Page 2 of 2
Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am
by GoDucksTroll
FlDuckFan wrote:GoDucksTroll wrote:New crystal ball movement on Jay Butterfield, the #2 ranked pocket passing QB.
Probably not a good sign on DJ. Interesting, as Butterfield's dad played at Stanford and it was assumed he would follow suit. It doesn't look like Stanford is recruiting him.
Anyone else find it a bit funny that getting the #2 PP QB is a bit of a let down? In previous years it feels like the fanbase would be stoked to get Butterfield.
That's funny, because I was disappointed posting that.
Which should be ridiculous, because Butterfield would be right along Kellen Clemens and Dennis Dixon as the highest rated QBs we've ever recruited. I watched his Hudl and that kid has a ton of arm talent, throws a beautiful and easy to catch ball. Moves a bit like a newborn deer, but it's obvious why he's ranked that high with an absolutely elite arm like that.
But DJ U is such a rarity that anything else seems like a consolation prize in comparison. Especially when the dominoes were seemingly falling in our favor:
* USC chose Bryce Young instead. They are also a Dumpster fire.
* We lose a star QB and will have an open competition for the QB job. Clemson has Trevor Lawrence for DJ's freshman year.
* We're the much closer school, with a handful of his HS teammates and friends. We're the ones with a tradition of Poly QBs.
Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 pm
by GoDucksIn09
Butterfield didn't he coach a baseball team years ago? (sly grin) I must be getting old. Images of the Bad News Bears coming to mind. In all seriousness I would guess he is a backup plan in case don't get DJ. It is better to be prepared than to be disappointed and no viable options left. Just my opinion though.
Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:47 pm
by lukeyrid13
Is he at all related to Brian & Ben Butterfield that were both former Ducks. I believe both were walk ons but played a ton on special teams.
I think we will go all out on Butterfield if/when DJ commits to Clemson.
Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm
by ncduck
lukeyrid13 wrote:Is he at all related to Brian & Ben Butterfield that were both former Ducks. I believe both were walk ons but played a ton on special teams.
I think we will go all out on Butterfield if/when DJ commits to Clemson.
Could be the staff has already started the push. Maybe a scenario in which the staff tells them both how much we want them, but whoever commits first gets the spot.
Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:10 pm
by maxduck
lukeyrid13 wrote:Is he at all related to Brian & Ben Butterfield that were both former Ducks. I believe both were walk ons but played a ton on special teams.
I think we will go all out on Butterfield if/when DJ commits to Clemson.
I believe his father is Mark Butterfield, a Stanford QB who earned the starting role his senior season, leading the Cardinal to a 7-4-1 record in 1995. That year he threw for 2,500 yards with a 58% completion record.