Page 2 of 3
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:19 pm
by GrantDuck
Good post. Justin's arm talent was absolutely nutty. It's like a golfer who hits 300 yards without breaking a sweat or a tennis player that serves 120 and doesn't even look like they're swinging hard.
The one area I can see Thompson ahead of him is reading zone coverage quickly and making quick decisions what he wants to do. Justin, even at Oregon, would still rely on his arm strength and athleticism to try and escape things because a lot of the time, he could.
Thompson will need to get quite a bit stronger if he wants to be an NFL guy, but that's often what 18-20 year olds do. His anticipation and quick reads are clearly already at a college level.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:06 pm
by buckmarkduck
Basically this entire recruiting cycle you have al but said Ty should be a 3*.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:35 pm
by StevensTechU
buckmarkduck wrote:Basically this entire recruiting cycle you have al but said Ty should be a 3*.
I actually said, and still would say, a 4*.
From July
vv
Ty Thompson (247c: .9644, STU: .91)
... I'm looking forward to seeing his senior tape, but for now I think he has tons of upside but isn't a slam dunk.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:37 pm
by Phalanx
Cristobal sure seems excited about him in interviews.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 am
by duckfan96
My opinion and I’m no expert but I feel like a lot of fans overlooked Herbert. During games people on this site and on Twitter would be calling for Shough. In my opinion, if he had to tools other Oregon qbs had at their disposal and a consistent coaching staff...he woulda been at the top of Oregon qbs. Just my opinion of course.
I hope Thompson turns out to be the guy, but who knows.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 pm
by lukeyrid13
duckfan96 wrote:My opinion and I’m no expert but I feel like a lot of fans overlooked Herbert. During games people on this site and on Twitter would be calling for Shough. In my opinion, if he had to tools other Oregon qbs had at their disposal and a consistent coaching staff...he woulda been at the top of Oregon qbs. Just my opinion of course.
I hope Thompson turns out to be the guy, but who knows.
I think the nitpicking with Herbert came with his ability to go through progressions, especially in 2018. Understandably so, but he would lock in on Dillon Mitchell. In 2019, he did a bit better at going through progressions, but still didn't have the perfect 'feel' in the pocket. He took a lot of sacks that he should have either; stepped up in pocket, or just thrown the ball away. His arm talent was and is still pretty unreal.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:54 pm
by duckfan96
I also think a lot of his issues were coaching or lack thereof and receivers with hands of stone. Not all on them of course but a large part of it.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm
by StevensTechU
I think Herbie totally lost faith in his receivers outside of Dillon and it got in his head. I don't think he wasn't seeing things, he just wasn't willing to trust guys who repeatedly dropped his passes.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:08 pm
by GoDucksTroll
I think it’s really funny how Nebraska media and fans let Scott Frost take credit for recruiting and evaluating Justin Herbert and Marcus Mariota. Their in-state QB recruit article had this lede: Did Scott Frost find his next Justin Herbert in Heinrich Haarberg?
I couldn’t stop laughing, so I had to do some googling and Frost claims Mariota. He himself also said that Saban should have played Tua earlier, that the obvious talent was why he offered Tua at Oregon. Criticizing Saban and claiming you did something you didn’t are the hallmarks of a guy who has one winning season after five seasons as a head coach.
Sorry for taking it off track, back to QBs.
We got lucky with Herbert. Even if he was a five star he was going to be a Duck, and I’m glad Helf didn’t blow it. To go along with what everyone else said Justin only had three starts to his name before his senior year. He didn’t do the camp circuit. All Sheldon QBs looked good then because the team was super good.
I agree with Stu on the bottom line of Thompson being not as polished. It took Herbert all of two weeks to unseat Travis Jonsen/Waller and Touchdown Terry (who had been there for spring practice) as the backup. I remember Fishduck had an article from one of their contributors who got to see practice and identified Herbert as a future first rounder and the best QB on the team. As an aside he also noticed Troy Dye as the other standout. Helfrich knew that Herbert was going to play, he burned his redshirt against UC Davis on a hand off.
I place a lot of blame on Helfrich, Matt Lubick, Scott Frost, and Willie for leaving the cupboard almost bare for Herbert’s WR options. Although it’s hard to predict that Carrington would get kicked off the team, Devon Allen would get injured again, and Jalen Brown would want to go get a degree from Northwestern. Ty won’t have the same issue if he wins the job, but I am far from counting on it. The beautiful thing about Joe Moorhead’s offense is that you don’t have to be perfect to be successful.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:03 am
by Phalanx
GoDucksTroll wrote:I think it’s really funny how Nebraska media and fans let Scott Frost take credit for recruiting and evaluating Justin Herbert and Marcus Mariota. Their in-state QB recruit article had this lede: Did Scott Frost find his next Justin Herbert in Heinrich Haarberg?
I couldn’t stop laughing, so I had to do some googling and Frost claims Mariota. He himself also said that Saban should have played Tua earlier, that the obvious talent was why he offered Tua at Oregon. Criticizing Saban and claiming you did something you didn’t are the hallmarks of a guy who has one winning season after five seasons as a head coach.
Just reminds me of the old saying, "Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan". The QB coach for the Chargers is also constantly being given credit for developing Herbert in the few months between his being drafted and their first practices without a fall camp, and all during the coronavirus lockdown. These coaches are all so amazing. Except for Helfrich. He was terrible at everything. He's even terrible at taking credit for stuff.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:47 pm
by mattc94
Phalanx wrote:GoDucksTroll wrote:I think it’s really funny how Nebraska media and fans let Scott Frost take credit for recruiting and evaluating Justin Herbert and Marcus Mariota. Their in-state QB recruit article had this lede: Did Scott Frost find his next Justin Herbert in Heinrich Haarberg?
I couldn’t stop laughing, so I had to do some googling and Frost claims Mariota. He hiself also said that Saban should have played Tua earlier, that the obvious talent was why he offered Tua at Oregon. Criticizing Saban and claiming you did something you didn’t are the hallmarks of a guy who has one winning season after five seasons as a head coach.
Just reminds me of the old saying, "Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan". The QB coach for the Chargers is also constantly being given credit for developing Herbert in the few months between his being drafted and their first practices without a fall camp, and all during the coronavirus lockdown. These coaches are all so amazing. Except for Helfrich. He was terrible at everything. He's even terrible at taking credit for stuff.
He's an Oregon guy and the coaching world is very small. No need to start a lot of drama and ruffle feathers if you want a future job. Also I imagine the payout check soothed out some bitter feelings. I wouldn't be suprised if (in say 10 years or so) he is remembered much better by Duck fans. As opposed to say, any chance of Gus Malzahn at a War Eagle rally.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:41 pm
by Hoagduck
The best receiver Justin ever had was Dillon Mitchell and he had a cup of coffee with the Vikings before getting cut in camp. He took us through some rough times.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:09 pm
by alxtw
Hoagduck wrote:The best receiver Justin ever had was Dillon Mitchell and he had a cup of coffee with the Vikings before getting cut in camp. He took us through some rough times.
Imagine if Herbert had Alabama or clemson level wrs and rbs.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm
by wlduck
Hoagduck wrote:The best receiver Justin ever had was Dillon Mitchell and he had a cup of coffee with the Vikings before getting cut in camp. He took us through some rough times.
I’d go with Carrington.
Re: Ty Thompson vs. Justin Herbert
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:22 pm
by Bighonkingduck
wlduck wrote:Hoagduck wrote:The best receiver Justin ever had was Dillon Mitchell and he had a cup of coffee with the Vikings before getting cut in camp. He took us through some rough times.
I’d go with Carrington.
Ditto