Page 2 of 3

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:14 pm
by WestCoastDux
Quack! Christian Burkhalter committed to Oregon.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm
by OregonFan4Life
So is this guy underrated or are the coaches missing out on some big prospects?

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:00 pm
by greenyellow
OregonFan4Life wrote:So is this guy underrated or are the coaches missing out on some big prospects?
He's someone who's potential the staff likes, especially at the STUD position. He's an Avalos guy and has been compared to former BSU LB Leighton Vander Esch.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 pm
by StevensTechU
.8742 is not a bad rating! I think it's a pretty appropriate rating, tbh.

Same high school as Duck cornerback DJ James.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:04 pm
by greenyellow
Not sure why his commitment caused Oregon to jump up the rankings as much as they did, but the Ducks now have the #3 recruiting class in the country.
Image

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:43 pm
by SteelTown43
After Clemson lost a commit to ohio state and north Carolina had their best commit reclassify to 2020, the small bump we received from the Burkhalter commitment raised us to #3.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:51 am
by Duckenstein
I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:01 am
by Phalanx
Duckenstein wrote:I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
Maybe to replace Eaford? My concern is that we have to be running up against scholarship limits, and it feels like taking project guys like this means we are giving up on the bigger fish. Either that, or some guys are going to get processed, which doesn't seem like an attractive option.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:14 am
by Duckenstein
Phalanx wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
Maybe to replace Eaford? My concern is that we have to be running up against scholarship limits, and it feels like taking project guys like this means we are giving up on the bigger fish. Either that, or some guys are going to get processed, which doesn't seem like an attractive option.
Agreed. Burkholder and Bucker are both project guys with high motors. Great gets.

But we are in on some really big fish and will need to process some guys that are really good players. There's not much fat once you get past 3-4 guys.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 am
by ducks5ever
Does Burkhalter play the same position as Jonathan Flowe? Wouldn't it make sense to Jonathan over Burkhalter if so?

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:12 pm
by StevensTechU
ducks5ever wrote:Does Burkhalter play the same position as Jonathan Flowe? Wouldn't it make sense to Jonathan over Burkhalter if so?
Both OLBs, so possibly. Buckhalter is a different body type, long and lean like Cody Carriger and Justin Hollins (better football player than the former but not as talented as the latter), who you'd project to play that in the Mase Funa/Adrian Jackson spot. I originally thought they wanted to line him up as a WDE, which I really didn't like, but could see him being similar to Jordan Zumwalt (UCLA) as a linebacker who comes off the edge a lot.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am
by Duck07
Duckenstein wrote:I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
Trust your recruiting/scouting is one thought but the other is that with Covid, what is a large position group could also get small in a year and half with a lot of uncertainty regarding how many actual games take place. It'd really suck to have such a loaded defense and not get to see them play but I think its a contingency the coaches have to plan for (without glancing at a roster breakdown) as just-in-case scenario.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:01 am
by buckmarkduck
He has huge upside, has only played D for a year. Was a TE before. I've also heard that he could play inside, even with his height.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:38 pm
by punizhr02
StevensTechU wrote:
SteelTown43 wrote:Guys, trust the coaches and the prospect's offer sheet
I just went back and re-watched through the lense of him being an OLB instead of WDE. I don't think he'd be a bad pickup. As I said earlier, he has plus speed and athleticism, and re-watching, he actually looks like he does really well in space. The critique I still have is but didn't say before is that, if you watch his exuberant celebrations and s***-talking after the play is dead, he seems like a big douchebag. Hopefully he grows out of it but even if not, you're never gonna like all hundred guys on your team.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10047834/5 ... 0e6067b8f4
I don't mind guys playing with a little edge in their game. As long as he isn't Burfecting his way into 15 yard penalties, I don't think it's a problem. Troy Dye plays with a similar edge. Remember his Dubs down on national TV? Having a team full of these guys leads to disfunction and a lack of discipline, but having a few of these guys fires the team up and brings a lot of energy.

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm
by UOducksTK1
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:So is this guy underrated or are the coaches missing out on some big prospects?
He's someone who's potential the staff likes, especially at the STUD position. He's an Avalos guy and has been compared to former BSU LB Leighton Vander Esch.
Still interesting that Oregon went with more of a project here. Our class is filling up, yet there's still lots of guys on the board.

But hey, coaches know what's up.