Page 2 of 3

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
by Phalanx
StevensTechU wrote:
Phalanx wrote:It seems like Cristobal has a healthy sense of the value of roster spots. If he wants to sign Jones, I'm guessing it's because he sees something we don't. DT is a pretty hard position to recruit out here, so maybe the risk/reward was worth the shot.
Certainly. But half the reason these boards exist is to disagree with certain things the staff does.

When I watch Jones' film, I see a player who is twice the size of everyone else, yet is easily blocked on most plays. It seems to me that the best D linemen are that way because of their explosiveness, and it just doesn't seem like Jones has much of that.
I'm not disagreeing with you (as fun as that is to do). I just weigh what my eyes and research tell me vs. how careful I see Mario being about roster spots. I don't pretend to be a scout, but I had basically moved on from this kid in my mind. Sounds like Mario disagrees, and I am willing to allow that A) He knows more than me, and B) If there is a spot worth taking a risk on, especially in this region, it's defensive tackle. Then I start reading scouting reports from the guys who gave him 4 stars, and seeing that Baylor also wants this kid, and they are not exactly slouches in football. So maybe if he comes here, it will work out.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm
by UofDuck
Phalanx wrote:
Phenom wrote:
maxduck wrote:Wonder if this is a "you can try DL and if it doesn't work you can switch" situation. If Bama offered him as an OL he must have some talent. Isn't that how Oregon got Arik Armstead?
Nah. Arik chose to play DL instead of OL (where many thought he was a generational talent). I'm pretty sure every school was going to let him play DL.
The scuttlebutt at the time was the he came to Oregon because USC wouldn't let him play DL.
His family was enraged at SC for their handling of his older’s brother heart condition as a Trojan.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:32 pm
by Phenom
StevensTechU wrote:
Phenom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I would rather keep a scholarship open for a juco plug-and-play defensive lineman than take a flier on Jones.

I've said before that Wideman and Abrams-Drain would both be alley pop dunks by the ducks. I also like the offer to the tall WR out of Alabama they recently made.
We don't need a plug and play JUCO DL this year. When was the last one who made a big impact?
We don't this year. But if we take Jayson Jones, he doesn't materialize into an impact player, then two or three years now he's taking the spot of a guy who could be.
I would think the plan is that he redshirts next year and he comes in after Scott leaves to backup Popo. He hasn’t been the same since he had a serious injury so he needs to lose some weight.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 pm
by Phenom
He’s a big dude and really well built.

https://twitter.com/thejaysonjones/stat ... 08096?s=21

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 pm
by GoDucksTroll
Phenom wrote:He’s a big dude and really well built.

https://twitter.com/thejaysonjones/stat ... 08096?s=21
Yeah this kid looks to be in not awful shape considering the critique was he ballooned. Even six months in a real S&C and nutrition program could make him a beast.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 pm
by maxduck
Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:13 am
by quack1994pdx
According to Scott Reed at DSA, he said that Jones committed during the visit, but won't go public until signing day. He also said to watch and see if Jones decides to cancel his Ole Miss visit this weekend. Lane Kiffin gonna work this one me thinks.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:25 am
by StevensTechU
maxduck wrote:Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
That first step is precisely why Scott is so good.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 am
by jimmy12
StevensTechU wrote:
maxduck wrote:Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
That first step is precisely why Scott is so good.

STU-- do you not like Jones?

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 am
by StevensTechU
jimmy12 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
maxduck wrote:Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
That first step is precisely why Scott is so good.

STU-- do you not like Jones?
Not particularly. His lack of athleticism concerns me.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:03 pm
by mattc94
quack1994pdx wrote:According to Scott Reed at DSA, he said that Jones committed during the visit, but won't go public until signing day. He also said to watch and see if Jones decides to cancel his Ole Miss visit this weekend. Lane Kiffin gonna work this one me thinks.
He cancelled. Anybody heard anything on Wideman? Though I think this means we are maxed on scholarships to offer.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:13 pm
by maxduck
A high school teammate of Jayson Jones accepted a preferred walk on slot.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:14 pm
by jimmy12
I think wideman’s family situation is complicated. Ducks feel good but there are other influencers involved

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:13 pm
by Phenom
I just watched Jones and I'm impressed with what there is to work with physically. 6'7 340 and to have the agility that he has is pretty rare. Just look at the way he moves. It looks smooth, it doesn't look clunky or odd. How often do you say that about a dude that size? He's got a lot of work to do technically, but I think he could take a redshirt year for us and be fine.

Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:47 am
by pdxduck2013
Phenom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I would rather keep a scholarship open for a juco plug-and-play defensive lineman than take a flier on Jones.

I've said before that Wideman and Abrams-Drain would both be alley pop dunks by the ducks. I also like the offer to the tall WR out of Alabama they recently made.
We don't need a plug and play JUCO DL this year. When was the last one who made a big impact?
The only one I can think of in the last decade was Will Tukuafu. The rest were all depth guys.