Page 12 of 39
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:40 am
by squintsdd
Duck07 wrote:Phalanx wrote:
Great post, thank you. I was wondering if the agent also might be mentioning trades that he knew could have been made, or might still be made. His presence in a meeting like that seems so insidious, especially for a relatively inexperienced GM.
I just can't come up with a rationale reason why Goodwin is there beyond to insinuate what potential exit-trades for Dame are available IF Joe doesn't make other moves for Dame. We'll start finding out what FA deals are agreed to in the coming hours though and if there is any type of direction.
I think they have to sign Grant if only because losing him means you don't free up cap space and now you've lost a moveable asset.
That would be my thinking on it. Why have the agent there if it's not to push the idea of "get better or trade me"?
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:04 am
by Phalanx
Blazers waive Trendon Watford. I don't understand this move, since he was under contract for two more seasons at close to $2 million per. I'm pretty sure that money still counts against the cap. They had five such players they were paying to not play last year for around $8 million, and now there are four already lined up for next year. For a team constantly up against the tax and not wanting to go over it to be always adding this kind of dead weight makes no sense. I guess we'll see what amazing things they do with that roster spot. Maybe it means the French kid will be on the team next year.
I understand the logic that if you don't sign Grant, you can't replace him this season because they are still over the cap. That logic is exactly how the Blazers got in this mess of bad contracts though. Eventually, it would create cap space if they started getting smarter with contracts and roster management. But the Blazers are always in a deficit cap-wise, and forced to do further stupidity in order to 'build around Dame'. It will take years to unwind all of this garbage.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:33 pm
by bellsduck
Each story I've seen says his salary won't count against the cap.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:53 pm
by Phalanx
bellsduck wrote:Each story I've seen says his salary won't count against the cap.
It looks like you're right. Final two years non-guaranteed, according to articles when he signed it. Well, that is something. Seemed like a good contract though, still not sure why they dumped him.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:33 pm
by pezsez1
I'm just really excited to see which 6'5 shooting guard we'll sign to play the 3.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:16 pm
by Duck07
Eubanks signs with the Suns. That's unfortunate for the Blazers.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:35 pm
by Duck07
Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:56 pm
by pezsez1
Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.
That seems like a significantly bigger contract than what Grant was valued at.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:20 pm
by Duck07
pezsez1 wrote:Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.
That seems like a significantly bigger contract than what Grant was valued at.
If it was in line with Kuzma and Draymond, I'd say it was a fair market deal. That'd put it around 5/125-130 but its about an extra 7M/year roughly and that feels like FOMO.
If another team was going to offer him 4/128, we'd all say it was too much for him. I've seen it posted that he's likely to be getting 27.2M this season so that's also roughly the return of contracts needed to send him out.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:05 pm
by greenyellow
pezsez1 wrote:Grant signed a 5/160M deal to stay in Portland. I hope at that price that a S/T is coming.
That seems like a significantly bigger contract than what Grant was valued at.
Most media members covering the Blazers had him getting around $30-35M this off-season so it's about right on target.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:33 pm
by Duck07
Fred Van Vleet fleecing the Rockets like that should help out the chances for a Simons for OG trade with Toronto.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:37 pm
by squintsdd
Duck07 wrote:Fred Van Vleet fleecing the Rockets like that should help out the chances for a Simons for OG trade with Toronto.
I doubt Toronto makes that trade. They've been notoriously difficult to work with, and they just signed Trent. They might be the only team in the NBA that overvalues their players more than Portland
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:15 pm
by greenyellow
I'm not getting these teams handing out $40M+ a year contracts to players like FVV, Tyrese Haliburton, and Desmond Bane. They're making Simons look like he's getting paid peanuts with his production.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:41 am
by alxtw
greenyellow wrote:I'm not getting these teams handing out $40M+ a year contracts to players like FVV, Tyrese Haliburton, and Desmond Bane. They're making Simons look like he's getting paid peanuts with his production.
Hope other teams are noticing how good of a contract Simons is currently on. He has the upside of being just as good as those three, if he get enough pt and shots. Its a shame the entire world knows the Blazers are desperate to trade Simons, so teams are tactically negotiating cents on the dollar.
Not a big fan of the length of Grant's new contract. Will he be a better player in five years than players that got smaller and shorter contracts? (Draymond, Middleton)
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:03 am
by Phalanx
Awful contract. Was Cronin drunk? Blazer management continues to act like rubes in regards to originating deals. This is the reason they have no depth, and why they will continue to be a terrible team. The search for a shrewd GM continues.