Ismael Sopsher
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Ismael Sopher
Is this offer worth it?
-
TualatinDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2439
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
- Location: Tualatin
Re: Ismael Sopher
In order to land Ismael, yes.jimmy12 wrote:Is this offer worth it?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: Ismael Sopher
Was it worth it for cal to offer Maynard to get Keenan Allen..... perhaps not lol.
In all seriousness I think a top 10 recruit is worth ostensibly 2 scholarships.
I also wonder if they purposely waited to offer his brother in hopes that the family takes a second trip out?
In all seriousness I think a top 10 recruit is worth ostensibly 2 scholarships.
I also wonder if they purposely waited to offer his brother in hopes that the family takes a second trip out?
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15151
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Ismael Sopher
It gives me a lot of optimism that Oregon offered this late, almost makes me feel like Ishmael told the coaches he’ll go to Oregon if Rodney gets an offer. If LSU was such a heavy favorite like everyone says why offer Rodney then? This seems like a good sign to me.

-
Greenblood
- Senior
- Posts: 3447
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 pm
Re: Ismael Sopher
Careful, OF4L. I have the impression it's usually not appropriate to express optimism on the recruiting board.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Ismael Sopsher
I still have a tough time imagining LSU isn't the heavy favorite, but to respond to the "Is it worth it offering the brother" question- Because the brother is a JUCO with 2 years left, he only counts against Oregon for a couple years instead of all 4. That makes the offer easier to swallow, IMO.
-
RebelDuck
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 233
- Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Exactly. Worth the riskStevensTechU wrote:I still have a tough time imagining LSU isn't the heavy favorite, but to respond to the "Is it worth it offering the brother" question- Because the brother is a JUCO with 2 years left, he only counts against Oregon for a couple years instead of all 4. That makes the offer easier to swallow, IMO.
-
Duck24
- Senior
- Posts: 4744
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am
- Location: Portland, OR
Re: Ismael Sopher
Hines ain’t here so he’s good.Greenblood wrote:Careful, OF4L. I have the impression it's usually not appropriate to express optimism on the recruiting board.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Agreed.StevensTechU wrote:I still have a tough time imagining LSU isn't the heavy favorite, but to respond to the "Is it worth it offering the brother" question- Because the brother is a JUCO with 2 years left, he only counts against Oregon for a couple years instead of all 4. That makes the offer easier to swallow, IMO.
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Its poker and we just raised (or called).
- DuckMastaFunk
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm
Re: Ismael Sopsher
I’m not sure if throwing money on the table is the imagery we want to portray in recruiting.UofDuck wrote:Its poker and we just raised (or called).
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Mario at the table with a big “Cuban” cigar pressuring LSU to go all in or fold.
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
FWIW Ishmael fell in Rivals' rankings from 18th overall to 72nd.
I've been saying for a long time that it's a no-brainer to take him and Rodney. If we made the offers I'm assuming either we're still in it or going for a Hail Mary. I have to wonder if this was discussed with Ish on his visit, maybe they're trying to get the family back up on another visit.
I like this, put the full court press on him. The West Coast very rarely has a player of Sopsher's potential. 6'4" 330 with that kind of athleticism is rare.
I've been saying for a long time that it's a no-brainer to take him and Rodney. If we made the offers I'm assuming either we're still in it or going for a Hail Mary. I have to wonder if this was discussed with Ish on his visit, maybe they're trying to get the family back up on another visit.
I like this, put the full court press on him. The West Coast very rarely has a player of Sopsher's potential. 6'4" 330 with that kind of athleticism is rare.
-
droop10
- Freshman
- Posts: 1413
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
There have been rumors that Sopsher's brother might not even qualify. If that's the case, it might not even cost a schollie. Then, it's just the symbolic notion of extending the offer, which would be ideal. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of allowing prospects to essentially blackmail coaches to get them to consider their school, so I'm hoping this is just a symbolic offer. I guess we'll see. I'm still a bit skeptical that they have a legitimate shot at him.
