Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by greenyellow »

Image
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

Well for Cronin I think the only requirement in accepting a Lillard trade is what the single best asset that he can get back is. Whoever is offering the best young Forward or Center is going to be the highest priority in order to facilitate.

The Bucks could send Jrue and Portis straight up with future picks.

I'd completely f*** with Miami too and ask for Spoelstra in any Lillard trade. Make Riley coach that team.
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:Well for Cronin I think the only requirement in accepting a Lillard trade is what the single best asset that he can get back is. Whoever is offering the best young Forward or Center is going to be the highest priority in order to facilitate.

The Bucks could send Jrue and Portis straight up with future picks.

I'd completely f*** with Miami too and ask for Spoelstra in any Lillard trade. Make Riley coach that team.
While Portland will try to accommodate Dame's request, they aren't going to make it painless for any team hoping to get in on the sweepstakes. Since they control his contract for 3-4 more years, they don't have to move fast. I know they likely won't do it but they'd almost be better off waiting until the trade deadline to get a trade done.
Image
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Well for Cronin I think the only requirement in accepting a Lillard trade is what the single best asset that he can get back is. Whoever is offering the best young Forward or Center is going to be the highest priority in order to facilitate.

The Bucks could send Jrue and Portis straight up with future picks.

I'd completely f*** with Miami too and ask for Spoelstra in any Lillard trade. Make Riley coach that team.
While Portland will try to accommodate Dame's request, they aren't going to make it painless for any team hoping to get in on the sweepstakes. Since they control his contract for 3-4 more years, they don't have to move fast. I know they likely won't do it but they'd almost be better off waiting until the trade deadline to get a trade done.
I'm going to have to see results from this org to think that is possible first. Assuming they get fleeced seems like Occam's Razor to me with the benefit of hindsight of the last 10 days.

Dame should have gone to Orlando pre-draft.
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Well for Cronin I think the only requirement in accepting a Lillard trade is what the single best asset that he can get back is. Whoever is offering the best young Forward or Center is going to be the highest priority in order to facilitate.

The Bucks could send Jrue and Portis straight up with future picks.

I'd completely f*** with Miami too and ask for Spoelstra in any Lillard trade. Make Riley coach that team.
While Portland will try to accommodate Dame's request, they aren't going to make it painless for any team hoping to get in on the sweepstakes. Since they control his contract for 3-4 more years, they don't have to move fast. I know they likely won't do it but they'd almost be better off waiting until the trade deadline to get a trade done.
I'm going to have to see results from this org to think that is possible first. Assuming they get fleeced seems like Occam's Razor to me with the benefit of hindsight of the last 10 days.

Dame should have gone to Orlando pre-draft.
I get not having faith in the franchise with its current ownership and front office. They've proven they can tear it down but not that they can build it into a winner. The problem Portland has is that even with all the salary space that'll likely be open with Dame gone, they can't attract free agents that are actually worth a damn. That means they're going to have to get as many draft picks and young wings/posts as possible that could turn into something usable. Unless they get some decent trade pieces and Sharpe/Scoot/others blow up big, I foresee them being in the lottery at least 2-3 more years before we see any noticeable change.
Image
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4990
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Man, did Lillard ever play the Blazers. Max contract after max contract, and then once he squeezes the last crazy supermax deal, he starts threatening to leave unless the Blazers do exactly what he wants, and then the day after they give his buddy a ridiculous contract, he asks for a trade and leaks it so everyone knows. So now the Blazers are stuck paying Grant all that money while trying to rebuild, and Lillard gets to decide where he goes to leave Portland holding the bag. Unbelievable. Tell me again how this is the best player in Blazers history. So loyal, so married to the community. What a joke.

You think the Blazers would have done that deal with Grant if they knew Lillard was leaving? He couldn't have mentioned it one day earlier? And speaking of knowing Lillard was leaving, I wonder what he's been telling Miami on the side, who have been dumping salary like crazy the last few days. If I was Cronin, I would trade Lillard anywhere but there.

Really glad they didn't trade Ant.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by greenyellow »

Marc Spears is reporting that Lillard actually requested a trade on Monday but him and Cronin didn't want it out until after free agency started so it wouldn't muddy the waters. I think that was failure on both their parts as the Blazers likely aren't going to get best possible deal from the the Heat or Nets.

Also, it was probably for the best they got Scoot this year because the 2024 draft looks very weak.
Image
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4990
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Yeah, I'm probably wrong about the Grant deal; it looks like Cronin would do it anyway. I think that's really stupid on a rebuilding team, but apparently that part may not be Lillard's fault.
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

I've seen it said that Grant may not have officially signed either.
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by greenyellow »


Image
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4990
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:I've seen it said that Grant may not have officially signed either.
Well, he can't yet, the actual free agent period doesn't open until 7/6.
User avatar
Boom
All Pac-12
Posts: 5776
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:32 pm
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:Yeah, I'm probably wrong about the Grant deal; it looks like Cronin would do it anyway. I think that's really stupid on a rebuilding team, but apparently that part may not be Lillard's fault.
They have to pay someone. I believe they will be able to trade it later.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by greenyellow »

Boom wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Yeah, I'm probably wrong about the Grant deal; it looks like Cronin would do it anyway. I think that's really stupid on a rebuilding team, but apparently that part may not be Lillard's fault.
They have to pay someone. I believe they will be able to trade it later.
Grant is likely going to be gone sometime in the next 2 years. He'll be a trade piece for whenever Portland needs to make a deal to add another starter, more draft picks, or bench depth.
Image
User avatar
pudgejeff
All Pac-12
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 am
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:Yeah, I'm probably wrong about the Grant deal; it looks like Cronin would do it anyway. I think that's really stupid on a rebuilding team, but apparently that part may not be Lillard's fault.
Guessing just signing so they can trade and get something back.
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4990
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Guys are here acting like Grant has some attractive contract that teams will be lining up to get their hands on. I doubt it. It was a reach by at least $5 million per year over his market value.
Post Reply