Re: North Dakota State @ Oregon
Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:15 pm
^ He might have been "average".... but Longmire was easily the best perimeter defender this team had last year
Oregon Ducks Sports Message Board Forum
https://ducksattack.com/forum/
Because it was painfully obvious that he was the only decent defender on the roster. He had very good length and for the most part he played with a lot of effort (more than most). I don't ever really recall Ernie praising anyone on that team or Longmire specifically...... So I don't think that's the reason people have that perception.....uostudent wrote:Calling Longmire the best perimeter defender on the team really isn't saying much.
Williams- played well early on, then Kent inexplicably cut his playing time. Teondre then had academic issues and Kent (rightfully) punished him by sitting him out for a few games. After that, Williams played sparingly. Williams didn't always rotate well, but he was more physical than any other perimeter player.
Sim- terrible all around player. Has unfortunately been a huge bust.
Jamil Wilson- was a true freshman, who received inconsistent minutes. Really hard to judge his ability as a defender.
Matthew Humphrey- below average defender.
Singler- average/slightly below average man to man defender, fairly good help defender
Go through the game logs last year. Opposing swingmen absolutely lit up Longmire. Part of it may have been that Oregon was just an all around terrible defensive team. Longmire lacked the lateral quickness to be a capable defender. He also had poor basketball IQ. Other than Ernie professing his admiration for Longmire's defensive ability, what makes you believe that he was even a decent defender?
I think Teondre's head will be in the game more often since he knows he won't get pulled for making a mistake because there's no one really left to replace him and he can now be a go-to player in DA's system.oregontrack wrote:I think we're all in agreement that we were a bad defensive team. As I said above, Longmire being our best defender needs to be put in context to our situation. He was our best defender, even if he wouldn't have made much of a dent in a rotation on a good team in a good program. However, he gave us our "best" chance at limiting the opposition. He was, at least, mildly disruptive, and knew what he was doing. Teondre's head often wasn't in the building. I'm hoping that's changed, perhaps nobody has as much potential on this team as he does.
Teondre was lost on defense last night too...Altman pulled him for it at least twice...So it's not getting any bettergreenyellow wrote:I think Teondre's head will be in the game more often since he knows he won't get pulled for making a mistake because there's no one really left to replace him and he can now be a go-to player in DA's system.oregontrack wrote:I think we're all in agreement that we were a bad defensive team. As I said above, Longmire being our best defender needs to be put in context to our situation. He was our best defender, even if he wouldn't have made much of a dent in a rotation on a good team in a good program. However, he gave us our "best" chance at limiting the opposition. He was, at least, mildly disruptive, and knew what he was doing. Teondre's head often wasn't in the building. I'm hoping that's changed, perhaps nobody has as much potential on this team as he does.