Page 2 of 2

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm
by duck55
[quote="AutzenMember" If you added a loss to even three of the five top SEC teams, the rankings would not be so skewed with SEC teams and ultimately, could have cost a participant or two in the NCG game during this 7 year stretch. You can't win the NC if you're not playing in it, so getting the opportunity is half the battle (100% of the battle if you're talking about last year and this yearlol.) No arguments here that the SEC is using the system much better than the other conferences. It's up to the other conferences to get with the program and not just cry about it.[/quote]
Fixed it for you

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 pm
by AutzenMember
duck55 wrote:[quote="AutzenMember" If you added a loss to even three of the five top SEC teams, the rankings would not be so skewed with SEC teams and ultimately, could have cost a participant or two in the NCG game during this 7 year stretch. You can't win the NC if you're not playing in it, so getting the opportunity is half the battle (100% of the battle if you're talking about last year and this yearlol.) No arguments here that the SEC is using the system much better than the other conferences. It's up to the other conferences to get with the program and not just cry about it.

Fixed it for you
I guess I was a bit vague...I was referring to the conference's ability to earn a championship (and thus the SEC) in this post. So last year, for the SEC to get both teams in was 100% of the battle, and guaranteed an SEC championship.

EDIT: Ahhhhh...I see what you did...just getting there against a farce like ND became 100% of the battle. I can be so dense. My apologies.

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 am
by QuackininBama
While I respect the SEC and do actually believe, pound for pound they are the best conference in the nation, I also am aware that the SEC/voters are a "self fulfilling prophecy". Barring a complete meltdown(see LSU, sorry Bud), the SEC pads their schedule with teams that for the most part, have next to no chance to win, the SEC teams run the table with a loss here and there, and the voters keep them all at the top thus insuring they fill the majority of slots in biggest games, and consistently have at least ONE team in the national Championship game.

Take this year for example. All these one loss teams and it was a consensus that Alabama was going. Why? Why is that a consensus? No one even considered Oregon or KState. It wasn't even an option. And I think both would have beat Notre Dame. And that's a huge problem with the system anyway. They are basically forced to send Notre Dame even though 70% of the country knew both Oregon and KState were better teams then the Irish, so that only left one slot and of course they will send the SEC. If you give the same conference the best chance to win every single year, it really isn't that shocking that that conference wins it every single year. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 am
by Bud Lee
Barring a complete meltdown(see LSU, sorry Bud)
The lost still hurts :( , which is probably why I was keeping hope that the Irish would beat them.
And that's a huge problem with the system anyway. They are basically forced to send Notre Dame even though 70% of the country knew both Oregon and KState were better teams then the Irish, so that only left one slot and of course they will send the SEC.
And see that is my problem with the system...a undefeated team is not necessarily the best team in the nation. After watching Alabama play every week, there is no way they did not deserve to be in that game, and it is a crying shame that 1 loss would bump them out and the Irish in if another team went without losing. With that said it is also a shame that we didn't see Oregon or Kansas State in that game against them. I think way too much credit is given to stats and a win loss record and not what actually happens on the field.

If you go by just what happens on the field the Top four teams in the Nation this year should of been Bama, Oregon, Texas A&M and Kansas State. The problem is even with the playoffs in 2014 the Irish would of bumped out one of those teams because of that "0" after "12" and even more that that another one of those teams would of likely been knocked out for Louisville as a conference champ. Not sure I really have a point...just ranting.

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am
by AutzenMember
Bud Lee wrote:
Barring a complete meltdown(see LSU, sorry Bud)
The lost still hurts :( , which is probably why I was keeping hope that the Irish would beat them.
And that's a huge problem with the system anyway. They are basically forced to send Notre Dame even though 70% of the country knew both Oregon and KState were better teams then the Irish, so that only left one slot and of course they will send the SEC.
And see that is my problem with the system...a undefeated team is not necessarily the best team in the nation. After watching Alabama play every week, there is no way they did not deserve to be in that game, and it is a crying shame that 1 loss would bump them out and the Irish in if another team went without losing. With that said it is also a shame that we didn't see Oregon or Kansas State in that game against them. I think way too much credit is given to stats and a win loss record and not what actually happens on the field.

If you go by just what happens on the field the Top four teams in the Nation this year should of been Bama, Oregon, Texas A&M and Kansas State. The problem is even with the playoffs in 2014 the Irish would of bumped out one of those teams because of that "0" after "12" and even more that that another one of those teams would of likely been knocked out for Louisville as a conference champ. Not sure I really have a point...just ranting.
Forgive me if I'm reading into your rant, but I gather that your point is that while we are getting a "playoff", the real issue of fixing the system is not anywhere close to being addressed.

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm
by Bud Lee
AutzenMember wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:
Barring a complete meltdown(see LSU, sorry Bud)
The lost still hurts :( , which is probably why I was keeping hope that the Irish would beat them.
And that's a huge problem with the system anyway. They are basically forced to send Notre Dame even though 70% of the country knew both Oregon and KState were better teams then the Irish, so that only left one slot and of course they will send the SEC.
And see that is my problem with the system...a undefeated team is not necessarily the best team in the nation. After watching Alabama play every week, there is no way they did not deserve to be in that game, and it is a crying shame that 1 loss would bump them out and the Irish in if another team went without losing. With that said it is also a shame that we didn't see Oregon or Kansas State in that game against them. I think way too much credit is given to stats and a win loss record and not what actually happens on the field.

If you go by just what happens on the field the Top four teams in the Nation this year should of been Bama, Oregon, Texas A&M and Kansas State. The problem is even with the playoffs in 2014 the Irish would of bumped out one of those teams because of that "0" after "12" and even more that that another one of those teams would of likely been knocked out for Louisville as a conference champ. Not sure I really have a point...just ranting.
Forgive me if I'm reading into your rant, but I gather that your point is that while we are getting a "playoff", the real issue of fixing the system is not anywhere close to being addressed.
Correct, because all we are really doing here (from what I understand) is adding a plus one game. There are still going to be a automatic qualifiers from the big conferences, and they are still using the poll system to help select the schools that get in, and the field is too small.

I think it is a good step in the right direction, just like the BCS was a good step in the right direction moving from the "poll era" I just wanted and expected more. Like maybe making all conferences have a championship game (though I think we are almost there anyway) , making all the conferences rules when it comes to scheduling line up to create a even playing field, hell maybe even going ahead and making a 8 team playoff. Which that last thing is going to happen sooner than later once the powers that be see how much money it is in the playoff system in my opinion

By the way I hear that the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl will host the first two qualifying games for the championship in '14.

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm
by USUaggieDuck
I like how you randomly threw vandy umass in there

Posted from my Android

Re: 2013 SEC Schedule

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 am
by Greydrake
I agree in that an 8 team playoff will come within the next 10 years. There are too many schools that will feel slighted by the polling system. Reality pretty much dictates that 2 of the current 4 slots will be SEC occupied, they have a good justification on that by their dominance of late. That leaves 2 slots for the rest of the nation.

Championship games have meaning only if there is something at risk... so giving the six BSC qualifiers automatic berths with 2 at large berths lessens the ire... but even under that format the Ducks would not have qualified. SEC would have taken one slot, ND the other... the Ducks would have been left out in the cold.

Give 20 years maybe we will see a 16 team playoff...