Page 2 of 3

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:39 pm
by UofDuck
Seems like decent speed. Looks like quickness is a weakness. Runs to tall too. Needs to get his pass lower at the next level of competition

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:42 pm
by gogreen55
I take the whole "at the top of their board" thing with a grain of salt. The way I have seen that phrase used over the years, I take it to mean that a player is at the top of their board consisting of players they have a realistic chance of actually signing, rather than literally the player they feel is #1 at that position in the entire country.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 pm
by lukeyrid13
gogreen55 wrote:I take the whole "at the top of their board" thing with a grain of salt. The way I have seen that phrase used over the years, I take it to mean that a player is at the top of their board consisting of players they have a realistic chance of actually signing, rather than literally the player they feel is #1 at that position in the entire country.
In this instance it's actually true. We essentially passed on Kendall Milton specifically and other top guys because Mastro pegged Benson as his guy probably at least 8 months ago when he was a total unknown.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:22 pm
by GrandpaDuck
So, this is odd. Trey is a shifty cut - cut - cut and then cut some more runner. He runs to daylight and always seems more inclined to dance away from contact then try to run through it. His is about the last film I would watch and say "that is a downhill runner".

So it will be interesting to see what they do with him. Do you they try to rein him in a little or strip him down to his raw potential and make him assimilate.

Image

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pm
by brich75
I wonder if they are all counting on Megee who I think is committed to 2021 class? The highlights of him even as a freshman seem DeAnthony Thomas worthy. Dude is explosive, top end fast, and explosive as hell. I think he was recruiting as a RB

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:28 pm
by GoDucksTroll
Lack of top end talent on the West Coast recently.

Taggart tried to flip Stephen Carr, who started off on fire at USC but is not the stud that was expected.

This year Kendall Milton decided to join Georgia’s stable of RBs. Another 5-star, Bijan Robinson from Arizona, chose Texas.

I have also wondered why we’re not getting on the truly elite recruits. Geography hasn’t been a limiting factor for Mario and his staff. I’m hopeful for Dollars and McGee. We also have three solid sophomore backs. The sky isn’t falling but this has been interesting, you’d think the big names would be lining up.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 pm
by StevensTechU
GoDucksTroll wrote:Lack of top end talent on the West Coast recently.

Taggart tried to flip Stephen Carr, who started off on fire at USC but is not the stud that was expected.

This year Kendall Milton decided to join Georgia’s stable of RBs. Another 5-star, Bijan Robinson from Arizona, chose Texas.

I have also wondered why we’re not getting on the truly elite recruits. Geography hasn’t been a limiting factor for Mario and his staff. I’m hopeful for Dollars and McGee. We also have three solid sophomore backs. The sky isn’t falling but this has been interesting, you’d think the big names would be lining up.
Add Zach Charbonnet at Michigan, who looks like their only competent offensive player.

It's a recruiting issue. We have historically pulled great running backs from West of the Mississippi, but we haven't been of late.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:05 pm
by GrantDuck
Agree that we need to start getting some guys like Royce Freeman, Tyner, and Snoop in terms of recruiting...

but..Trey Benson is legit. 3* is a joke of a rating for him.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:22 pm
by brich75
I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:36 pm
by GoDucksTroll
brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:44 pm
by Merganzer
GoDucksTroll wrote:
brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.
Absolutely. He comes in last night, gets about 20 yards in two carries, and that's it for him.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:45 pm
by brich75
GoDucksTroll wrote:
brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.
Ya Verdell looks like he just sees a pile and hits it. Doesn’t really look for holes

Dye is quick but wind seems to knock him down

Felix seems like the best option, he seems to be just as fast/strong and looks for holes. I’m curious why the staff doesn’t play him more

Re: When do we?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm
by droop10
brich75 wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
brich75 wrote:I know this is beating a dead horse but after watching our backs last night, I am shocked they aren’t pressing a big time back somewhere.
Travis looked pretty good last night. I’m gonna best my own dead horse, but I want to see more Felix.
Ya Verdell looks like he just sees a pile and hits it. Doesn’t really look for holes

Dye is quick but wind seems to knock him down

Felix seems like the best option, he seems to be just as fast/strong and looks for holes. I’m curious why the staff doesn’t play him more
From what I’ve seen from him on passing downs, I think he struggles with pass protection. That and the fact that he’s always banged up keeps him from seeing the field more often.

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 am
by dthomas=ddixon
Verdell is averaging 6.3 ypc, Dye 5.8, both better numbers than last year. They may leave a little to be desired when it comes to their physical tools but they’re getting the job done. Just for comparison, Eno Benjamin is averaging 4.7 ypc.

Like seemingly everything with this team, fans are convinced they’re way worse than they are, and the stats prove it. Verdell’s biggest issue is he gets dinged up almost every game. In the first half against Arizona he puked on the field and was pointing to hit stomach on the sideline. Dye performed just fine in his place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: When do we?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 am
by Phenom
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Verdell is averaging 6.3 ypc, Dye 5.8, both better numbers than last year. They may leave a little to be desired when it comes to their physical tools but they’re getting the job done. Just for comparison, Eno Benjamin is averaging 4.7 ypc.

Like seemingly everything with this team, fans are convinced they’re way worse than they are, and the stats prove it. Verdell’s biggest issue is he gets dinged up almost every game. In the first half against Arizona he puked on the field and was pointing to hit stomach on the sideline. Dye performed just fine in his place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Verdell led the Pac-12 in rushing a few weeks ago.

Are they super talented? No. But they are usually solid, even if there is no stud. They do leave some yards on the field but they've actually improved a lot over the year.