Page 2 of 2

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:54 pm
by Duck07
dd10snoop28 wrote:
duckpoint wrote:I agree with The Dude, his left elbow was down prior to the ball crossing the plane. Stanford put their chance of winning on the backs of their OL. It was not even close without an extraordinary effort by Taylor.
Impossible to see. The guy in front of him is blocking the camera's view. Should have been ruled a TD.
Exactly why you cannot overturn the call, even if there is an obscure rule that would allow the refs to ignore the fact that they had blown the play dead prior to the ball crossing the line.

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 pm
by dd10snoop28
Duck07 wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:
duckpoint wrote:I agree with The Dude, his left elbow was down prior to the ball crossing the plane. Stanford put their chance of winning on the backs of their OL. It was not even close without an extraordinary effort by Taylor.
Impossible to see. The guy in front of him is blocking the camera's view. Should have been ruled a TD.
Exactly why you cannot overturn the call, even if there is an obscure rule that would allow the refs to ignore the fact that they had blown the play dead prior to the ball crossing the line.
But the call on the field wasn't him being down at the 1-inch line.... the call was that they had blown the play dead too early. I'm confident that the refs would have still ruled it a touchdown if they had the chance. In the replay you see the ball crossing the goal-line and no body part that makes you "down" touching the ground. Sure the ND guy has his leg in the way, but refs usually rule by what they see, not the lack thereof.

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 pm
by Duck07
dd10snoop28 wrote: But the call on the field wasn't him being down at the 1-inch line.... the call was that they had blown the play dead too early. I'm confident that the refs would have still ruled it a touchdown if they had the chance. In the replay you see the ball crossing the goal-line and no body part that makes you "down" touching the ground. Sure the ND guy has his leg in the way, but refs usually rule by what they see, not the lack thereof.
Either way you look at it, you cannot end up with a ND td. If you call the play dead prior to the end zone, you can't give him forward progress after the whistle so ND wins. If you say that the ruling on the field was that the runner was down prior to crossing, then upon review there was not conclusive evidence that his elbow did NOT touch the ground.

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 am
by squintsdd
Looked like he crossed the goal line on second down anyway, should've never gotten to 4th down. IMO Stanford deserves credit for 2 touchdowns

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 am
by vagusnerve
The whole things just crazy. Hard to believe that Notre Dame is relevant again, and then for them to get all this advantage from the refs, wow, just makes my blood boil. If I were Shaw, I would go to the top with this one. It's an absolute travesty.

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 am
by karlhungis
vagusnerve wrote:The whole things just crazy. Hard to believe that Notre Dame is relevant again, and then for them to get all this advantage from the refs, wow, just makes my blood boil. If I were Shaw, I would go to the top with this one. It's an absolute travesty.
It was a borderline call that could have gone either way. I hate Notre Dame as much as the next guy and it looked like forward progress was stopped to me.

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:02 am
by Duck24
It shouldn't have even come to putting the game on the refs. That was horrendous play calling by David Shaw. I understand that they are a smash mouth team and are trying to play to their strength but the EXACT SAME CALL twice in a row from the half inch line? Call a QB sneak or run away from the Center-Guard gap, where Notre Dame is putting literally 7 guys. I think the refs blew the call on the field but it was one of those calls where whatever was called on the field was going to be upheld. Now we can just hope that Oklahoma and USC knock Notre Dame off because I think that they are a lock for the Natty if they end the season undefeated.

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:49 pm
by ducksrock
Duck24 wrote:It shouldn't have even come to putting the game on the refs. That was horrendous play calling by David Shaw. I understand that they are a smash mouth team and are trying to play to their strength but the EXACT SAME CALL twice in a row from the half inch line? Call a QB sneak or run away from the Center-Guard gap, where Notre Dame is putting literally 7 guys. I think the refs blew the call on the field but it was one of those calls where whatever was called on the field was going to be upheld. Now we can just hope that Oklahoma and USC knock Notre Dame off because I think that they are a lock for the Natty if they end the season undefeated.
Yeah, if the Domers run the table, I would agree they are in the Natty....Still alot of serious football for them to play though....

Re: #17 Stanford @ #7 Notre Dame

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 am
by UOducksTK1
Looked like a touchdown from me, but what do I know after watching the Packers/Seahawks game.

Packers are still 4-2 in my books.