Kenny Payne Stays

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by maxduck »

uostudent wrote:This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Also, there's still a chance that Calipari could bolt for the nba (namely the Chicago Bulls). The Bulls have to be considered the favorite right now to land Lebron and Calipari has a very good relationship with Lebron. He would also have an opportunity to coach Derrick Rose again.
Well, apparently he has a job offer from Altman..
Altman is also waiting on assistant coach Kenny Payne to decide whether he will remain with the team — not the other way around, as Altman has been impressed with Payne's rapport with his players and those in the athletic department.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... red_1.html
uostudent
Senior
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by uostudent »

maxduck wrote:
uostudent wrote:This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Also, there's still a chance that Calipari could bolt for the nba (namely the Chicago Bulls). The Bulls have to be considered the favorite right now to land Lebron and Calipari has a very good relationship with Lebron. He would also have an opportunity to coach Derrick Rose again.
Well, apparently he has a job offer from Altman..
Altman is also waiting on assistant coach Kenny Payne to decide whether he will remain with the team — not the other way around, as Altman has been impressed with Payne's rapport with his players and those in the athletic department.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... red_1.html
Obviously he has an offer on the table. The question is whether that offer includes a salary increase and more responsibility. It appears as though Altman's top assistant is Fish. Why would Payne want to go from being Kent's #1 guy to Altman's #2? He may have an opportunity to be Calipari's top assistant too.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11013
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by buckmarkduck »

Is being Calipari's top assistant that alluring to a man of integrity like Payne? Does he want to get caught in the mess when the NCAA puts UK on probation (because we all know it will happen, it's a question of when not if).
uostudent wrote:
maxduck wrote:
uostudent wrote:This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Also, there's still a chance that Calipari could bolt for the nba (namely the Chicago Bulls). The Bulls have to be considered the favorite right now to land Lebron and Calipari has a very good relationship with Lebron. He would also have an opportunity to coach Derrick Rose again.
Well, apparently he has a job offer from Altman..
Altman is also waiting on assistant coach Kenny Payne to decide whether he will remain with the team — not the other way around, as Altman has been impressed with Payne's rapport with his players and those in the athletic department.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... red_1.html
Obviously he has an offer on the table. The question is whether that offer includes a salary increase and more responsibility. It appears as though Altman's top assistant is Fish. Why would Payne want to go from being Kent's #1 guy to Altman's #2? He may have an opportunity to be Calipari's top assistant too.
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by maxduck »

uostudent wrote:
maxduck wrote:
uostudent wrote:This post is way too premature - the title is very misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say that Payne is leaving Oregon. I don't think Oregon made enough of an effort to keep him.

Also, there's still a chance that Calipari could bolt for the nba (namely the Chicago Bulls). The Bulls have to be considered the favorite right now to land Lebron and Calipari has a very good relationship with Lebron. He would also have an opportunity to coach Derrick Rose again.
Well, apparently he has a job offer from Altman..
Altman is also waiting on assistant coach Kenny Payne to decide whether he will remain with the team — not the other way around, as Altman has been impressed with Payne's rapport with his players and those in the athletic department.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... red_1.html
Obviously he has an offer on the table. The question is whether that offer includes a salary increase and more responsibility. It appears as though Altman's top assistant is Fish. Why would Payne want to go from being Kent's #1 guy to Altman's #2? He may have an opportunity to be Calipari's top assistant too.
So Mike Dunlap as Associate Head Coach was below Payne?
duckfan22
Senior
Posts: 2698
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by duckfan22 »

just read on college basketball that Rod Strickland one of Calipari's assistant
coaches has been resigned within the program and he's out looking for
a new one. wonder if he's called Payne yet?
Brophdog88
Senior
Posts: 3114
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:32 pm
GM: Denver Nuggets

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by Brophdog88 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I seem to be the only one but I don't really care whether Payne goes or stays. He's a great asset in recruiting but at the same time I would totally understand if Altman didn't want to keep a guy from the past failed regime around. And I wouldn't want to keep Rosemond around. We need to get at least one or two assistants that are great coaches, not just young dudes who relate to recruits.

We've already been through this before. Coaching>recruiting. Every time.
Yes and No

John Calipari & Thad Matta

Are successful because of the way they recruit, not the way they coach.

Also, if you can get a one and done type player that usually means a good tourney run.

coaching can only get you so far....

It really takes both aspects to have a consistent program
Oh definitely. And I probably should have included that in my post, a balance of both is key. I just don't think its a good idea to load up a staff with all coaches who's strength is recruiting. We need both to be successful IMO. If we keep Payne I'd much rather us bring in another really good Xs & Os guy than add another recruiting assistant to the staff.
thing is we added an x's and o's guy....Altman...why would we need to hire more X's and O's guys for the bench than before if the guy at the top is an x's and o's guy
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
oregontrack
All Pac-12
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by oregontrack »

Payne has turned down Calipari before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39229
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:Payne has turned down Calipari before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
If he hasn't already left before and now with the coaching change, then I agree we really don't have to worry about him. He seems to be happy here and I think he really wants to finish up with the kids he recruited here.
Image
dthomas=ddixon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8674
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Brophdog88 wrote:thing is we added an x's and o's guy....Altman...why would we need to hire more X's and O's guys for the bench than before if the guy at the top is an x's and o's guy
Thats the whole point of having assistants on the bench with you during games. The more eyes dissecting the game & figuring out what the other team is doing, the better. Every good coach has at the very least, one great Xs & Os guy on the bench to help him out during games. Most coaches have multiple guys.

If you think Altman is just this genius who doesn't need any help & can just send his assistants out on the recruiting trail all year, you need to get a clue.
Image
quackattack
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by quackattack »

greenyellow wrote:
oregontrack wrote:Payne has turned down Calipari before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
If he hasn't already left before and now with the coaching change, then I agree we really don't have to worry about him. He seems to be happy here and I think he really wants to finish up with the kids he recruited here.
he hasn't confirmed with Altman yet that he wants to join his staff. that's still a cause for concern. kentucky has to keep their job posted for 7 days before filling it, so we won't know (officially) if Payne is heading there until next week. but the longer he stays uncommitted to being part of Altman's staff, the higher chance he's heading to kentucky imo
Image
uostudent
Senior
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by uostudent »

oregontrack wrote:Payne has turned down Calipari before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
Source? I don't remember Kenny Payne ever being offered a job by Calipari. You should absolutely be worried.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
quackattack
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by quackattack »

uostudent wrote:
oregontrack wrote:Payne has turned down Calipari before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
Source? I don't remember Kenny Payne ever being offered a job by Calipari. You should absolutely be worried.
he turned him down last year, i do know that. but now there's a diff coaching staff at oregon so its easier him for him to walk away if he doesn't feel as comfortable anymore
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39229
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by greenyellow »

quackattack wrote:
uostudent wrote:
oregontrack wrote:Payne has turned down Calipari before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
Source? I don't remember Kenny Payne ever being offered a job by Calipari. You should absolutely be worried.
he turned him down last year, i do know that. but now there's a diff coaching staff at oregon so its easier him for him to walk away if he doesn't feel as comfortable anymore
That's why I could possibly see him leaving. He has no connection to Altman or any of the new people he brings in so he wouldn't feel so obligated to stay. A couple reasons I could see him stay are to finish with the players he helped bring in and he loves the area/people too much to leave Oregon.
Image
duckfan22
Senior
Posts: 2698
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by duckfan22 »

i think he stays. just my gut feeling tho. I think if he was gonna
leave he would have been gone already. I like others think he loves
it here to much. I hope he does what is best for him. He's a quality
guy.
quackattack
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Kenny Payne Stays

Post by quackattack »

duckfan22 wrote:i think he stays. just my gut feeling tho. I think if he was gonna
leave he would have been gone already.
i happen to think the opposite..if he was gonna stay, there would've been an official announcement by now. but either way, i'm thinking that we'll likely know by the end of next week
Image
Post Reply