so far. After we play UCLA we will be the only team in america to have face 4 of 5 teams in the top 25.
And also for those crying about the season so far. After we play UCLA we will be the only team in america to have face 4 of 5 teams in the top 25.
-
bdkipe
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 527
- Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Defense played fine last night. USC is not without faults. Offense is not one of them. They were at home, with fans wanting blood, a damn good QB and elite skill players.
The only time they hurt us was when they went max protect or schemed up ways to mitigate our DLine, just like every other team we play.
Riley started the game taking his chances with 5-6 man protections and we saw what our DLine did.
The only time they hurt us was when they went max protect or schemed up ways to mitigate our DLine, just like every other team we play.
Riley started the game taking his chances with 5-6 man protections and we saw what our DLine did.
-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8648
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
I’ve been surprised to see people down on the defense after this game. They certainly aren’t playing up to the lofty preseason expectations (I doubt they will at any point this season) but I thought they played pretty well, all things considered.buckmarkduck wrote:Drew was great yesterday. It’s Hampton who I’m down on. He needs to be better than Tosh.
And also for those crying about the season so far. After we play UCLA we will be the only team in america to have face 4 of 5 teams in the top 25.
Something I really appreciate about this defense is their ability to make key stops. Something Tosh’s defenses were essentially incapable of. They would play great 95% of the game but in key moments it felt like a guarantee that we were going to give up the first down/touchdown, and always needed to offense to win the game.
Saturday was the opposite. We gave up a lot of stuff we probably shouldn’t have but made huge stops every time we needed one. Personally, I just prefer a clutch defense to a defense that looks good in the box score but folded at all the key moments in the game.

- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Ify's corner play was outstanding.bdkipe wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 8:20 pm Defense played fine last night. USC is not without faults. Offense is not one of them. They were at home, with fans wanting blood, a damn good QB and elite skill players.
The only time they hurt us was when they went max protect or schemed up ways to mitigate our DLine, just like every other team we play.
Riley started the game taking his chances with 5-6 man protections and we saw what our DLine did.
The most disappointing thing on our defense is how many times we let their running back slip away from us.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15149
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
That’s a good point about the 4th down stop, that was something we usually didn’t see, though before USC it wasn’t something we saw, the defense gave up crucial 4th downs against both Boise State and Okie State. Good to see them get that stop against a top offense in USC.dthomas=ddixon wrote:I’ve been surprised to see people down on the defense after this game. They certainly aren’t playing up to the lofty preseason expectations (I doubt they will at any point this season) but I thought they played pretty well, all things considered.buckmarkduck wrote:Drew was great yesterday. It’s Hampton who I’m down on. He needs to be better than Tosh.
And also for those crying about the season so far. After we play UCLA we will be the only team in america to have face 4 of 5 teams in the top 25.
Something I really appreciate about this defense is their ability to make key stops. Something Tosh’s defenses were essentially incapable of. They would play great 95% of the game but in key moments it felt like a guarantee that we were going to give up the first down/touchdown, and always needed to offense to win the game.
Saturday was the opposite. We gave up a lot of stuff we probably shouldn’t have but made huge stops every time we needed one. Personally, I just prefer a clutch defense to a defense that looks good in the box score but folded at all the key moments in the game.
I was also impressed with the offense after the 4th down stop. I was bummed the defense gave up 3 straight scoring drives, I had hoped for a bit more from them, but they got the 4th down stop and the offense turned that into 7 points. Before the season I said I wanted to see this team “step on the opponent’s throat” in these situations, essentially end it and not let it go last minute, and I felt that we saw it there. I feel like in that situation last year the offense would stall and fail a 4th down conversion leaving the door open for USC, but on Saturday when the offense had a chance to seal it, they took advantage of the opportunity.
That was easily the best coaching performance of the year for Oregon, I’m still skeptical of a few guys, mainly Michalowksi, Terry, and Hampton being BOTH DC and coaching safeties (wonder if we should’ve brought someone in to coach safeties), but I think after that performance the outlook of the Oregon coaching staff is much better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8648
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Our defense has the 3rd ranked 3rd down defense in the country (21%). We’re also much better at limiting TDs in the redzone (43.8% vs 72.2% in ‘25).OregonFan4Life wrote:That’s a good point about the 4th down stop, that was something we usually didn’t see, though before USC it wasn’t something we saw, the defense gave up crucial 4th downs against both Boise State and Okie State. Good to see them get that stop against a top offense in USC.dthomas=ddixon wrote:I’ve been surprised to see people down on the defense after this game. They certainly aren’t playing up to the lofty preseason expectations (I doubt they will at any point this season) but I thought they played pretty well, all things considered.buckmarkduck wrote:Drew was great yesterday. It’s Hampton who I’m down on. He needs to be better than Tosh.
And also for those crying about the season so far. After we play UCLA we will be the only team in america to have face 4 of 5 teams in the top 25.
Something I really appreciate about this defense is their ability to make key stops. Something Tosh’s defenses were essentially incapable of. They would play great 95% of the game but in key moments it felt like a guarantee that we were going to give up the first down/touchdown, and always needed to offense to win the game.
Saturday was the opposite. We gave up a lot of stuff we probably shouldn’t have but made huge stops every time we needed one. Personally, I just prefer a clutch defense to a defense that looks good in the box score but folded at all the key moments in the game.
I was also impressed with the offense after the 4th down stop. I was bummed the defense gave up 3 straight scoring drives, I had hoped for a bit more from them, but they got the 4th down stop and the offense turned that into 7 points. Before the season I said I wanted to see this team “step on the opponent’s throat” in these situations, essentially end it and not let it go last minute, and I felt that we saw it there. I feel like in that situation last year the offense would stall and fail a 4th down conversion leaving the door open for USC, but on Saturday when the offense had a chance to seal it, they took advantage of the opportunity.
That was easily the best coaching performance of the year for Oregon, I’m still skeptical of a few guys, mainly Michalowksi, Terry, and Hampton being BOTH DC and coaching safeties (wonder if we should’ve brought someone in to coach safeties), but I think after that performance the outlook of the Oregon coaching staff is much better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both are categories that Tosh’s defenses were generally pretty mediocre in.
I’d be interested to see someone chart our defensive aggression on 3rd down and in the red zone. Tosh was notoriously risk-averse, and it seems like that’s at least one area where Hampton is better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Phalanx
- Senior
- Posts: 4989
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
Yeah, I was thinking during the game it reminded me of Aliotti's 'Bend but don't break' defense. USC seemed to march down the field with ease, especially in the 2nd half, but then in the red zone the Oregon defense stiffened up. I keep hoping for a Georgia-like three-and-out defense to show up, but in the end this was just an old-fashioned Pac 12 game and USC got held to their fewest points so far this season at least.
- duckpoint
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 548
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 am
- Location: Idaho
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
I still cringe every time Aliotti's 'bend but don't break' defense is mentioned. I took to calling him Allow-a-Lotti, and in too many cases, all that was prevented was a win or a comfortable lead turned into a nail biter last possession type of game.
-
spacefrog13x
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 391
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 am
Re: PLEASE NO MEHRINGER LANNING!
We need starting NFL level LBs to make the 3 and out defense thing happen, imo.Phalanx wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:49 am Yeah, I was thinking during the game it reminded me of Aliotti's 'Bend but don't break' defense. USC seemed to march down the field with ease, especially in the 2nd half, but then in the red zone the Oregon defense stiffened up. I keep hoping for a Georgia-like three-and-out defense to show up, but in the end this was just an old-fashioned Pac 12 game and USC got held to their fewest points so far this season at least.
Not sure if thats going to happen until we get more aggressive with LB recruiting or actually the portal to find guys who can play at that level.