Page 13 of 39
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:44 am
by Duck07
squintsdd wrote:Duck07 wrote:Fred Van Vleet fleecing the Rockets like that should help out the chances for a Simons for OG trade with Toronto.
I doubt Toronto makes that trade. They've been notoriously difficult to work with, and they just signed Trent. They might be the only team in the NBA that overvalues their players more than Portland
There are a few teams in the East that all could use an elite outside shooter so if Ujiri wants to play hard ball, he's going to end up with Trent as his best shooter, which is to say that they'll remain one of the worst outside shooting teams in the league.
The Bucks and Bobby Portis or the Bulls with DeRozan are other options out there to send Simons + filler out. I'm dreading hearing that the filler will become Sharpe or Scoot though.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:46 am
by pezsez1
I'm dreading hearing that the filler will become Sharpe or Scoot though.
If you were forced to give up one, which would it be?
I'd keep Sharpe. I loved what I saw from him down the stretch of last season (consistently matched against the best opposing players and only getting beat once), love that he has more size, love that he has a beautiful (and improving jumper), and of course his freakish athleticism is a nice bonus. Brings more versatility to an NBA lineup.
No way we'll get rid of either one, though. If Sharpe were tradeable, then he probably would have been moved with Pick 3 before the draft. And same goes for Scoot... if Cronin didn't see him as the best player he could get then he wouldn't have drafted.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:37 am
by greenyellow
So Damian Lillard wants out. Figured after they were so quiet.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:39 am
by Boom
I guess they couldn’t find a nice deal for Simmons. The logical conclusion is finally here.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:46 am
by greenyellow
My guess is teams were intentionally lowballing them on deals to force Dame and the Blazers' hands. I also think Cronin wasn't really trying either since he knew he has an out with the rebuild.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:50 am
by alxtw
Could be Jodi unwilling to spend into the luxury tax and interested in winning a championship.
Simons is on a much friendlier contract, just hope we got a fair package in return for dame.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:54 am
by greenyellow
My question is what they do with Jerami Grant after announcing his signing. I doubt he wants to be on a rebuilding team. I'd be surprised if they stick with Nurk too.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:02 am
by greenyellow
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:03 am
by Duck07
This is so laughable on Lillard's part because the team has only made the most obvious of moves for him so far to this point for someone who "just wants a chance to compete."
Dame, Scoot
Thybulle, Sharpe
SF TBD, Little/Rupert
Grant, Murray
Nurk, MLE FA
It's the best move for the team though long-term and I'm hoping it also means we send out Grant and Nurk. Might as well keep Simons and make him a 6th man now.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 am
by Boom
Grant & Nurk will be moved out at some point. There’s no rush.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 am
by Duck07
greenyellow wrote:My question is what they do with Jerami Grant after announcing his signing. I doubt he wants to be on a rebuilding team. I'd be surprised if they stick with Nurk too.
Well it was always one train of thought that a S/T with Grant was possible and Detroit can absorb the deal I want to say and give us a pick back.
It also makes the decision to let Watford walk that much more asinine in hindsight.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 am
by DuckMastaFunk
If Nurk goes, who takes his place? Eubanks? Badji?
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:16 am
by greenyellow
DuckMastaFunk wrote:If Nurk goes, who takes his place? Eubanks? Badji?
You have to see who they get in any Dame deal. Or even include Nurk in a trade to bring back another younger center.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 am
by squintsdd
greenyellow wrote:My question is what they do with Jerami Grant after announcing his signing. I doubt he wants to be on a rebuilding team. I'd be surprised if they stick with Nurk too.
I imagine nurk will be gone at some point before the trade deadline, but currently he's our only big man, so unless they get another decently sized center in return somewhere he's going to stay on roster.
Teams know that Portland is in a bad spot. If they refuse to take low ball trades then portland is stuck with a disgruntled Lillard on a team destined for the lottery again, or teams can just wait it out until Lillard requests a trade be made to a team that's a contender. In that case Portland likely just gets a decent, but not great player, and protected draft picks that will end up falling somewhere late in the first round.
With or without Lillard, Portland will be going back to the lottery. The best thing they can do at this point is deal with a disgruntled Lillard until the trade deadline, and let contending teams fight it out for the best trade package.
Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:19 am
by Duck07
DuckMastaFunk wrote:If Nurk goes, who takes his place? Eubanks? Badji?
Eubanks signed with the Suns so yes, Badji and Butler Jr are the only Centers on the roster.