Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:19 pm
The American conference is gonna be in shambles if Tulsa, Memphis, and UTSA leave. Some FCS conferences are more interesting.
Oregon Ducks Sports Message Board Forum
https://ducksattack.com/forum/
The Mountain West is currently subsidizing travel to and from Hawaii for MWC schools. It's doubtful that the New Pac would do the same. UNLV, Wyoming, Air Force, Nevada, UTSA, and Tulane would be logical choices for a 12-team conference. An influx of TV revenue could significantly improve some of these schools. It's an interesting consideration.greenyellow wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:21 pm I could see them adding UTSA to get into Texas and maybe UNLV to get the Vegas market. If they wanted, they could probably get Hawaii cheap since they're not full MWC members.
They're also a nationally recognized brand from their glory days in basketball and add a better market than most schools. They're not a bad consolation, if needed.greenyellow wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:39 pm UNLV is now 2-0 against Big 12 teams this season as they've beaten Houston in Week 1 and now Kansas in Week 3. They might have an argument for being included.
Blurb I read said that much like the CA school system, if you want UNLV you may have to take Nevada too or else it may not get approved.StevensTechU wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:27 pmThey're also a nationally recognized brand from their glory days in basketball and add a better market than most schools. They're not a bad consolation, if needed.greenyellow wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:39 pm UNLV is now 2-0 against Big 12 teams this season as they've beaten Houston in Week 1 and now Kansas in Week 3. They might have an argument for being included.
I seriously doubt Stanford, or even Cal, have any interest in being in a conference with Boise Junior College. And it was Stanford/Cal who refused to let any Cal State schools in forever. They will probably end up in the big 12 or independent eventuallyOregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
I am assuming the new PAC 8, with the additional two schools added, would be a power five conference?buckmarkduck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:04 amI seriously doubt Stanford, or even Cal, have any interest in being in a conference with Boise Junior College. And it was Stanford/Cal who refused to let any Cal State schools in forever. They will probably end up in the big 12 or independent eventuallyOregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
The new pac is just the MWC, with OSU/WSU as your anchor schools. Doesn’t seem like a better long term conference than the MWC or AAC.
I doubt that will be the case. In fact I fully expect the SEC/BIG to negotiate that the Big 12 doesn’t have a automatic bid next negotiation.Alan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:19 amI am assuming the new PAC 8, with the additional two schools added, would be a power five conference?buckmarkduck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:04 amI seriously doubt Stanford, or even Cal, have any interest in being in a conference with Boise Junior College. And it was Stanford/Cal who refused to let any Cal State schools in forever. They will probably end up in the big 12 or independent eventuallyOregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
The new pac is just the MWC, with OSU/WSU as your anchor schools. Doesn’t seem like a better long term conference than the MWC or AAC.
I've said this before, there will ultimately be either two super conferences of 24 teams or one super conference of 48. The rest of the teams will be 1-A, a 48 team conference and play for a different championship. Everybody else is FCC. It's all about the $$$. It will happen, it's just a matter of time.buckmarkduck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:30 amI doubt that will be the case. In fact I fully expect the SEC/BIG to negotiate that the Big 12 doesn’t have a automatic bid next negotiation.Alan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:19 amI am assuming the new PAC 8, with the additional two schools added, would be a power five conference?buckmarkduck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:04 amI seriously doubt Stanford, or even Cal, have any interest in being in a conference with Boise Junior College. And it was Stanford/Cal who refused to let any Cal State schools in forever. They will probably end up in the big 12 or independent eventuallyOregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
The new pac is just the MWC, with OSU/WSU as your anchor schools. Doesn’t seem like a better long term conference than the MWC or AAC.
The pac 8 will bring very small fan bases, no major markets, and no schools that recruit in the top 30 or show any real NIL to change that. They will get a far smaller tv deal than the orginal pac 12 walked away from, meaning they will have 20% of the money the sec and BIg get for TV. No way will anyone agree to give those schools an automatic bid when this current deal runs out.
Not a chance as it looks entirely like they're trying to angle for being the top G5 conference and essentially earn an auto-bid from being the "better" football conference.Alan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:19 amI am assuming the new PAC 8, with the additional two schools added, would be a power five conference?buckmarkduck wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:04 amI seriously doubt Stanford, or even Cal, have any interest in being in a conference with Boise Junior College. And it was Stanford/Cal who refused to let any Cal State schools in forever. They will probably end up in the big 12 or independent eventuallyOregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
The new pac is just the MWC, with OSU/WSU as your anchor schools. Doesn’t seem like a better long term conference than the MWC or AAC.
That might have been me who said that!There was some clowning on OSU's messageboard on twitter because someone said the gap between the new Pac and the Big 12 was minimal.