Page 3 of 3
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:42 pm
by greenyellow
oregontrack wrote:Agreed. And when we do hit the treys, you can see the in-game adjustments that Altman is allowed. Teondre and Sim each hit two treys in the first half, and SJSU adjusted at halftime and stretch the defense out to blanket the perimeter. Under Ernie, we just would have kept firing deep shots even if we weren't open. Yesterday, they took away the longball and we started forcing it inside to Catron, who had a great second half (I think 18 of his 25 came after the break?). It's great to see simple, fundamental basketball like that, which high school coaches around the country have mastered but Big Ern never did.
I have no idea why Sim is getting so much hate in this thread, he played fine. SJSU took everybody in the building by surprise late, everybody assumed the last play was going to Oliver. Our team sure as hell did. Instead, they used him as a decoy and our own defensive positioning presented Graham, their PG, an open lane with only Sim in his way to an easy bucket. Sim either had to foul or give up an easy look, unfortunately he didn't foul hard enough and Graham still converted.
Catron is going to need some help so getting Jeremy Jacob back playing shape is key. Now we just need some more people who can hit from outside. Right now, Armstead, Strowbridge, and Sim are very inconsistent shooting it. Our only consistent shooters so far have been Williams and Singler. Once Altman can get his guards hitting, the team should be a hard game for anyone.
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 pm
by duckgrad99
We had some bad possessions late; bad turnovers, bad shots,” said Altman. “I thought we had a better idea of what we wanted but obviously I didn’t do my job. We’ve got a lot of work to do, I told the guys that.”
Quite a difference from the things Kent would say. Tough loss, but this is going to happen in a transition year.
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
I was too hard on Sim, he actually had a pretty good game. I was just extremely frustrated just having watched the whole game & watching us let it slip away. But you can't help but see the positives from this team. We played pretty terrible in a few important areas against a good team & still had to give it away at the end. I'm definitely loving what Altman's doing.
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 am
by woundedknees
No doubt there was plenty of talent on last season's team to handle San Jose State, but... I am not sure the guys would have been well enough coached, along with in-game adjustments, to be close to what we witnessed yesterday.
Altman is definitely a man with a plan.
Re: San Jose State @ Oregon
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:44 pm
by greenyellow
woundedknees wrote:No doubt there was plenty of talent on last season's team to handle San Jose State, but... I am not sure the guys would have been well enough coached, along with in-game adjustments, to be close to what we witnessed yesterday.
Altman is definitely a man with a plan.
He is definitely better at switching his tactics in game; it's just the execution by the players that has been lackluster. They'll get it by the time conference play starts and I think they will shock some teams and fans with how improved they are.