Catron is going to need some help so getting Jeremy Jacob back playing shape is key. Now we just need some more people who can hit from outside. Right now, Armstead, Strowbridge, and Sim are very inconsistent shooting it. Our only consistent shooters so far have been Williams and Singler. Once Altman can get his guards hitting, the team should be a hard game for anyone.oregontrack wrote:Agreed. And when we do hit the treys, you can see the in-game adjustments that Altman is allowed. Teondre and Sim each hit two treys in the first half, and SJSU adjusted at halftime and stretch the defense out to blanket the perimeter. Under Ernie, we just would have kept firing deep shots even if we weren't open. Yesterday, they took away the longball and we started forcing it inside to Catron, who had a great second half (I think 18 of his 25 came after the break?). It's great to see simple, fundamental basketball like that, which high school coaches around the country have mastered but Big Ern never did.
I have no idea why Sim is getting so much hate in this thread, he played fine. SJSU took everybody in the building by surprise late, everybody assumed the last play was going to Oliver. Our team sure as hell did. Instead, they used him as a decoy and our own defensive positioning presented Graham, their PG, an open lane with only Sim in his way to an easy bucket. Sim either had to foul or give up an easy look, unfortunately he didn't foul hard enough and Graham still converted.
San Jose State @ Oregon
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon

-
duckgrad99
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6086
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
- Location: San Diego
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
We had some bad possessions late; bad turnovers, bad shots,” said Altman. “I thought we had a better idea of what we wanted but obviously I didn’t do my job. We’ve got a lot of work to do, I told the guys that.”
Quite a difference from the things Kent would say. Tough loss, but this is going to happen in a transition year.
Quite a difference from the things Kent would say. Tough loss, but this is going to happen in a transition year.

-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8651
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
I was too hard on Sim, he actually had a pretty good game. I was just extremely frustrated just having watched the whole game & watching us let it slip away. But you can't help but see the positives from this team. We played pretty terrible in a few important areas against a good team & still had to give it away at the end. I'm definitely loving what Altman's doing.

-
woundedknees
- All-American
- Posts: 12821
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
No doubt there was plenty of talent on last season's team to handle San Jose State, but... I am not sure the guys would have been well enough coached, along with in-game adjustments, to be close to what we witnessed yesterday.
Altman is definitely a man with a plan.
Altman is definitely a man with a plan.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!


- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
He is definitely better at switching his tactics in game; it's just the execution by the players that has been lackluster. They'll get it by the time conference play starts and I think they will shock some teams and fans with how improved they are.woundedknees wrote:No doubt there was plenty of talent on last season's team to handle San Jose State, but... I am not sure the guys would have been well enough coached, along with in-game adjustments, to be close to what we witnessed yesterday.
Altman is definitely a man with a plan.
