When do we?
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3944
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: When do we?
Seems like decent speed. Looks like quickness is a weakness. Runs to tall too. Needs to get his pass lower at the next level of competition
-
gogreen55
- Senior
- Posts: 2369
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm
Re: When do we?
I take the whole "at the top of their board" thing with a grain of salt. The way I have seen that phrase used over the years, I take it to mean that a player is at the top of their board consisting of players they have a realistic chance of actually signing, rather than literally the player they feel is #1 at that position in the entire country.
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: When do we?
In this instance it's actually true. We essentially passed on Kendall Milton specifically and other top guys because Mastro pegged Benson as his guy probably at least 8 months ago when he was a total unknown.gogreen55 wrote:I take the whole "at the top of their board" thing with a grain of salt. The way I have seen that phrase used over the years, I take it to mean that a player is at the top of their board consisting of players they have a realistic chance of actually signing, rather than literally the player they feel is #1 at that position in the entire country.
-
GrandpaDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3306
- Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:48 pm
Re: When do we?
So, this is odd. Trey is a shifty cut - cut - cut and then cut some more runner. He runs to daylight and always seems more inclined to dance away from contact then try to run through it. His is about the last film I would watch and say "that is a downhill runner".
So it will be interesting to see what they do with him. Do you they try to rein him in a little or strip him down to his raw potential and make him assimilate.

So it will be interesting to see what they do with him. Do you they try to rein him in a little or strip him down to his raw potential and make him assimilate.

- brich75
- Senior
- Posts: 4054
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Re: When do we?
I wonder if they are all counting on Megee who I think is committed to 2021 class? The highlights of him even as a freshman seem DeAnthony Thomas worthy. Dude is explosive, top end fast, and explosive as hell. I think he was recruiting as a RB
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: When do we?
Lack of top end talent on the West Coast recently.
Taggart tried to flip Stephen Carr, who started off on fire at USC but is not the stud that was expected.
This year Kendall Milton decided to join Georgia’s stable of RBs. Another 5-star, Bijan Robinson from Arizona, chose Texas.
I have also wondered why we’re not getting on the truly elite recruits. Geography hasn’t been a limiting factor for Mario and his staff. I’m hopeful for Dollars and McGee. We also have three solid sophomore backs. The sky isn’t falling but this has been interesting, you’d think the big names would be lining up.
Taggart tried to flip Stephen Carr, who started off on fire at USC but is not the stud that was expected.
This year Kendall Milton decided to join Georgia’s stable of RBs. Another 5-star, Bijan Robinson from Arizona, chose Texas.
I have also wondered why we’re not getting on the truly elite recruits. Geography hasn’t been a limiting factor for Mario and his staff. I’m hopeful for Dollars and McGee. We also have three solid sophomore backs. The sky isn’t falling but this has been interesting, you’d think the big names would be lining up.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: When do we?
Add Zach Charbonnet at Michigan, who looks like their only competent offensive player.GoDucksTroll wrote:Lack of top end talent on the West Coast recently.
Taggart tried to flip Stephen Carr, who started off on fire at USC but is not the stud that was expected.
This year Kendall Milton decided to join Georgia’s stable of RBs. Another 5-star, Bijan Robinson from Arizona, chose Texas.
I have also wondered why we’re not getting on the truly elite recruits. Geography hasn’t been a limiting factor for Mario and his staff. I’m hopeful for Dollars and McGee. We also have three solid sophomore backs. The sky isn’t falling but this has been interesting, you’d think the big names would be lining up.
It's a recruiting issue. We have historically pulled great running backs from West of the Mississippi, but we haven't been of late.
-
GrantDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm
Re: When do we?
Agree that we need to start getting some guys like Royce Freeman, Tyner, and Snoop in terms of recruiting...
but..Trey Benson is legit. 3* is a joke of a rating for him.
but..Trey Benson is legit. 3* is a joke of a rating for him.
- brich75
- Senior
- Posts: 4054
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Re: When do we?
I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: When do we?
Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
-
Merganzer
- Senior
- Posts: 3656
- Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am
Re: When do we?
Absolutely. He comes in last night, gets about 20 yards in two carries, and that's it for him.GoDucksTroll wrote:Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
- brich75
- Senior
- Posts: 4054
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Re: When do we?
Ya Verdell looks like he just sees a pile and hits it. Doesn’t really look for holesGoDucksTroll wrote:Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
Dye is quick but wind seems to knock him down
Felix seems like the best option, he seems to be just as fast/strong and looks for holes. I’m curious why the staff doesn’t play him more
-
droop10
- Freshman
- Posts: 1413
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Re: When do we?
From what I’ve seen from him on passing downs, I think he struggles with pass protection. That and the fact that he’s always banged up keeps him from seeing the field more often.brich75 wrote:Ya Verdell looks like he just sees a pile and hits it. Doesn’t really look for holesGoDucksTroll wrote:Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
Dye is quick but wind seems to knock him down
Felix seems like the best option, he seems to be just as fast/strong and looks for holes. I’m curious why the staff doesn’t play him more
-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8651
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: When do we?
Verdell is averaging 6.3 ypc, Dye 5.8, both better numbers than last year. They may leave a little to be desired when it comes to their physical tools but they’re getting the job done. Just for comparison, Eno Benjamin is averaging 4.7 ypc.
Like seemingly everything with this team, fans are convinced they’re way worse than they are, and the stats prove it. Verdell’s biggest issue is he gets dinged up almost every game. In the first half against Arizona he puked on the field and was pointing to hit stomach on the sideline. Dye performed just fine in his place.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like seemingly everything with this team, fans are convinced they’re way worse than they are, and the stats prove it. Verdell’s biggest issue is he gets dinged up almost every game. In the first half against Arizona he puked on the field and was pointing to hit stomach on the sideline. Dye performed just fine in his place.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Phenom
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 9914
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
Re: When do we?
Exactly. Verdell led the Pac-12 in rushing a few weeks ago.dthomas=ddixon wrote:Verdell is averaging 6.3 ypc, Dye 5.8, both better numbers than last year. They may leave a little to be desired when it comes to their physical tools but they’re getting the job done. Just for comparison, Eno Benjamin is averaging 4.7 ypc.
Like seemingly everything with this team, fans are convinced they’re way worse than they are, and the stats prove it. Verdell’s biggest issue is he gets dinged up almost every game. In the first half against Arizona he puked on the field and was pointing to hit stomach on the sideline. Dye performed just fine in his place.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are they super talented? No. But they are usually solid, even if there is no stud. They do leave some yards on the field but they've actually improved a lot over the year.
