Re: Dream Finish
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am
Nope--DmoneyDuck wrote:ANY chance on landing even a visit from Domani Jackson?
Oregon Ducks Sports Message Board Forum
https://ducksattack.com/forum/
Nope--DmoneyDuck wrote:ANY chance on landing even a visit from Domani Jackson?
I feel its more of a case we don't have a reliable passing QB rather than new identity/persona, so they have to tweak the playbook. Nonetheless, we will lose talented WR recruits and current players.UofDuck wrote:As Captain Obvious…I feel that our team’s newer persona (90% run based) is going to end up costing us WR talent. It’s a trade off as some wickedly talented RBs might take note. The flip side is we’ve seen some WR decommitments already. Some talk of kids bailing via the portal and I suspect most incoming big time WR talent will look elsewhere.
I agree, and I'd think MC would be able to sell this pretty easily to recruits. Anyone watching can see that AB's running is lethal but that he can't reliably throw beyond 10 yards downfield.I feel its more of a case we don't have a reliable passing QB rather than new identity/persona, so they have to tweak the playbook. Nonetheless, we will lose talented WR recruits and current players.
the world is ending! JB is an indication of the future! Arroyo is coming back!UofDuck wrote:As Captain Obvious…I feel that our team’s newer persona (90% run based) is going to end up costing us WR talent. It’s a trade off as some wickedly talented RBs might take note. The flip side is we’ve seen some WR decommitments already. Some talk of kids bailing via the portal and I suspect most incoming big time WR talent will look elsewhere.
Quit being an condescending A-Hole. I never said the world was ending. But if you can’t see the effect already, you’re blind. And Mario already had a penchant for building Oregon into an old school SEC running between the tackles program. This year typifies that. He’s playing a QB who can’t throw well but can run when we have two of the highest rated QB recruits in the history of the school (its true, look them up) riding the pine. But go ahead and stick your head in the sand and ignore the implications of this approach.jimmy12 wrote:the world is ending! JB is an indication of the future! Arroyo is coming back!UofDuck wrote:As Captain Obvious…I feel that our team’s newer persona (90% run based) is going to end up costing us WR talent. It’s a trade off as some wickedly talented RBs might take note. The flip side is we’ve seen some WR decommitments already. Some talk of kids bailing via the portal and I suspect most incoming big time WR talent will look elsewhere.
Good lord. Relax. We have a QB this year that is a game manager and not very good at throwing beyond 15 yards. Sooooooo, we are playing to his strengths. FYI-- we have also had to virtually remove the read-option etc. That does not mean we won't run that again. I promise you, we will.
Coach Joe is playing to the strengths of his QB rather than force it for the sake of fans not panicking.
hahahahahahahaahah-- Ok Nothing I said should offend you other than I disagreed. You took it down a level.UofDuck wrote:Quit being an condescending A-Hole. I never said the world was ending. But if you can’t see the effect already, you’re blind. And Mario already had a penchant for building Oregon into an old school SEC running between the tackles program. This year typifies that. He’s playing a QB who can’t throw well but can run when we have two of the highest rated QB recruits in the history of the school (its true, look them up) riding the pine. But go ahead and stick your head in the sand and ignore the implications of this approach.jimmy12 wrote:the world is ending! JB is an indication of the future! Arroyo is coming back!UofDuck wrote:As Captain Obvious…I feel that our team’s newer persona (90% run based) is going to end up costing us WR talent. It’s a trade off as some wickedly talented RBs might take note. The flip side is we’ve seen some WR decommitments already. Some talk of kids bailing via the portal and I suspect most incoming big time WR talent will look elsewhere.
Good lord. Relax. We have a QB this year that is a game manager and not very good at throwing beyond 15 yards. Sooooooo, we are playing to his strengths. FYI-- we have also had to virtually remove the read-option etc. That does not mean we won't run that again. I promise you, we will.
Coach Joe is playing to the strengths of his QB rather than force it for the sake of fans not panicking.
Meh, you were a little condescending, and he's not wrong. Everyone knows MC is big on building a stout o-line, and he's shown a history of trying to run between the tackles, even with shiftier backs that would be better suited to running outside, or taking screens. He never utilized Herbert properly, and you can't completely blame poor wide receiver play on that. Other teams have done more with less. He's doing what he can with what he has this season. Next year I'll make my real judgement on how he evolves the offense.jimmy12 wrote:hahahahahahahaahah-- Ok Nothing I said should offend you other than I disagreed. You took it down a level.UofDuck wrote:Quit being an condescending A-Hole. I never said the world was ending. But if you can’t see the effect already, you’re blind. And Mario already had a penchant for building Oregon into an old school SEC running between the tackles program. This year typifies that. He’s playing a QB who can’t throw well but can run when we have two of the highest rated QB recruits in the history of the school (its true, look them up) riding the pine. But go ahead and stick your head in the sand and ignore the implications of this approach.jimmy12 wrote:the world is ending! JB is an indication of the future! Arroyo is coming back!UofDuck wrote:As Captain Obvious…I feel that our team’s newer persona (90% run based) is going to end up costing us WR talent. It’s a trade off as some wickedly talented RBs might take note. The flip side is we’ve seen some WR decommitments already. Some talk of kids bailing via the portal and I suspect most incoming big time WR talent will look elsewhere.
Good lord. Relax. We have a QB this year that is a game manager and not very good at throwing beyond 15 yards. Sooooooo, we are playing to his strengths. FYI-- we have also had to virtually remove the read-option etc. That does not mean we won't run that again. I promise you, we will.
Coach Joe is playing to the strengths of his QB rather than force it for the sake of fans not panicking.
The thing is, for me, this was supposed to be a season in which we saw development out of the QBs. Brown was supposed to have a full off-season along with Butterfield and Ashford while Thompson came in highly regarded in the spring.squintsdd wrote: Everyone knows MC is big on building a stout o-line, and he's shown a history of trying to run between the tackles, even with shiftier backs that would be better suited to running outside, or taking screens. He never utilized Herbert properly, and you can't completely blame poor wide receiver play on that. Other teams have done more with less. He's doing what he can with what he has this season. Next year I'll make my real judgement on how he evolves the offense.
So last year I disagreed with you on Sam Vidlak since it looked then like we certainly wanted the QB to be a runner and that isn't his skill.StevensTechU wrote:^I think they just got the wrong QBs. Ashford couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in high school. Butterfield is a bad fit for a system that wants to run QBs. Thompson is basically AB but younger with his inaccuracy and lack of reading the field.
Thompson could still be good. He just wasn't ready on day 1, and might not be on day 366 to compete against Georgia next season. They need to fix recruiting the position, first and foremost, because in my opinion Tanner Bailey is definitely not going to be the solution, either.
Looks like Montiel visited Oregon this past weekend. Don't know anything about him, but a buddy of mine coaches at Marshfield. Gonna have to see if there's legit interest or if it's just a random unofficial for a local prospect.Duck07 wrote:So last year I disagreed with you on Sam Vidlak since it looked then like we certainly wanted the QB to be a runner and that isn't his skill.StevensTechU wrote:^I think they just got the wrong QBs. Ashford couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in high school. Butterfield is a bad fit for a system that wants to run QBs. Thompson is basically AB but younger with his inaccuracy and lack of reading the field.
Thompson could still be good. He just wasn't ready on day 1, and might not be on day 366 to compete against Georgia next season. They need to fix recruiting the position, first and foremost, because in my opinion Tanner Bailey is definitely not going to be the solution, either.
Have you seen Dom Montiel out of Marshfield? Seems a much more natural fit for what we want (and he's already used to throwing to giant WRs) and while he visited Corvallis last week I don't see him as a good fit there.
Brown moving from goal-line/short-yardage only to full time QB counts as development in my book. Might not be the development you want but it's still development.Duck07 wrote: The thing is, for me, this was supposed to be a season in which we saw development out of the QBs. Brown was supposed to have a full off-season along with Butterfield and Ashford while Thompson came in highly regarded in the spring.
That there has been seemingly ZERO development from the QBs has me with serious questions right now, even if I can still applaud our current record and other parts of the program. Its clear as day that you have to have quality play from your QB to win it all and the inability to develop them is a serious problem.
Sure teams will negative recruit us for this, but I don't think that strategy works as well as the people who use it think it does.
Moorhead is calling the plays, unless it's a play that the fans don't like, in which case obviously Cristobal stepped in and called it. You don't get an OC as accomplished as Moorhead and have him take a backseat in play calling to a less accomplished OC. Cristobal undoubtedly has a hand in overall philosophy, but there is zero doubt Moorhead is the actual playcaller.ducks5ever wrote:Brown moving from goal-line/short-yardage only to full time QB counts as development in my book. Might not be the development you want but it's still development.Duck07 wrote: The thing is, for me, this was supposed to be a season in which we saw development out of the QBs. Brown was supposed to have a full off-season along with Butterfield and Ashford while Thompson came in highly regarded in the spring.
That there has been seemingly ZERO development from the QBs has me with serious questions right now, even if I can still applaud our current record and other parts of the program. Its clear as day that you have to have quality play from your QB to win it all and the inability to develop them is a serious problem.
Sure teams will negative recruit us for this, but I don't think that strategy works as well as the people who use it think it does.
Also I'm not exactly sure why people want to put the offense on CMC. While he can tell Moorehead that he wants run heavy, I'm pretty sure it's Moorehead who does most of the leg work behind the offense? It's the age old question of who is actually calling plays between CMC and the OC and I don't think anyone has ever definitively answered that around here.
Fwiw, I don't think anyone would ever hire CMC as an OC if he completely flopped as a HC somewhere.
Also run heavy will probably cost us some WR talent but as the past couple of games have shown, you can absolutely win games that way. We just need more Cardwells, and better ball security. Here's a photo of Brown scrambling on his TD run. That ball is just asking to get punched out from behind.
[image=]https://imgur.com/a/xMwXGoi[/image]