Page 2 of 2

Re: Quack!!! 4* 2020 QB Commit, Jay Butterfield

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:02 pm
by GoDucksTroll
Butterfield wasn’t invited to the Elite 11 or The Opening (odd for a QB of his ranking but not unheard of) but another QB target we’ve been kicking the tires on - Rancho Cucamonga’s CJ Stroud (533 on the composite) made 247’s The Opening dream team. Butterfield said he was told the coaches wanted two QBs, so we’ll see what that means.

Pretty high praise for Stroud: https://247sports.com/Article/2019-Open ... 133408643/

Also making the list is Noah Sewell, who has been wowing people and will probably be a 5-star in 247 rankings eventually.

On a related note, it sucks The Opening moved from Beaverton. I knew someone involved with it, and the one day I went it was a pretty good time.

Re: Quack!!! 4* 2020 QB Commit, Jay Butterfield

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:08 pm
by StevensTechU
Summer camp literally means nothing for quarterbacks. Zero.

Travis Johnsen and Morgan Mahalak were Elite 11 QBs and we're not exactly begging for their replicas.

Re: Quack!!! 4* 2020 QB Commit, Jay Butterfield

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 am
by GoDucksTroll
StevensTechU wrote:Summer camp literally means nothing for quarterbacks. Zero.

Travis Johnsen and Morgan Mahalak were Elite 11 QBs and we're not exactly begging for their replicas.
I remember Trent Dilfer, the worst QB evaluator ever, said Jonsen would be the next great Oregon QB. So I take these camps with a grain of salt.

But Stroud did win the Elite 11 MVP. Some notables who have done that: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Aaron Murray, Tua, Shea Patterson. It’s some elite company. Plenty of busts as well.

I’m excited to see a QB competition next year.

Re: Quack!!! 4* 2020 QB Commit, Jay Butterfield

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:54 pm
by StevensTechU
GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Summer camp literally means nothing for quarterbacks. Zero.

Travis Johnsen and Morgan Mahalak were Elite 11 QBs and we're not exactly begging for their replicas.
I remember Trent Dilfer, the worst QB evaluator ever, said Jonsen would be the next great Oregon QB. So I take these camps with a grain of salt.

But Stroud did win the Elite 11 MVP. Some notables who have done that: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Aaron Murray, Tua, Shea Patterson. It’s some elite company. Plenty of busts as well.

I’m excited to see a QB competition next year.
Haha, I have no idea how to take your message befuaww you're basically said "You're right, they mean nothing, but they could mean something " lol

I would bet that if you looked at those guys' on field performance, they probably were pretty outstanding there, too.

I tweeted at Scott Frost every other day to offer Justin Herbert a few years back. Washington's coaches watched him throw in shorts and said "nah," but had they watched his play against Jesuit (an OT loss where he threw a pick late but was otherwise brilliant and clearly the most impactful player on the field) you could see he had "it," not to mention measurables.

I'm just ranting. Summer camp is good to scout for a lot of positions. QB just isn't one.