Page 2 of 9

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:52 pm
by ducksrock
The correct move....Made in the correct amount of time..Very Good...I am now once again proud of our entire organization...
We are better than as demonstrated last night..The last thing that we needed was to follow the examples of the Jail Blazers..
And justice has been served..
Time to move on and make the best of the season....
GOOOOOO Ducks....

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:57 pm
by lukeyrid13
Too harsh IMO. A Miami player took off his helmet and beat another player with it while another teammate spiked and stomped on the other teams players. They got 2 and 4 games respectively. The Boise guy's punishment is a 'meeting' with his coach. Total BS iyam. He didn't just talk but instigated physical contact

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 pm
by EncinitasDuck
Ok, the school took care of business and I think its justified. If this were his first transgression then maybe 4-5 games would have been enough, but let's all agree that this guy has been trouble for a while and it goes beyond missing some workouts from what I've heard from kids on campus. I think he would have had a polarizing effect on the team if they had allowed him to stay as I'm sure he has some close friends on the team. The last thing this team needs right now is a cancer in the locker room.

I see this bringing the team together and making it stronger. No disctractions necessary.

Go Ducks!

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:04 pm
by woundedknees
IMO, comparing Oregon's decision to how a program known for thuggish behavior deals with issues shouldn't enter into the converation.

Blount will need to use that scholarship to try and ensure himself a future... I doubt the CFL or USFL will give him a chance, and the NFL seems to be completely out.

I wonder if there is the possibility of a transfer to a DII/FCS school?

Pitiful lack of self control.

Sad to think that all that talent and sheer love of the game which was apparent last season will not be the lasting impression Duck fans carry into the future.

I wonder if there is the possibility of a transfer to a FCS school?

Good luck, young man. You are going to need it.

On another note... This action by the University will most likely put a very positive spin on recruiting in some homes. Families for whom discipline and accountability are important should appreciate how the Ducks dealt with this.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 pm
by Autzenoise
lukeyrid13 wrote:Too harsh IMO. A Miami player took off his helmet and beat another player with it while another teammate spiked and stomped on the other teams players. They got 2 and 4 games respectively. The Boise guy's punishment is a 'meeting' with his coach. Total BS iyam. He didn't just talk but instigated physical contact
And thankfully this keeps us from being grouped with colleges like Miami for poor decisions like only giving a kid 2 games for something like that....If you want your Ducks to be the best by allowing behavior like this, than you are not the kind of fan that I personally am proud of. Apologize if that sounds like a personal attack, but I feel very strongly about the fact that these kids learn from these years alot about how to be a good person, along with how to play football. The first is much more important in my mind.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:11 pm
by MFRDuckFan
woundedknees wrote:IMO, comparing Oregon's decision to how a program known for thuggish behavior deals with issues shouldn't enter into the converation.

Blount will need to use that scholarship to try and ensure himself a future... I doubt the CFL or USFL will give him a chance, and the NFL seems to be completely out.

I wonder if there is the possibility of a transfer to a DII/FCS school?

Pitiful lack of self control.

Sad to think that all that talent and sheer love of the game which was apparent last season will not be the lasting impression Duck fans carry into the future.

I wonder if there is the possibility of a transfer to a FCS school?

Good luck, young man. You are going to need it.

On another note... This action by the University will most likely put a very positive spin on recruiting in some homes. Families for whom discipline and accountability are important should appreciate how the Ducks dealt with this.
What the university did was give Blount that chance for the NFL. By keeping his scholly, he gets to use all of the facilities and still be part of the team, but just no games. I think the punishment is a bit harsh, but it is what it is. He needs to stay in school and start working towards trying out for the NFL if that is his dream. Unfortunately, he'll have to wow the scouts instead of stats.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:14 pm
by greenyellow
woundedknees wrote: I wonder if there is the possibility of a transfer to a FCS school?
I don't think any school would touch him right now. His college career is officially over. I wonder how he and the team will handle having him practice but not play in games. He has no opportunity to play so he really has no motivation to play hard during practice. The only practice opportunities will probably only be scout team and a player of his caliber may not like doing that for 3-4 months. I have a feeling that he may quit before the season ends if he can only practice and not play. I also would question whether he actually wants to show up when classes begin. He will be like a pariah when he shows up to class. If I was in his position, I would actually want to leave the school.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:15 pm
by woundedknees
At this point, I believe the only way LGB gets a shot at any pro team is as an undrafted prospect.

I am assuming that if he stays with Oregon, he will be utilized on the Scout team in an effort to make the rest of the team better.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:20 pm
by lukeyrid13
Autzenoise wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Too harsh IMO. A Miami player took off his helmet and beat another player with it while another teammate spiked and stomped on the other teams players. They got 2 and 4 games respectively. The Boise guy's punishment is a 'meeting' with his coach. Total BS iyam. He didn't just talk but instigated physical contact
And thankfully this keeps us from being grouped with colleges like Miami for poor decisions like only giving a kid 2 games for something like that....If you want your Ducks to be the best by allowing behavior like this, than you are not the kind of fan that I personally am proud of. Apologize if that sounds like a personal attack, but I feel very strongly about the fact that these kids learn from these years alot about how to be a good person, along with how to play football. The first is much more important in my mind.
I am not saying he should have only gotten 2 games and it would be a sad sad day if we are ever compared to Miami or FSU or others but I think the whole season is a bit harsh. I think we could have done 5-8 games and put a lot of restrictions on him and have him do a lot of community service and other things that would have given us the proper image and we could have allowed him a second chance and to see if he backed up what he said that he wouldn't mess up at all again. With those restrictions if he did mess up in the slightest he would have been let go. I think I am also really upset that Hout got nothing. Talking is one thing but making physical contact and then taunting and instigating things deserves at least one game.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:27 pm
by uodux1212
Its funny that some people actually think he's gonna stay in school...

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:29 pm
by woundedknees
I'm not saying he will, but his chances in life improve greatly if he manages to straighten up and get that degree.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 pm
by monster
Yeah, next to dog-killer Mike Vick and Mr. Double Murder Ray Lewis, no one in the NFL will give Blount a chance ... :roll:

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 pm
by MFRDuckFan
For Hout to receive no punishment at all will actually do Boise State more harm than good in the world of public perception. They had an opportunity to bring themselves up a notch in the national view and they didn't do it. They will remain a lower tier school because they act like one. No punishment equals low class and they just missed a huge opportunity. They could have notched their team up in the national picture by not condoning Hout's actions. Stupid move. Never miss an opportunity publicity wise.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 pm
by woundedknees
I was surprised a little by that... What did Petersen think Hout said, anyway, "Great Game, man"?

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 pm
by monster
^^

Seriously.

And I know that BCS teams rarely schedule games @BSU (even against BSU) because it's such a tough place to play. But after last night, what AD in his right mind would schedule a game there? First, the potential for a loss is huge; second, as demonstrated, there's the potential for a total meltdown. I bet it's a long time before another BCS school schedules a game there, and this is a team that needs big games. BSU and its fans did not do themselves any favors with the way they handled that win (of course, neither did Blount).