Page 9 of 10
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:45 pm
by Phalanx
ducks5ever wrote:I didn't watch the USC Gonzaga game (or any Gonzaga games this year). You all think we could've had a shot against Gonzaga?
Hopefully the Pac-12 will be less of an afterthought once we get a new Pac-12 commissioner......
I didn't watch any either until the last two games. Man, they just play on another level. They are like some supercharged version of the old Princeton offense. Everyone is in the right spot, taking all the right angles, and it all ends up in a lay-up or kicked out for a nice, easy three point attempt. They way they run it, it looks like they are barely raising a sweat - like Neo fighting Agent Smith with one hand in the final scene of the Matrix. The other teams struggle to put up bad shots, and Gonzaga gets a good shot almost every time. So of course, they are going to eventually build a lead, and they just never let up. I don't think Oregon would have a prayer, to be honest. Unless they just all started hitting threes like they were doing vs. Iowa for awhile.
I don't know if Altman would ever be able to create a system like that, but for certain it would require most of the team to come in as freshmen and develop a few years. Watching them just makes one wish that the Ducks could get a proper pipeline going like Mark Few has.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:59 am
by Alan
ducks5ever wrote:I didn't watch the USC Gonzaga game (or any Gonzaga games this year). You all think we could've had a shot against Gonzaga?
Hopefully the Pac-12 will be less of an afterthought once we get a new Pac-12 commissioner......
I watched their last three games, I doubt anyone has a chance against them. They can hit from anywhere on the court and their big man is very good and mobile with great passing..... he is a show boat, which seems to annoy me, lol.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am
by OregonFan4Life
ducks5ever wrote:I didn't watch the USC Gonzaga game (or any Gonzaga games this year). You all think we could've had a shot against Gonzaga?
Hopefully the Pac-12 will be less of an afterthought once we get a new Pac-12 commissioner......
No, Oregon would've gotten obliterated and Timme would've had 40 points. What Mark Few has done this season is amazing. There are no weak spots with Gonzaga, maybe perimeter height, but their team play is remarkable. Arguably the best team defense I've seen in years, which really makes up for their lack of perimeter height. They have a system and every single player knows his role and the system to perfection. Mark Few is by far the coach of the year and I can't think of the last time a coach has done as impressive of a job as he's done this year. I was just shocked at how Gonzaga absolutely shredded USC on both sides of the floor, it wasn't like USC played bad or shoot poorly, they just could not handle the team play and speed of Gonzaga. I'm still blown away from how good Gonzaga was last night.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 am
by StevensTechU
I actually think Oregon would have as good a shot at beating Gonzaga as anyone not named Baylor. I think Omoruyi matches up with Timme much better than he did/does against Evan Mobley, and our ability to get to the rim would have been much better against the Zags than against the twin towers of USC. I don't know if we win more than 2 out of 10 against Gonzaga, but I like the style matchup for the Ducks.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 am
by ducks5ever
Thanks guys, maybe I'll try to check out the championship game just for some casual sports fun!
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:33 am
by OregonFan4Life
StevensTechU wrote:I actually think Oregon would have as good a shot at beating Gonzaga as anyone not named Baylor. I think Omoruyi matches up with Timme much better than he did/does against Evan Mobley, and our ability to get to the rim would have been much better against the Zags than against the twin towers of USC. I don't know if we win more than 2 out of 10 against Gonzaga, but I like the style matchup for the Ducks.
Eh, I disagree, I bet Timme would get Omoruyi in foul trouble quickly. From an athletic perspective, Oregon matches pretty well with Gonzaga, but I can't imagine the Oregon guards being able to keep up with the style of play and chemistry Gonzaga has. It's not like Gonzaga is the most talented team in years, but they are the best TEAM I've seen in college basketball in quite a while.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:10 pm
by RanDux
OregonFan4Life wrote:StevensTechU wrote:I actually think Oregon would have as good a shot at beating Gonzaga as anyone not named Baylor. I think Omoruyi matches up with Timme much better than he did/does against Evan Mobley, and our ability to get to the rim would have been much better against the Zags than against the twin towers of USC. I don't know if we win more than 2 out of 10 against Gonzaga, but I like the style matchup for the Ducks.
Eh, I disagree, I bet Timme would get Omoruyi in foul trouble quickly. From an athletic perspective, Oregon matches pretty well with Gonzaga, but I can't imagine the Oregon guards being able to keep up with the style of play and chemistry Gonzaga has. It's not like Gonzaga is the most talented team in years, but they are the best TEAM I've seen in college basketball in quite a while.
This year's Gonzaga team kind of reminds me of the Wooden era at UCLA. No one will ever match what they did long term, but Gonzaga has so far come close for one year.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 pm
by Alan
RanDux wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:StevensTechU wrote:I actually think Oregon would have as good a shot at beating Gonzaga as anyone not named Baylor. I think Omoruyi matches up with Timme much better than he did/does against Evan Mobley, and our ability to get to the rim would have been much better against the Zags than against the twin towers of USC. I don't know if we win more than 2 out of 10 against Gonzaga, but I like the style matchup for the Ducks.
Eh, I disagree, I bet Timme would get Omoruyi in foul trouble quickly. From an athletic perspective, Oregon matches pretty well with Gonzaga, but I can't imagine the Oregon guards being able to keep up with the style of play and chemistry Gonzaga has. It's not like Gonzaga is the most talented team in years, but they are the best TEAM I've seen in college basketball in quite a while.
This year's Gonzaga team kind of reminds me of the Wooden era at UCLA. No one will ever match what they did long term, but Gonzaga has so far come close for one year.
I agree, between Suggs and Timme these guys are probably unstoppable
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm
by greenyellow
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm
by Alan
Incredible finish!
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 pm
by OregonFan4Life
I feel bad for UCLA! Sucky way to go out, especially as an 11 seed.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm
by ducks5ever
Looks like Baylor dominated. Hard to root for Gonzaga after hearing about Mark Few's comments regarding Oregon from a decade ago... maybe I'm jealous but still
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:12 pm
by mattc94
Gonzaga just can't get it done.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:03 pm
by Bighonkingduck
They are like Boise St was in football. Play a couple of good teams out of conference and then never get challenged in league. Eventually it catches up with you when you play a couple of tough teams. They need to play in a better league and get challenged week in and week out. If they played in a league like the PAC they would lose a couple during the year but be better prepared for the tourney. This final was never close.
Re: 2021 NCAA Tourney Thread
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:37 pm
by OregonFan4Life
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Suggs drop in the NBA mock drafts after tonight, he didn’t look good and he couldn’t handle Baylor’s athleticism. I thought Baylor was superior physically but Gonzaga’s team play and smarts would prevail in a close game, I had no idea just how dominant Baylor was from a talent/physical perspective. It looked like a D1 team vs a college team simply in terms of athletic abilities and strength, Baylor was far too strong and athletic for Gonzaga to even keep it close at any point in the game.