Notre Dame . . .

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by Greenblood »

I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
User avatar
Bud Lee
All Pac-12
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Da Boot

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by Bud Lee »

Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was still sucking a bottle in '81 by the way
duck55
Senior
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Keizer OR

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by duck55 »

Bud Lee wrote:
Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was still sucking a bottle in '81 by the way
There are quite a few who were around in '81 that are still sucking the bottle.
Greenblood
Senior
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by Greenblood »

So the Irish have passed another test -- barely. Argh. They still have to play OU at Norman (in two weeks) and USC in LA. I sure hope that the Sooners' demolition of Texas is indicative of how good the Sooners are now.
karlhungis
All Pac-12
Posts: 7990
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by karlhungis »

Greenblood wrote:So the Irish have passed another test -- barely. Argh. They still have to play OU at Norman (in two weeks) and USC in LA. I sure hope that the Sooners' demolition of Texas is indicative of how good the Sooners are now.
I don't see any reason to believe that USC is better than ND. I think OU has shown enough to believe that they can beat ND but I am not counting on USC. Go sooners.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Braveheart
Sophomore
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 am

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by Braveheart »

Greenblood wrote:So the Irish have passed another test -- barely. Argh. They still have to play OU at Norman (in two weeks) and USC in LA. I sure hope that the Sooners' demolition of Texas is indicative of how good the Sooners are now.
I dunno. Only team OU has faced with a good defense....KSU.
Image
User avatar
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Hockinson, WA

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by AutzenMember »

Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.

Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.

The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
ducksrock
Senior
Posts: 2729
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:08 am

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by ducksrock »

AutzenMember wrote:
Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.

Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.

The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
The Luck of the Irish????? Ask Stanford about that concept.....
Greenblood
Senior
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by Greenblood »

AutzenMember wrote:
Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.

Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.

The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
Actually that 1982 game ended up 13-13 (http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... EASON=1982). It sounds to me that you're getting some details from the USC 7-7 tie at Autzen in 1980 -- a vastly superior Duck team -- mixed up with the 1982 ND game. I remember a USC receiver being the beneficiary of a dubious back-of-the-endzone TD in that 1980 USC game, and the terrible missed opportunity of (I believe) Duck RB Reggie Brown fumbling into the endzone for a touchback.
User avatar
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Hockinson, WA

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Post by AutzenMember »

Greenblood wrote:
AutzenMember wrote:
Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.

Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.

The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
Actually that 1982 game ended up 13-13 (http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... EASON=1982). It sounds to me that you're getting some details from the USC 7-7 tie at Autzen in 1980 -- a vastly superior Duck team -- mixed up with the 1982 ND game. I remember a USC receiver being the beneficiary of a dubious back-of-the-endzone TD in that 1980 USC game, and the terrible missed opportunity of (I believe) Duck RB Reggie Brown fumbling into the endzone for a touchback.
Correct on both...the picture I have shows 13-10 Oregon. And, I am mixing up the games. ND scored on a run, whereas the USC TD was the pass that was out of the end zone, and the fumble too. Oregon missed two FGs in the ND game that could've been the difference. Getting old is definitely affecting my memory!
Post Reply