Page 3 of 3

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:23 pm
by Boom
http://www.kval.com/sports/102936474.html
The source also says the interaction between the agent and Dunigan also went so far as money being promised to Dunigan and his mother. In addition, the agent also attempted to "package" Dunigan, Crittle, and Humphrey to get them out of the Oregon program and to the "best program possible".

This makes it sound like the interaction happened wile we were without a coach....... and it doesn't necessarily mean anything happened.....

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... gatio.html
Former assistant Yasir Rosemond said Kent and his staff never tolerated the presence of agents, but when Kent was dismissed on March 17, the program was a rudderless ship until Altman was hired on April 26.

"If you go (40) days without a coach, anybody can get in there on your program," said Rosemond, now an assistant to coach Cameron Dollar at Seattle University
.


^ there's one side of the story

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 pm
by BillM
Boom . . . I didn't say he was going to walk away from 1.8 million. I understand now why he might not have a signed contract . . . if he's waiting for a clause about violations that might have taken place before he became coach. Maybe he's waiting for the investigation to wrap up. Sheesh!

I do think that as long as we were paying EK's assistants, they should have continued to keep agents away from his players.

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:52 pm
by Boom
BillM wrote:Boom . . . I didn't say he was going to walk away from 1.8 million. I understand now why he might not have a signed contract . . . if he's waiting for a clause about violations that might have taken place before he became coach. Maybe he's waiting for the investigation to wrap up. Sheesh!
wasn't responding to you.
BillM wrote:I do think that as long as we were paying EK's assistants, they should have continued to keep agents away from his players.
And how were they suppose to do that..... You expect them to tap their cell phones and camp outside their dorm rooms?

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:06 pm
by BillM
I had read that Rosemond was working out with the guys and Payne was around until a month after Altman was hired. I think everyone knew Payne was staying on or heading to Kentucky, so I don't think he was out of town during the all-too-long search interviewing for other jobs. I just think that EK and his staff worked too hard to keep the program clean to let it all circle the drain by not continuing to keep the kids honest. Ultimately they are responsible for the decisions they made, but how could those players not have known they were jeopardizing their eligibility with us or any team they transferred to.

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:22 pm
by Boom
BillM wrote:I had read that Rosemond was working out with the guys and Payne was around until a month after Altman was hired. I think everyone knew Payne was staying on or heading to Kentucky, so I don't think he was out of town during the all-too-long search interviewing for other jobs. I just think that EK and his staff worked too hard to keep the program clean to let it all circle the drain by not continuing to keep the kids honest
how do you know they changed the way they handled the kids?..... you don't.

We had one of the most embarrassingly long coaching searches ever in college basketball....... This created instability within our program and gave an open invitation to people to poach our players..... How is an assistant coach suppose to stop that?

BillM wrote:Ultimately they are responsible for the decisions they made, but how could those players not have known they were jeopardizing their eligibility with us or any team they transferred to.
So far all we have is an email........ we don't know if anyone actually did anything wrong.

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 am
by maxduck
duckfan22 wrote:i wonder if there is a clause that would
let Altman walk.
I'm sure he wouldn't have
come here if he would have known.
Where would he go? Not many openings this time of year and Oregon would be under no legal obligation to pay him. The correct expression is "Between a rock and a hard place".

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 am
by duckfan22
Where would he go? Not many openings this time of year and Oregon would be under no legal obligation to pay him. The correct expression is "Between a rock and a hard place".

true. but what i was saying was would he have taken job
at time he was hired or just stayed at Creighton. i'm sure
he would have not taken this job.

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 am
by BillM
Our coaches are out recruiting and hearing from parents who are nervous about the NCAA investigation. EK is out defending our program; Rosemond is too. These coaches recruited these kids to Oregon, and I'm sorry if I feel that they had a responsibility to continue to work with and counsel them after EK was fired. I would think that the relationship they had established with them would have been enough reason . . . beyond whatever money we were still paying them. But, ultimately the kids are responsible for their own actions, even if we pay the price for them. Nervous parents and other coaches using the investigation against us are already making Altman's job more difficult.

But, I've got great seats in the new arena and will be there to support my Ducks . . . as I always have. No one was happy with the prolonged and ugly search for a coach, but that is not a good enough reason to create more problems for the program. EK ran a clean program and those kids knew what they needed to do to keep their eligibility.

Re: Dunigan's Eligibility Being Questioned

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:56 pm
by woundedknees
If the KVAL allegations prove forrect, for any of the players, the whole problem likely could have been avoided with a little timely communication.

How hard is it to call a coach, assistant or otherwise, and say, "Hey, some dude just offered me $X to help transfer to another program?

It's not like the the compliance dept. doesn't spend time trying to educate these guys on the proprieties involved.