Ducks getting a visit from a big recruit

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Juice
Four Star Recruit

Re: Ducks getting a visit from a big recruit

Post by Juice »

woundedknees wrote:Nice parting shot by EK, don't you think?

A major part of the coaching job is actively recruiting new talent for the on-going betterment of the program. according to many reports, recruiting had been put on virtual hold since mid-late February... So much for the "You'll never find another guy who loves this place like I do" argument, eh?
How bout you come up with some links there
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Per John Hunt's Twitter, Jones said other players would have come with him to Oregon if the coaching situation had worked out better.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:Per John Hunt's Twitter, Jones said other players would have come with him to Oregon if the coaching situation had worked out better.
That hurts a little
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

greenyellow wrote:Per John Hunt's Twitter, Jones said other players would have come with him to Oregon if the coaching situation had worked out better.

Maybe Jones means that it took too long to get a coach, because did he really expect an Izzo or Dixon to come here?
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Can we stay on topic? There is another thread to discuss Jones

Looking at each program recruiting Polee

St. John's
+NYC
+Big East
+Historically solid
+Early playing time
-Lavin is a great recruiter, but an average coach
-Distance from home
-Poor facilities
Georgia
+College town
+Facilities are probably solid
+SEC
-Program hasn't been relevant in a while
-Distance from home
Oregon
+Arena/Facilities/Academic center
+Early playing time
+2 games a year in LA + Pac 10 tournament
+College town
+Distance from home
-Right now, at the bottom of the Pac 10
-Pac 10 does not get the exposure of the SEC & Big East
UNLV
+MW is a competitive conference
+Team consistently makes the tournament
+Very close to LA (4 1/2 hour drive)
-May not get a lot of playing time early
-Poor academics
-Commuter school/mediocre social life, despite being in Vegas
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm not all that excited about recruits like Polee and Loyd, but I guess getting them is better than not having no recruits at all and having no depth on the team.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I think Polee and Loyd would be solid recruits. They aren't Terrence Jones but they are very good players that could really help our program. Dunigan and Wilson were top recruits, they just haven't lived up to their potential yet.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:I think Polee and Loyd would be solid recruits. They aren't Terrence Jones but they are very good players that could really help our program. Dunigan and Wilson were top recruits, they just haven't lived up to their potential yet.
The thing with Polee is that it sounds like he needs at least a couple more years to develop into a solid player, which seems like just about every player Oregon ever gets. Oregon doesn't ever seem to get any freshman that can help all that much early on. The Lukes didn't do all that well as freshmen and neither did the Maarty, Bryce, and Malik group. With so many upperclassmen, hopefully any newer players won't feel as much pressure and can develop better.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

I have a friend who works at St Johns, according to him, Polee is taking the trip to make his dad happy, but he's all St Johns. I hope he's wrong, but we will find out in about 48 hours.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

greenyellow wrote:I'm not all that excited about recruits like Polee and Loyd, but I guess getting them is better than not having no recruits at all and having no depth on the team.
I think you may have had unrealistic expectations about Jones. Polee has the potential to be an excellent player, but he's going to take some time to develop. Polee is a good defender who could potentially be a lockdown defender (think Trevor Ariza). His ball handling skills are very good. I know everyone here just thinks that he's a dunker, but he has a pretty good midrange jumper and is a great finisher around the basket.

I would say that he's a mix between Trevor Ariza and Rudy Gay.

I've never actually seen Loyd play other than a few youtube clips. Nevertheless, he would be a solid pickup as he's very quick, a good distributor, and has nice midrange game from what I've read.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck92 wrote:I have a friend who works at St Johns, according to him, Polee is taking the trip to make his dad happy, but he's all St Johns. I hope he's wrong, but we will find out in about 48 hours.
I hope he's wrong too, but with it being so late in the recruiting game and not having a full staff, Oregon has an uphill climb to get him. Same thing with Loyd.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uostudent wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I'm not all that excited about recruits like Polee and Loyd, but I guess getting them is better than not having no recruits at all and having no depth on the team.
I think you may have had unrealistic expectations about Jones. Polee has the potential to be an excellent player, but he's going to take some time to develop. Polee is a good defender who could potentially be a lockdown defender (think Trevor Ariza). His ball handling skills are very good. I know everyone here just thinks that he's a dunker, but he has a pretty good midrange jumper and is a great finisher around the basket.

I would say that he's a mix between Trevor Ariza and Rudy Gay.

I've never actually seen Loyd play other than a few youtube clips. Nevertheless, he would be a solid pickup as he's very quick, a good distributor, and has nice midrange game from what I've read.
Polee is not going to do too much his FR year and doesn't provide much help in the post. Jones can play multiple spots, help down low, and create his own shot, which is sorely lacking in a lot of players on the current team. The team already has so many players that are similar to him and would just blend in with the rest of them.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

duck92 wrote:I have a friend who works at St Johns, according to him, Polee is taking the trip to make his dad happy, but he's all St Johns. I hope he's wrong, but we will find out in about 48 hours.
From what I heard from a friend who played with him, he was going to pick St. John's but decided to take a trip to Oregon when they hired a coach since he had one visit left. He is probably still leaning towards St. John's, but this could change very quickly after his Oregon trip...
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!