Page 2 of 3

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:35 pm
by StevensTechU
It kind of sounds like Jahlil is favoring Oregon and the parents might be favoring USC. Here we go.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 pm
by DmoneyDuck
SC has like a million DBs ...

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:46 am
by jimmy12
just under a million

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:20 am
by alxtw
StevensTechU wrote:It kind of sounds like Jahlil is favoring Oregon and the parents might be favoring USC. Here we go.
From Jahlil's story in the article, it sounds like his parents favor Oregon, to allow the coaches to enter their house at 12:01am once the dead period ended. They could have easily said no, come tomorrow during the day time, but wanted the coaches to surprise their son.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:28 am
by StevensTechU
alxtw wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:It kind of sounds like Jahlil is favoring Oregon and the parents might be favoring USC. Here we go.
From Jahlil's story in the article, it sounds like his parents favor Oregon, to allow the coaches to enter their house at 12:01am once the dead period ended. They could have easily said no, come tomorrow during the day time, but wanted the coaches to surprise their son.
In reading a couple articles, when USC is brought up, he always mentions how much mom/dad like it. That's the reason for my statement, but you never know since we're not talking to him ourselves.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:31 pm
by GoDucksTroll
If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:27 pm
by StevensTechU
GoDucksTroll wrote:If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless they were set on media/entertainment. Anecdotally, I've found that the whole "University of Spoiled Children" thing is incredibly accurate, and that's not really what I'd want my kids to think of as 'normal' during pretty formative years. They'll be 18, so it's their choice, but I'm personally glad that wasn't the direction life took me.

Higher admission standards means their average is better than our average, but if you're graduating in the top 10% of Oregon or top 20% of USC, you're going to have the same doors open to you (save for media/entertainment, as mentioned) either way. Conversely, if you graduate at the bottom of the class at either school, I'm not sure people are prying open doors for you because of the name on your diploma. Neither school is Harvard.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:13 pm
by GoDucksTroll
StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless they were set on media/entertainment. Anecdotally, I've found that the whole "University of Spoiled Children" thing is incredibly accurate, and that's not really what I'd want my kids to think of as 'normal' during pretty formative years. They'll be 18, so it's their choice, but I'm personally glad that wasn't the direction life took me.

Higher admission standards means their average is better than our average, but if you're graduating in the top 10% of Oregon or top 20% of USC, you're going to have the same doors open to you (save for media/entertainment, as mentioned) either way. Conversely, if you graduate at the bottom of the class at either school, I'm not sure people are prying open doors for you because of the name on your diploma. Neither school is Harvard.
I’m not going to denigrate my own education while praising a rival, but while neither school is Harvard - one is a lot less Harvard-y than the other. I’ll agree that unless there’s a renowned program undergrad degrees from name brand universities aren’t that disparate. But when it comes to applying to grad school, they make a world of difference. USC has much more prestige academically. Grad school isn’t probably what the Florence family has in mind, but even if all things were equal for them it’s much closer to home. I hope Jahlil winds up a Duck, but his parents are reasonably playing devil’s advocate.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 pm
by StevensTechU
Yea, idk. I did a grad program at Stanford. I have good friends who went to grad school at NYU, Duke, Harvard, Cambridge and Stanford, as well. "Oregon" doesn't open a lot of doors, but it doesn't close them, either. And to that end, the number of schools with such a strong brand that they open doors on name alone (not GPA, test scores, achievements or experience) is maybe 10 schools in the country, and USC isn't one of those.

If you're an Oregon grad who scored in the 90th percentile on your GREs, you're probably getting into the same programs as a USC grad who scored in the 90th percentile on their GREs....

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:42 pm
by greenyellow
Announcing Monday at 2 PM PST.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:59 pm
by northbeachsf
GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless they were set on media/entertainment. Anecdotally, I've found that the whole "University of Spoiled Children" thing is incredibly accurate, and that's not really what I'd want my kids to think of as 'normal' during pretty formative years. They'll be 18, so it's their choice, but I'm personally glad that wasn't the direction life took me.

Higher admission standards means their average is better than our average, but if you're graduating in the top 10% of Oregon or top 20% of USC, you're going to have the same doors open to you (save for media/entertainment, as mentioned) either way. Conversely, if you graduate at the bottom of the class at either school, I'm not sure people are prying open doors for you because of the name on your diploma. Neither school is Harvard.
I’m not going to denigrate my own education while praising a rival, but while neither school is Harvard - one is a lot less Harvard-y than the other. I’ll agree that unless there’s a renowned program undergrad degrees from name brand universities aren’t that disparate. But when it comes to applying to grad school, they make a world of difference. USC has much more prestige academically. Grad school isn’t probably what the Florence family has in mind, but even if all things were equal for them it’s much closer to home. I hope Jahlil winds up a Duck, but his parents are reasonably playing devil’s advocate.

USC currently projects 20 DBs on the roster for the 2022 season. If he wants playing time sooner, Oregon may be the best bet here.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:01 am
by RanDux
jimmy12 wrote:just under a million
No, I think bvb it's a million and 1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm
by greenyellow
We'll be finding out in a bit where he ends up going. Hoping it's Oregon with him taking his final OV to Oregon this weekend.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:13 pm
by greenyellow
QUACK! Florence recommits to Oregon.

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:13 pm
by Weston
QUACK!!