Page 3 of 6

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:00 pm
by greenyellow
Oregon has finally offered his brother:

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:42 pm
by jimmy12
Is this offer worth it?

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm
by TualatinDuck
jimmy12 wrote:Is this offer worth it?
In order to land Ismael, yes.

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:15 pm
by lukeyrid13
Was it worth it for cal to offer Maynard to get Keenan Allen..... perhaps not lol.

In all seriousness I think a top 10 recruit is worth ostensibly 2 scholarships.

I also wonder if they purposely waited to offer his brother in hopes that the family takes a second trip out?

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:29 pm
by OregonFan4Life
It gives me a lot of optimism that Oregon offered this late, almost makes me feel like Ishmael told the coaches he’ll go to Oregon if Rodney gets an offer. If LSU was such a heavy favorite like everyone says why offer Rodney then? This seems like a good sign to me.

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm
by Greenblood
Careful, OF4L. I have the impression it's usually not appropriate to express optimism on the recruiting board.

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 pm
by StevensTechU
I still have a tough time imagining LSU isn't the heavy favorite, but to respond to the "Is it worth it offering the brother" question- Because the brother is a JUCO with 2 years left, he only counts against Oregon for a couple years instead of all 4. That makes the offer easier to swallow, IMO.

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm
by RebelDuck
StevensTechU wrote:I still have a tough time imagining LSU isn't the heavy favorite, but to respond to the "Is it worth it offering the brother" question- Because the brother is a JUCO with 2 years left, he only counts against Oregon for a couple years instead of all 4. That makes the offer easier to swallow, IMO.
Exactly. Worth the risk

Re: Ismael Sopher

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:33 pm
by Duck24
Greenblood wrote:Careful, OF4L. I have the impression it's usually not appropriate to express optimism on the recruiting board.
Hines ain’t here so he’s good.

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 am
by jimmy12
StevensTechU wrote:I still have a tough time imagining LSU isn't the heavy favorite, but to respond to the "Is it worth it offering the brother" question- Because the brother is a JUCO with 2 years left, he only counts against Oregon for a couple years instead of all 4. That makes the offer easier to swallow, IMO.
Agreed.

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:50 am
by UofDuck
Its poker and we just raised (or called).

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 am
by DuckMastaFunk
UofDuck wrote:Its poker and we just raised (or called).
I’m not sure if throwing money on the table is the imagery we want to portray in recruiting.
:lol: ;)

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 am
by UofDuck
Mario at the table with a big “Cuban” cigar pressuring LSU to go all in or fold.

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm
by GoDucksTroll
FWIW Ishmael fell in Rivals' rankings from 18th overall to 72nd.

I've been saying for a long time that it's a no-brainer to take him and Rodney. If we made the offers I'm assuming either we're still in it or going for a Hail Mary. I have to wonder if this was discussed with Ish on his visit, maybe they're trying to get the family back up on another visit.

I like this, put the full court press on him. The West Coast very rarely has a player of Sopsher's potential. 6'4" 330 with that kind of athleticism is rare.

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 pm
by droop10
There have been rumors that Sopsher's brother might not even qualify. If that's the case, it might not even cost a schollie. Then, it's just the symbolic notion of extending the offer, which would be ideal. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of allowing prospects to essentially blackmail coaches to get them to consider their school, so I'm hoping this is just a symbolic offer. I guess we'll see. I'm still a bit skeptical that they have a legitimate shot at him.